Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

creek chub

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Deedub75 If you're at 100% P&T, then you probably know about special monthly comp, or SMC's. You need to have 100% plus an additional 60%. NOT easy to do, but if you need A&A or housebound, that is more$. The way I tell veterans is first, make a list of all the things wrong with you. Example tinnitus and it is s-c. Then you google and find out what are secondary symptoms to that s-c disability. Well, MH problems can result because of the constant noise and your limitations in talking to people, especially in groups. So you become depressed, or anxious that you have to meet some people and don't want to make an idiot of yourself because you can't hear. That could be a 10 or 30% new rating. If you have loss of use, that is extra. Say your diabetes causes you to have to use a wheelchair because your legs are shot. That is smc (k) on top of the diabetes comp. You do that for EVERY s-c disability you have and see if you honestly have those symptoms that you can connect for additional claims. If you are vested for 20 years, you should be good to go. Less than that and you need to weigh the risk/rewards. For those who need to know more, here's the VA site https://benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/factsheets/serviceconnected/smc.pdf

15 hours ago, creek chub said:

Did you get your claim approved outright without an appeal?

Yes, first try.  And hearing loss at 0%.  The exam lady asked me when or how I thought it happened.  My first experience was when some asshat NCO threw a flashbang in my fire hole in bootcamp.  Being a 50 cal machine gunner didn't hurt my case either.  Don't get cold feet.  I think tinnitus is a given.  Just let them know how it affects you.  In my case I need a fan on in my room when I go to bed to ease the annoyance when it gets quiet, etc.

2 hours ago, El Train said:

Yes, first try.  And hearing loss at 0%.  The exam lady asked me when or how I thought it happened.  My first experience was when some asshat NCO threw a flashbang in my fire hole in bootcamp.  Being a 50 cal machine gunner didn't hurt my case either.  Don't get cold feet.  I think tinnitus is a given.  Just let them know how it affects you.  In my case I need a fan on in my room when I go to bed to ease the annoyance when it gets quiet, etc.

I guess claiming hearing loss at this point will be tough. I feel better about the tinnitus claim but may try for hearing loss too

23 hours ago, creek chub said:

I guess claiming hearing loss at this point will be tough. I feel better about the tinnitus claim but may try for hearing loss too

I didn't even claim hearing loss.  Because tinnitus cancels out certain frequency pitches, I think they just gave it to me.  My hearing is not bad, but it could get worse.  If so, I can get hearing aids at no cost.  So 0% is worth something.

On 9/30/2021 at 3:00 PM, El Train said:

I didn't even claim hearing loss.  Because tinnitus cancels out certain frequency pitches, I think they just gave it to me.  My hearing is not bad, but it could get worse.  If so, I can get hearing aids at no cost.  So 0% is worth something.

I submitted my claim for tinnitus last Thursday and am scheduled for an exam 10/11. My mom remembered me talking about my ears ringing when I got out and wrote a statement to that effect. Guess I’ll see how it goes

Great answers.

I too filed for tinnitus after more than 20 years out. Also my series changed, is now 25 and listed as moderate.

My 2 cents.

As GBArmy mentioned, make sure you file a statement in support of claim. List any in service incident you think caused the tinnitus. When you first noticed the tinnitus, in service.  This is important part...most tinnitus denials come when the VA says not caused by an in service event.  You have to write the statement up to head off that! 

" ... during an exercise, I had to man the 3kw generator for a 12 hour shift. Hearing pro was not used and when I got back to my room I noticed the ringing in my ears. I had never hear or or noticed anything like this prior. Over the years its only gotten worse blah blah"

Any buddy letters to detail on the working conditions and or noise exposure. The statement from your mom is good too.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Cheers