Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Success Stair Glide and Home Health Aide and Voc Rehab ILP

Rate this topic

Tbird

• Founder

Been having some problems getting around, couldn't get my lymphedema wraps on, my knees are going and standing for any length of time was becoming challenging. In desperation I asked my primary care clinic to get me in touch with a social worker, I explained my plight and she made an appointment to come and see me, we talked about what I needed help with and she sent someone out to the house to evaluate it they gave me a stair glide so i can upstairs i live in the basement, something for the side of my bed to pull myself out of bed, a new shower head. They would have put a ramp in for the front door but the size just didn't work for us. They also gave me a home health aide 7.5 hrs per week and she comes twice a week, she has been heaven sent, she helps me so much with my physical challenges and a side benefit I wasn't expecting is she seems to help with my anxiety and depression. Currently I only have her till December but I'm going to call in November to see if I can get it extended.

The VA also sent me into the community for my knee so now my appointments are only 10 minutes from my house. They gave me two different walkers and a wheelchair, I tried for a powerchair but didn't qualify,  as it happens my brother passed away this year and his daughter gave me his powerchair so i'm all set there for when i need it. I got to buy some batteries I think, these are charging.

Applied for Voc Rehab and was approved for Independent Living, the counselor told me a contractor will come to my house examine it for accessibility issues, and my needs for ergonomic desk set up, and whatever else they suggest. As you all know with Voc Rehab the devil is in the details so we will have to wait and see what they suggest, I will keep you posted.

The counselor said I would be better off to buy my next house now or sooner rather than later because it would put the money into my own home rather than my sisters. But financially that just can't happen right now, probably not for at least another two years. Couldn't live alone anymore and ended up in my sister's basement, can't afford rent here and mortgage payment so having to file bankruptcy. The bankruptcy laws changed recently and they no longer count VA compensation as countable income so I qualify for Chapter 7. I'm just going to get through this and get on with my life, a house is just a house, a home is with my family. Soon I will be able to buy a home with my niece and her family and that is where I will live out the rest of my days and nothing could make me happier. My niece is the daughter I never had and I am blessed each and everyday to have this wonderful woman in my life.

So thats my success and my update.

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

• HadIt.com Elder

This good to know Ms T bird  I hope you get everything you need And you hold on to your wish getting to live with your niece , and out of the basement from your sisters home. VA ILP seems to be a good program but unfortunately for some veterans can't get Approved?

I was wondering if the VA helps veterans with a Auto monthly payments?  our auto monthly payments are killing us along with a large house payment and other private Dr Bills from spouse.

I use the VA for most of my medical care but need good transportation to go to the VAMC, reason for the auto monthly payments  spouse uses medicare but some they do not pay on all her medical expense

we had thought about filing bankruptcy and give up the car  but then I can't get to the VA...THEY DON'T HAVE A VA SHUTTLE THAT COMES OUT THIS FAR where we live.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Ms. Tbird and Buck A comment for each of you. Ms. Tbird. All states are different but if you didn't already, ask the social worker how can you continue to get the home aide to come to your house. Sometimes the state has contingency funds to grant, or, the hospital has someway of helping. I believe you can get some help there if you work it hard enough.

Buck, as I said, things could be different at your VAMC, but I know in R.I. a veteran that is 85 (?) and at least 30% disabled , very low income, or VA pension, you can get personal transportation to and from.That includes special trans like an ambulance, if needed. I don't know how old you are (you do look young for your age!), but call the transportation group and/or the veterans' patient advocate and see what they can tell you.

This is good news, I am happy that you were able to get the VA to make your life easier. Hopefully when you move in a year or two you have an easy time getting the VA to give you the aide you need.

I am not an attorney or an a credited VA rep. These are my personal opinions and experiences, always remember what worked for me may not work for you.

You as the veteran are your own best advocate and no one knows your disabilities better than you. It is highly recommended that you as the veteran research and verify that any opinion given meets your specific situation.

• 1 month later...
  • Founder

Good news on the Home Health Aide she got extended hopefully for another 6 months waiting for the details.

Still waiting for Voc Rehab. But I understand why I was approved at the end of fiscal year and new contracts had to be written and approved for the new fiscal year, i am keeping positive outlook on voc rehab, though if we started getting into 2020 and no word i will get concerned and make a call. So far my counselor has been pleasant, professional and open to questions. She even answers her phone.

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use