VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can dad go from SS to SSDI now that's he's SC

Rate this question

killemall

Question

My dad is 63

He retired from us post office at 55

He was under the old crs system and not the new Fers retirement system. So he paid very little into social security.

He did pay 4 years as while in the airforce

Then after retiring post office he worked at Wal-Mart for 4 years and paid into SS

He currently gets aprox $300 a month from SS

He has recently received a rating of 80% from the VA.

Is he now eligible to convert from regular SS to SSDI through the Wounded Warrior program and perhaps receive more money from social security?

Or is it too late?

Thank you

I just received a letter from SSA.. they informed me that because I have reached age 65 I can not longer draw SSDI..... I will continue drawing SS at the same rate, but since I am 65, I will now be classified as reaching full retirement age and draw Social Security as a retiree.... I was dumbfounded to get this letter, especially since I turned 65 last February.... 

• HadIt.com Elder
4 hours ago, Richard1954 said:

I just received a letter from SSA.. they informed me that because I have reached age 65 I can not longer draw SSDI..... I will continue drawing SS at the same rate, but since I am 65, I will now be classified as reaching full retirement age and draw Social Security as a retiree.... I was dumbfounded to get this letter, especially since I turned 65 last February.... 

HOW CAN THEY STOP YOUR SSDI BECAUSE YOU TURN 65?  THATS NOT RIGHT ONCE YOU TURN 65  YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO KEEP THE SSDI WITH MEDICARE ADDED IN.

Unless they give you SSR  Social security Retirement?

• HadIt.com Elder
On 1/31/2020 at 9:19 PM, Hamslice said:

As an example,

My SSI when I turn 62 is about 1300,

When I reach full benefit age, my SSI will be about 1600,

And if I wait to max date of age 70, about 2050,

But, my SSDI amount is same as my full benefit of about 1600, I just checked.

So, technically, I could collect 1300 for a year or two and then get disabled and collect 1600.

I do NOT have to be retired to draw my 1300 at age 62.  So, yeah, I could be working drawing, and get injured, or become diseased, and draw 1600 etc.

Just sayin,

Hamslice

Hamslice

My brother retried from the Army 20 years in and made the highest  em rank Sargent Major ,

He served in Germany and Vietnam, & Korea

Anyway after he retired he started teaching school up Garden City Kansas  for  the unfit kids that got into trouble it was some type of drill school he mad men out of these mis-fits.

.ok he also retired from that  he is 72 and waited to get SSR and he is glad he did now.

he does get a small 30% compensation from VA but his double retirement sure comes in handy  he gets the full load on SSR  Because he waited until he turn 70

As I understand it?

Edited by Buck52

Buck,

Each person has to figure out what works for them for retirement.  Your brother sounds like he has his retirement funding under control.

There are calculators for SSI on the net, and basically for me, the breakout for profitability if I wait to collect until 70, versus age 62, is age 85.  While, genetics proves I could live to 100, my mom is almost 90 and my paternal grandma live to 100, I, like my dad are/were overweight, high blood pressure, etc.  He live til age 81.

I am eating a piece of cheesecake as I type this,

Just sayin,

Hamslice

It is true with SSI, I will start to collect it around the end of the year, I will be 63. For me with my 2nd marriage I have two young boys who will be able to get SS when I start drawing it. Plus like Hamslice states for breaking even on SS vs full retirement is even higher since I would figure in my boys as well, mine would be closer to the late 80s. I hope I will live a long life but as we all know one never knows when it is our time. Plus who knows if SS will even last or will eventually run out like other benefits have.

Everyone really needs to figure it out for themselves for what is best for them. 

9 hours ago, Buck52 said:

Unless they give you SSR  Social security Retirement?

Exactly, and that is what they did....its the same amount of money... but now they say I am retired and apparently my disability doesn't matter any more..  In fact they sent my spouse a letter saying since I was now considered retired, that she will only draw one check ( she was getting an amount based on my SSD as well as her own SS) instead she will get the same amount of money as before but only one check.. like any of this really means anything .... seems like they wasted their time and money sending the letters because the money is the same and other than going from SSDI to SSR  nothing changed ,maybe it has to do with the numbers they keep in each category.