VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question to forum members who have a high percentage disability rating (80% or more)

Rate this topic

Hucast21

• Founder

i started HadIt.com as a way of giving back to all my brothers and sisters. I also take photo's, once i take an interesting picture i change it to black and white and then paint it on my ipad, i'm a terrible artist but it does give me something to do. i try to think of things that would improve the site and then teach myself how to do it. I sometimes take courses at great courses plus, i look for interesting computer programs i can teach myself. i listen to audiobooks, when the weather is warm i try to sit outside a lot it helps my mental state and its safe where i live. i play with my doggy. 

Currently i am teaching my niece Amanda the website so when the time comes she can take over and the site can go on.

• HadIt.com Elder

Ms Tbird That's what i;m taklin' about! You have to try to make the best of things. Sitting in the house and just feeling sorry for yourself just doesn't help anything.

Nice to see you have a plan going forward.  Just give Amanda small bites at a time so she doesn't get overwhelmed  And people will step up and give a hand if needed. There's a lot of experience on here, including some of our computer nerds; all you have to do is ask, just like anything else on Hadit.

These are the best times of my life (prior to Corona Virus). While I still suffer from depression and hearing loss,   My marriage, my relationships with my kids and friends, and with God are the best they have ever been.  

Yes, I still "work", but now I work at doing good for others.  I have helped ALL my kids in a very significant way, with my retro, as well as my church and have singled out several of my church friends to help.  Last year,  I made about 5 "heirloom quality" gifts out of wood in my garage.  

The "key", in my opinion, was "all about forgiveness".  By getting rid of "toxic unforgiveness", with God's help, a burden was lifted from me and now, I get to enjoy the fruit of God's many blessings, because God did not want to forgive me, until I first forgave those who trespassed against me.  Now that I have forgiven every single person who has ever wronged me, that I can remember, I get to bask in his forgiveness and grace.  I am judged by the same measure to which I judge others, knowing that, I need to be judged generously.  

One example is my "ex" father in law.  He was very mad at me..and, I get that.  I protect and defend my daughter also.  I had thought for some time about how to make amends with him.  

One day, I saw my wife on the computer..she likes to make "photo" calendars online, then give them to her daughters.  Always of our grandkids.  And then, the idea came to me!

My grandkids are his GREAT grandkids!  So, I asked her to make another calendar of the grandkids for him.  I think it cost me $12.   I sent it to him.  Who could be mad at someone who made a wonderful calendar with pictures of their grandkids?  

It worked and he called me to thank me.   My wife and I go see him about once a year.  I try to bring him something he likes..last time it was delicious ribs.  He is always glad to see me, and there is never any friction.  Never.  Not everyone is my friend, but I have 0 enemies.   It doesnt get any better than this.  

Edited by broncovet

I tend to do some light gardening. Spices are simple, and can provide a simple sense of accomplishment you get to savor with your (family) meals. Other than that you'll catch my poking around in my shed, making crafts and simple projects that I can handle and put away for a time if I need to. I also surf the web, as most of us here do to some extent or another. Learning the ways of living for one's self can be an arduous process, and sometimes looking inward at oneself is too much for some. From the examples you wrote of those who made shallow choices - we can learn from their mistakes.

I'm "young" - and so I don't have a "plan" as to what I will do... My plan was to stay in the Corps 'till one day I retire.

Boy, that changed real fast...seems like a blur how fast I was flown through separation years ago, with many medical ailments in tow.

I make decisions planning "toward" a future, of one form or another,  but merely as guidelines meant to help keep the train from derailing.

Now it's something to the effect of - raise my kids, make more friends, smile and laugh when I can, and NEVER sweat the small stuff. Do random acts of kindness and good deeds where applicable.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the "present" !

• HadIt.com Elder

For me I just make do with What I have.

I read a lot but my health is going down fast, before my military days and parts of it I love music and played guitar and just enjoy it very much  but since I lost most of my hearing  I can't play as well as I use to I  still  swat at it ever now and then but it only gets me more depressed because I can't do the things I loved so dearly , but this is what fate has delivered to me and I thank God Everyday for what I have and not what I want. or can not have.

My family has seen the worse  from being homeless living in our car with a baby and a 4 year old and no place to run or anything to eat and we pulled through from the grace of God...

I  remember a time we were out on the road middle of nowhere and my car got hot I had to pull over  this was around 2:00am I had the hood up on the car and my kids all scared crying my wife was scared  when a pick-up truck pulled up behind us  it was 3 big african american men  one got out had a crowbar in his hand..I didn't know what to do to protect my family I was scared   I remember feeling that way in Vietnam Its an awful feeling thinking that your about to die any moment , I looked up into the night sky and prayed dear lord please help me I have nothing to defend my family I place my faith and my life as well as my family's life in your hands....

.As it turn out this guy with the crow bar went to the back of their pick-up truck and used the crowbar to break open a old mental tool box  to open the lid   he got out a couple  gallons of water and brought over to me and put them on the fender  and said  just let it cool down then put the water in and we will be just 3 miles up the road on the right  we have a shop and we will repair your car.

Those guys repaired our car and offered us something to eat and drink  and never charge us a penny..I'll never forget them as long as I live.  they change a thermostat in my car  the old one was stuck shut and water could not flow through my car motor.

BE KIND TO OTHERS LOVE YOUR FELLOW MAN

I read this simple little prayer every morning 

''God Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I can not change COURAGE to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference .

Money is very nice to have if you have lots of money you can do just about what ever you want to do,  We all want lots of money ,but if you don't have money  you do what you have to do to survive , giving money to a church is nice thing  but it sure won't get you into heaven,

just say a simple prayer   say ''jesus come into my life I repent of my sins  I make you my lord and savior''

please get into a Bible based Church  your life will change God will take you places you never imagine.

:Source Joel Osteen 

Thank you all for the replies. I guess I need to mentally prepare myself for when I am awarded TDIU. 

What infuriates me is how the VA/raters possibly think most (or possibly all) veterans are lying or exaggerating about our disabilities in order to get compensation.

I have a B.S. in mathematics and could be easily making six figures if it were not for my disabilities. I barely finished my degree and internship with Lockheed Martin ($25/hr) because I missed so many days due to migraines.

Now, I cannot even hold a retail job. I would gladly give up a 100% rating for making six figures and having good health.

Seeing some of my classmates being so successful at a young age (22-25), while making $125k+ just adds to my bitterness. I do not wish bad health on anyone, and I wish the VA did a better job of rating our claims.

Also, giving veterans a large retro is still a slap in the face. I would rather have the VA rate my claim correctly the first time instead of waiting years of going through the appeals’ process.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use