• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I fight for PTSD?

Rate this question

Fearless

Question

Hello everyone. 

Some background info:

1. I have a 70% SC rating for  Major depression
  2. I'm diagnosed with Major depression and unspecified anxiety disorder.

My LCSW said that I suffer from PTSD and that my depression and anxiety are all symptoms of it. She was baffled as to why the VA has not added PTSD to my problems list. 

Should I even bother with getting this changed to PTSD , or hold what I got? 

@Buck52

I'm dx with Major depression, recurrent with psychotic features & unspecified anxiety disorder 

@GeekySquid

I didn't think that I had PTSD because I never saw combat. My LCSW explained to me that combat was not the only way someone could get PTSD, and that I fit the criteria  for non combat PTSD. I still feel a little denial, but everything we discuss during therapy points to PTSD. The funny thing is that she dx me with PTSD and the shrink says it is not true PTSD because I never saw combat. He says I experienced trauma, but doesn't want to call it PTSD. 

Thanks all for the response.

50 minutes ago, Fearless said:

he shrink says it is not true PTSD because I never saw combat.

your LCSW is right and the shrink is a jackass.

PTSD is not limited to being shot, shot down, or having you buddies blown up in front of you.

If they put that in a PTSD denial you would all the ammunition you need to get that award reversed

1 hour ago, GeekySquid said:

your LCSW is right and the shrink is a jackass.

PTSD is not limited to being shot, shot down, or having you buddies blown up in front of you.

If they put that in a PTSD denial you would all the ammunition you need to get that award reversed

exactly, I had a psychiatrist at the VA tell me that MST doesn't happen anymore that the military "fixed" that........I walked out of her office and got a never psychiatrist at another VA facility.  I had MST flagged in my records for a very long time, I had already been diagnosed with PTSD and have more than mh diagnoses and she was one of the worst providers I have ever seen.  Don't put up with providers dismissing you, it isn't okay, ever.  Non combat ptsd is far more common than many are aware of.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have 70% for major depression you can easily get TDIU which is almost as good as 100% rating.  Are you able to work?  The thing about depression is that is usually very treatable whereas chronic PTSD is not so treatable.   The VA does tend to see many claims for mental problems as a claim for PTSD.  If you get a rating for TDIU or 100% and you get P&T then you are pretty much home free.  I would shoot for that goal is I was totally disable.

10 hours ago, seminoles said:

exactly, I had a psychiatrist at the VA tell me that MST doesn't happen anymore that the military "fixed" that........I walked out of her office and got a never psychiatrist at another VA facility.  I had MST flagged in my records for a very long time,

glad you did that, sorry you experienced it. Hope you filed a complaint with VA and Medical Board in your State.

10 hours ago, seminoles said:

Don't put up with providers dismissing you, it isn't okay, ever. 

nope but some of them seem to think the MD behind their names means more than they survived Medical School.