Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chapter 35 eligibility question

Rate this question

LanceJoseph

Question

I was just recently rated 100% P&T and was told I am eligible for chapter 35 DEA benefits. I do not currently have any dependents. I was told that DEA benefits have a shelf life of 10 years to be used. So in my situation my possible future children could not use this benefit? 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@pete992 is right about exceptions. You'll have to contact the VA and ask what those are.

Per your request: https://www.va.gov/education/survivor-dependent-benefits/

Duration of benefits for spouses: 
20 years from the service member’s date of death if they died on active duty, or 10 years from the date we determine they qualify or from the Veteran’s date of death (there may be exceptions).
Duration of benefits for spouses: 
15 years from the service member’s date of death (but spouses lose this benefit if they remarry).
Duration of benefits for children: 
May use benefits between ages 18 and 26 (there may be exceptions).
Duration of benefits for children: 
Qualify as of their 18th birthday, and can use this benefit until their 33rd birthday.
Maximum months of benefits: 
45 months
Maximum months of benefits: 
36 months

Congratulations!!!

Above and beyond this, did you get your 10,000 free life insurance?  That is a whole life policy where VA has waiver of premiums, and it has cash value you can "cash in" even if you live.  Mine is worth about 4,000 now if I cash it in, more if I wait.  

There are other benefits, some according to your state.  State Veterans often get all or some part of property taxes paid, stuff like hunting and fishing licenses free, license plates for free, etc.  

If you dont use em you lose em.  

You children can use the Chapter 35 Benefits as long as they are under 26.. the benefits do not expire..  You spouse has 10 years to use the benefit from the date of the award, or date of notification which ever is later.  IN the case of  not having a spouse.... all you would have to do is to advise the VA when you marry, and they will make an exception to the rule. Also even if your children are married out of the house as long as they are under 26 they can still use the benefit. In addition, once you have dependents , the children can get a military ID card at age 10, and your spouse as soon as your married.  Oh and by the way, I was awarded chapter 35 benefits twice,( once when awarded TDIU and again when rated 100%)  which entitled my spouse  and children to 90 months of benefits.

Edited by Richard1954
spelling

3 hours ago, broncovet said:

Above and beyond this, did you get your 10,000 free life insurance?

Broncovet is correct about the free life insurance, and in addition you can also purchase $20,000 more. 

• HadIt.com Elder

On Life Insurance, you can get additional $30K worth, called Supplemental S-DVI free. However, the veteran has to be under 65, and must apply within 1 year from the notice of the grant of waiver. The under 65 is a high bar for a lot of veterans.