VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Property Tax Exemption Visible to Public?

Rate this question

glashutte

Question

Hello, sorry I am unsure where to post this.

I have a disabled rating %, and with my property tax exemption with my county the Public record shows exactly what it is. For example it may show DV60 publically. And a simple search of the glossary anyone can see 'Disabled Veteran 60%'. 

I do not want anyone to know about my disabilty rating. 

How can I pull this down or make private??

10 minutes ago, broncovet said:

While this is good, John, "not everyone" wants the world to know how much they earn.  (from VA disability).  

In my area, My VA,  plus social security, plus wife's social security, puts us where we earn more than many of our friends.   (Its a very poor area, where our home cost $72,000).  (3 bedroom, brick, 2 car garage), built in the 1950's.  

Its probably worth about $100,000 now, perhaps 110k.  

Some people I know have homes which cost $700,000 or more, sometimes for a similar home!  

I have a cousin who lives in Huntington Beach, California, and his home (smaller than mine) where he has a view of the beach, cost about $750,000, and is probably worth $1million.  

I second the first comment. I rather have no one know

• HadIt.com Elder

Broncovet is spot on. Depending upon what details are required to be posted by the town or state statute, if it is a requirement you have a choice; decline a tax exemption or live with the public record. Think of it from another prospective. Your taxes are based on what the cost/expenses are going to be to run (the town, for instance.) After any fed or state assistance, what is left is what amount of money is required and it is reflected in the tax rate. Certain  individuals and non-profits may be exempt from some or all of the taxes, or exemptions. As a town taxpayer, wouldn't you want to know who is receiving a tax break and the result is you have to pick up their share in an increase in your taxes? There could be people or companies receiving tax breaks that are not deserving. Say a non-profit is no longer doing what they received their tax status for. Or a fireman no longer volunteers at the fire dept but still is receiving a tax abatement. That is why public record is necessary because this kind of thing happens. All that said, I agree there should not be any disclosure of the veterans specific disability. Seems to me taht would be a HIPPA violation.

23 minutes ago, GBArmy said:

Broncovet is spot on. Depending upon what details are required to be posted by the town or state statute, if it is a requirement you have a choice; decline a tax exemption or live with the public record. Think of it from another prospective. Your taxes are based on what the cost/expenses are going to be to run (the town, for instance.) After any fed or state assistance, what is left is what amount of money is required and it is reflected in the tax rate. Certain  individuals and non-profits may be exempt from some or all of the taxes, or exemptions. As a town taxpayer, wouldn't you want to know who is receiving a tax break and the result is you have to pick up their share in an increase in your taxes? There could be people or companies receiving tax breaks that are not deserving. Say a non-profit is no longer doing what they received their tax status for. Or a fireman no longer volunteers at the fire dept but still is receiving a tax abatement. That is why public record is necessary because this kind of thing happens. All that said, I agree there should not be any disclosure of the veterans specific disability. Seems to me taht would be a HIPPA violation.

Being listed as disabled as a status is not a HIPAA violation. If the contentions themselves were listed, that would be a HIPAA violation. 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Here in Alabama, it is public record. Last week, I looked up the details for my house and neighbors around me. I have a $0 listed and those savings go towards helping to take care of my young children. In Alabama, property taxes are lower than much of the country. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Brokensoldier I am talking about the specific disability disclosure ex. MH, not the general status of "disabled." I believe stating what the specific disability is is a violation of a person's privacy. The fact that a person is classified as disabled in order to receive a tax exemption I don't think would be a violation IMHO.