Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

The Double Whammy-2 A&As = R1

Rate this question

FormerMember

Question

It's not often I can snag a double SMC L for  2 A&As. Here, the Veteran was going down the tubes with just the Parkinson's. The A&A was a no brainer. With his inability to perambulate without falling down, he should have gotten LOU of the BLEs. I couldn't convince Judge Peters on that one because the VA C&P troglodytes made sure they put in that "He drove himself to the Emergency room." I might point out his wife had been in a traumatic automobile accident and hasn't driven in over a decade. Maybe I should have filed a NOD on just the 20%ers for the BLEs but he would have been dead before that even made it to the docket.  

When he got the b cell, hairy leukemia, that's all she wrote. I'm glad I drew Judge Peters. I have another R1 appeal before him right now. It feels like they've assigned him solely to SMC cases or me personally. Nah. Just kidding. Anyway, this decision illustrates that you can obtain two SMC Ls just for Aid and attendance in order to get to R1. That's the point of this.

Onward through the fog. Win or Die.

2 A&As = R1 BVA redact.pdf

4 hours ago, Mr cue said:

This was good  info on how to fight for the two smc l a&a for two separate disability.

This give the veteran smc o.

Than smc r.

I received aid and attendance smc l for copd and then received another smc l for major neuro cognitive disorder. I was then advanced to 0 and then r1 on account of 2 smc l. 

Man my  fight to get the other smc l has been crazy.

The last denied was your mental health doesn't effect your adl. So you don't have two condition that effect your adl.

That was it.

Cavc just remand it back to bva to address my favorable evidence.

Let see what they come with it

Here the crazy part I had a dro hearing and was send to the mental health adl como exam. They have been refusing to address this.

I already have the smc l for my upper extremity.

The smc l for my mental health will give the smc o.

I receive in home care based on both.

But I am have the hardest time In the world getting a proper decision that address it.

Ok I woke up today with new energy to fight the VA for my smc benefits.

I was at the point of it is what it is.

After reading all the bva decisions posted in this thread for smc o and r1.

Based on the two smc l aid and attendance.

It got me to feeling maybe the next bva decision on my 2nd cavc remand will address it.

The smc l for my mental health and the smc o and r are with one bva judge right now. Waiting for decision 

Last time I had the smc l for mental health with one judge.

I had the smc o and r with a different bva judge 

The effective dates for smc s and l for my upper extremity was with another bva judge process ama appeal.

when I never opt in or requested to be removed from legacy 

3 Different bva judges rule on a smc benefits. 3 different bva decision appeal to Cavc.

this time they are trying to make it two different bva judges decision.

by trying to remove the smc effective dates from legacy appeal to ama again.

which has different rules for effective dates. Less retro under ama. smh.

well the smc o and r and smc l for mental health and my loss of use is with one bva judge.

let see how they handle this.

I am still waiting on the cavc judge to rule on my petition for relief.

I never requested or opt in to ama.

THe VA can't just remove your appeal from legacy appeal to ama appeal system.

the VA has been try to remove my effective dates from legacy for a year.

I have a cavc order to merge my legacy appeal back together. 5/27/2022.

And when the cavc remand it again August 31.

The bva removed it again from legacy.

Just told the court I am wrong they can't merge the two appeals.

Because one is legacy appeal and one is ama. Smh. Never address how it got removed or the court order.

So now I sit here waiting on the cavc judge to address this again. After she order all my appeal my appeal merge back together 5/27/2022.

The same cavc judge has the petition.

I beat that the cavc will not even address anything an tell me the petition is moot. Again happen last time.

How end up with 3 bva decisions last time.

I will have 2 this time getting closer to one. Guess next year.smh

When you ever seen a smc benefits claim treated like this.

T

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• kidva earned a badge
      Collaborator
    • dennis simpson earned a badge
      Collaborator
    • Dave119 earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • ShrekTheTank went up a rank
      Contributor
    • kidva went up a rank
      Rookie
  • Our picks

• These decisions have made a big impact on how VA disability claims are handled, giving veterans more chances to get benefits and clearing up important issues.

Service Connection

Frost v. Shulkin (2017)
      This case established that for secondary service connection claims, the primary service-connected disability does not need to be service-connected or diagnosed at the time the secondary condition is incurred 1. This allows veterans to potentially receive secondary service connection for conditions that developed before their primary condition was officially service-connected. 

Saunders v. Wilkie (2018)
      The Federal Circuit ruled that pain alone, without an accompanying diagnosed condition, can constitute a disability for VA compensation purposes if it results in functional impairment 1. This overturned previous precedent that required an underlying pathology for pain to be considered a disability.

Effective Dates

Martinez v. McDonough (2023)
      This case dealt with the denial of an earlier effective date for a total disability rating based on individual unemployability (TDIU) 2. It addressed issues around the validity of appeal withdrawals and the consideration of cognitive impairment in such decisions.

Rating Issues

Continue Reading on HadIt.com
      • 0 replies
    • I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 4 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use