Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The VA is open

Rate this question

pacmanx1

Question

Your local VARO is open for appointments only. After getting run around what form to file, I contacted my local VARO and ask them for a face to face interview.  They scheduled me an appointment that I just returned from so the VA is open. The veteran has to call his/her local VARO and not the 1 (800) number.

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

• HadIt.com Elder

Blahsaysme2u You should be able to get the RO contact number from any accredited VSO. If you don't use one, just call and they should be able to provide the local office phone number. That includes your county VSO's as well as any of the other "big" VSO's like VFW, AMVETS, etc.

All you have to do is GOOGLE, YAHOO, or BING  Department of Veterans affairs City and State. Then scroll down to their page and look for a local number.  Unfortunately, there have been times in the past where I called the 1-800 number and they would not give me the local VARO number, some states even disconnect their local number.

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

Getting thru to the RIGHT person in VA to solve your problem seems to be a carefully guarded secret by VA.  Yea, sure, you can google the phone numbers, but my experience is that person "rarely" answers the phone.  So, you leave a message.  

They call you back (maybe, if the call does not get lost in cyber space and if that doc is competent and returns calls).  and, of course, I dont hear the phone ring.  So it goes to my voicemail.  The number on call waiting is the "general" number for my VAMC, not the person who called, because, again, I think its a closely guarded secret VA employees direct number. So I cant return their call, because I dont know the number, just the general number.  

Yes, I can see that many dont have time to stand by the phone to answer calls.  Docs, for example, are very busy.  So, if the nurse calls you and you tell her to tell the doc (xxxyyyzzzz), well you dont know if that will ever be communicated, so you wind up on a communication hamster wheel.  

The end result is usually you can not communicate with them, or, at least, you have to be exceptionally persistent to ever get a call through.  Due to my hearing loss, I generally wind up giving up, because even if I do reach them, I cant understand most of what they say.  

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA has all sorts of benefits but they won't tell the vets about them unless they ask.  I wonder if this is VA policy?

2 hours ago, john999 said:

The VA has all sorts of benefits but they won't tell the vets about them unless they ask.  I wonder if this is VA policy?

I am not sure if this is policy, but I remember when the veteran called the 1 (800) number he would contact the VARO of that state, or he/she could ask to be transferred to the state where his/her C-File/claim was located. Now all you get is the call center that could transfer you but won't.  If the VA really wanted to help veterans, they could start allowing the 1 (800) number go back to the local state and get rid of the call centers. There is a VARO in just about every state or a VARO to cover every state, so it is to just inconvenient veterans.

If it works, it works.