Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chronic Pain

Rate this question

chamilton

Question

hello all and Happy Holidays,

I have a active claim for Chronic Pain, I submitted it on Sept 30,2019 and according to ebenfits has a est. completion date of jan 20th 2020.  

My question is who of you have been awarded this claim, I didn't know anything about it my vep rep suggested i do it since i have a 10 yr history of pain and treatments, meds, xray, mri, injections pt ect.

I know they don't have a specific rating code for it and it goes under Mental DIsorder. if you have gotten a award for it what did you receive and do you think it was a fair rating.  My vet rep seems to think this will be no less then 50% . Thank you all.

• Lead Moderator

@Buck52 I started to go down this road of pain, but there is no rating from what I found.  So I had to find the closest things to my pain and then go after that direction.  I saw many denied decision on pain and then rerouted to some other condition.  

I would say keep us updated, but don't be surprised if it is denied or linked to another condition or something way off the chart to some other condition.  

Please update us once the decision comes in.

5 hours ago, broncovet said:

Predicting what a decision maker will do, is like predicting the weather.  I would say its a coin toss.  

Is this pain disorder affecting your work?  

yes, i generally run out of Vacation or personal time around sept thru october.

2 hours ago, Buck52 said:

chamilton 

''My vet rep seems to think this will be no less then 50% ''

Maybe your vet rep knows more than most of us here?

how does he/.she knows this you will get a 50% rating for pain?

where does he get this Information?

I have no idea where he got the percentage from, just what the man said. 

a buddie of mine is a review officer at the VA for claim of comp. He said its all about time lines. like much issues at the va.

if you have a solid string of events over days, months years then it will go into your favor.

my claim is not for chronic pain alone. its 

lower lumber INC im at 10% now

arthritis

SI joint

chronic pain

im pretty new at this, ive been out in civ div for almost 11 years and this is the 1st time ive started the claim process, until about 1 year ago I didnt even know you got paid for disability. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Well if the pain has to be coming from a S.C. Condition or diseases , how  much do they rate the pain itself???

like if a Veteran has  Bad Chronic Back Pain and is rated say 50%  for his Back condition ok with that rating do they channel down and notice he is rated at 50% disabled &  they  put or add a   percent on that sc condition ?

so I am thinking 50%  then he should get an additional 10% for the pain...to equal a 60% rating

I think it just means a increase in Rating.

So if this is how they do it ?  most veterans with S.C. Condition Injury or diseases with chronic pain  should file a claim for pain... if approved it means an Increase in your S.C. Disability.

Edited by Buck52

@chamilton,  as far as rating pain levels, none exists, but, you can make your pain levels verbally known every time you visit your VA doctor, as they are supposed to ask you about pain.

Pull up your answers to the pain questions from myhealthevet files, and use them to your advantage when filing claims.

OH, and feel free to say "Merry Christmas", the "happy holidays" in my opinion, has wore itself out!

Merry Christmas!

Allan 2-2-0 HUAH!

Chronic pain is an interesting thing.  I have chronic pain syndrome and have been under treatment for 12 years.  The VA generally ignores my symptoms and does not rate them, even secondarily to my SC condition.  Let us know how it turns out and hopefully we can learn from you in your journey.  I do not report my symptoms of pain very high usually since I am taking pain killers, not through the VA though.  I do not know of anyone who has received a pain rating either.