• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

C&p Ptsd- Last Of The Exams But This Doctor Didn't

Rate this question

Guest jangrin

Question

Guest jangrin

My husband Went to the VA today for the C&P exam for PTSD. This is how it went:

Wife was not allowed in the room during the exam

The doctor did not have the c-file “file folder” only the computer screen and a clip

board with a couple sheets of paper he printed off the computer.

Doctor did not have any records of my husband ever being treated by VA for

Mental health PTSD /Depression

No records from the examination of the Psychiatrist for Social Security

The only record he had was from The VARO in California where the Psychiatrist

diagnosed Chuckles with Depression and put him on medication.

The C&P doctor told my husband that he was going to increase his mediation but

was not treating him-

Then he told my husband that his diagnosis is Anxiety with PTSD as stressors. He

said he could not diagnosed him with PTSD as primary because he said it did not

effect my husband’s working? As you know my husband is on SSDI for physical

and mental disability.

Then he showed my husband the bottom of one of the papers that said “Stressors

Confirmed”

By the way my husband said the doctor was pleasant ( if that means anything)

NOW WHAT SHOULD WE DO?

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Guest jangrin

This was the first C&P for PTSD. The doctor said that he was diagnosing the anxiety with PTSD stressors because then he would not have to address in his report work issues. He told my husband that if people had been able to hold down a job and work for extended periods of time that they would not qualify for a PTSD rating. By rating him with the anxiety as primary witrh the PTSD stressors to the anxiety it made it easier for the doctor.After that was when he showed my husband that the stressors were confirmed.

Something is going on about people working. He also seemed to ignor the depression and didn't comment. We will request the report. And my husband liked the doctor. He recommended a group PTSD session near our home. My husband asked him if he is not DX with PTSD would the VA still pay for him to go to the group.(my husband really needs to get back to therapy), the doctor said he didn't know because no one ever asked him that before.

We'll pass along the results of the C&P for this when we get it.

Thanks everyone, appreciate the possitive encouragement. Hey, will not get down about this we are so glad to have that C&P over with. That is the hardest thing for my husband to talk about this stuff. I am thankful he likes the doctor it made it easier. So far we have not had any bad expeiences with the VA doc's as far as getting along with them.

Jangrin

Correction ArmyVV,

Axis I, IV, and V are the most important. Axis IV pertains to the IU, industrial and social meaning employable or not too!

Guest jangrin

OH yea, I almost forgot, the doc didn't ask him if he had suicidal thoughts, he asked him, "have you ever tried to commit suicide? My husband re[lied and that was the end of the topic.

I thought that was interesting. One other thing my husband said he didn't seem to understand or know the meaning of some very general military terms. We think he may have been a newby even though his name was at the desk at check-in with all the doctors. We just think he may be new with the VA. Anyway to find out?

Jangrin

• HadIt.com Elder

Jan:

I would not jump to a conclusion. If the VARO is not to far you can go to release of records and they can print it out for you. Its usually done in a week or so depends if someone else looks at it.

Once you get the C&P you might decide if it is a good one or bad if it is not good write VARO and state why the exam is inadequate and request another.

PTSD is a weird deal sometimes people can work till they are overcome by it and depression. That Doc was full of beans.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

There is a huge wave of PTSD claims coming at the VA and they probably want to fend them off by finding some way to delay, deny or low ball them. It is all about money with these guys. That is my opinion.

I think the biggest reason the PTSD claims have gone up and up is not because more people are exposed to combat but the internet ,,,,, in 1999 i was a rookie and knew something was wrong but it was the internet that helped me thru all the bull to get the right form to the right people... INTERNET INTERNET YA INTERNET

Guest jangrin
Jangrin,

Was this the first or second C&P exam for your husbands PTSD? I do remember you saying you already had a few C&Ps before, but don't recall you mentioning any about the PTSD. At any rate, before you get all worked up over it, I would wait and see whet the examiner wrote when you get a copy of the C&P exam.

One thing to keep in mind is that, if you already submitted a Psychiatrist exam from Social Security and any other mental health records to the RO, then they may have already determined that the nexus between your husbands current PTSD and inservice stressors are established, and the C&P exam he just went was to determine the current level of disability. In this case the C-file would not need to be present because the nexus has already been established. This seems consistent since the VA sent the examiner something to the effect that your husbands stressor had been verified. Granted, that doesn't establish a nexus between the two, but like I said, it may have already been made and the C&P examiner was just tryingto determine the current level of disability.

Vike 17

Vike,

This was the first C&P for the PTSD. Since I wasn't allowed in the room during the PTSD exam I didn't know ALL. So when Chuckles read your post he said that he felt you were correct in how the exam went.

The doctor was really into the disability of the PTSD not so much if my husband suffered from PTSD.Evidendtly as the exam proceded and the doctor found out that my husband is on SSDI and had seen SS mental exam doc and was in group for the PTSD he seemed surprised.

This doctor did not have any history at all other than a VARO record with a DX of Depression. The other doctors DX of PTSD chronic / depression. It will be very interesting to see what the VA does with this because now we have four doctors with different opinions as to how the PTSD fits in this.

1. Depression/ mood VA

2. PTSD chronic/mood (VA contract mental health)

3 Depression/PTSD chronic (SSA doc)

4.anxiety/PTSD (or at least thats what he told my husband he was going to put in the C &P report)VA C&P doc

We have requested a copy of the records and report from the VARO. It should be enlightening to see how this plays out with the rating on the claim. By the way I am not going to go getting all upset as we are glad this one is done. It caused a lot of stress just wainting and thinking about this exam around our house. Now that it is over (one way or the other) Is a really good thing no matter what the outcome.

Jangrin