VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Great News (and one question)

Rate this question

63Charlie

Question

On May 4, 2023, the BVA awarded grants on all of my issues that I've been appealing for 8 years.

The BVA judge's fairness surprised me.

The VA legal battles are now over for me.

All I have to do now is to just keep "breathing"(living).

I have left the field.

Q: For those who are receiving clothing allowances, did you guys hear anything that after this year, you won't have to reapply each year?

I was told this today when I submitted my annual clothing allowance form at the local VA prosthetics department.

Edited by 63Charlie

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Congratulations!  Im not sure how long your wait was, but my guess is it was worth it.  Im sure you probably already know the "additional" VA benefits that 100 percent qualifies you for, especially state benefits.  My state has a drastic property tax reduction, covering I think the first 40,000 (taxable value) of your home.  I think my property taxes for last year were $87 for the full year.    

Of course, you will have to fill out your state's applicable paperwork, it probably wont be automatic.  My state also allows free camping in state parks, and, of course, you can get a federal parks pass which allows you free, or drastically reduced prices in national parks.  

"If" you were charged copays on stuff like drugs at the VA, I got a refund of those for all the years I had been waiting, back to my effective date.  Again, you have to ask for it, and I went to my VAMC's "means" department to get those refunded.  

While the 10,000 "free" life insurance is gone now, its unclear if you could get it anyway, backdated to your effective date.    I doubt that it was your idea for VA to take years of appeals to get your benefits, so, it may be worth it to you to appeal, if your 10,000 free life insurance is denied, because it was too late.  Again, I doubt you did anything wrong to delay your benefits (including the 10,000 life insurance) beyond the first of this year, when the free 10,000 was discontinued.  VA should be held to this, Veterans should not have to pay all the costs for VA's long backlog.  

And, dont forget about Champva for your spouse, and chapter 35 for your kids.  Significantly for many:  My VA has dental work at no cost for 100 percent Vets.  

My eyeglasses are free, too, at my VA.  I dont remember getting eyeglasses for free from VA prior to getting 100 percent p and t.  

And, my state has free license plates for disabled Vets.  You should check your state benefits, as they are vastly different.  

This link may help you find your state benefits quickly:

https://www.military.com/benefits/veteran-state-benefits/state-veterans-benefits-directory.html

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

While my TDIU was on appeal I had to get dental work.  I was able to get compensated for my dental expense because I should have been eligible for free dental work except for VA's initial denial of TDIU.  If your 100%/TDIU was on appeal for 8 years you might be able to get paid for all the visual and dental expense you had during your appeals.  Just because you get 100% don't give up.  SMC such as "S" may be available in the future.