Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Ptsd Vet Fired By Virginia Dept. Of Transportation

Rate this question

out_here04

Question

Started listening to Stardust Radio, Firebase veterans show. i thought it was the one with Kurt and Rick Townsend later on the SVR show, but it wasn't. it turned out to be a call-in show with a ptsd veteran, gulf war+20 years era. i'm sharing here because there are some contact numbers if you would like to call to support the veteran and protest, basically, his firing from the Virginia Department of Transportation after a co-worker snapped his fingers behind the veteran, which set him off.

from Firebase Broadcast Veteran's Hour (first guest Robert Hartsield, calling from Virginia) says he is a PTSD veteran and mentions he saw the highway to hell (air striked retreating iraqis, other accounts, mass graves Bosnia, "seen a lot."also, mid-90s, SAW in germany soldier-to-soldier violence he witnessed. i (out) met a guy very familiar with the subsequent court case, he was affected and only HEARD the details.

according to the veteran, he just verbalized his irritation of the event. veteran raised his voice or said quit snapping your fingers behind my head, probably pretty aggressively. spoke to stigma of ptsd, "some renegades, i know that, some bad things, i'm one of those guys who would be the successful person, what angers me is never given second recourse, put out on the streets very quick, friday afternoon 4 p.m."

the Virginia caller, Hartsfield, is trying to get past his firing through the Workplace Violence Act for a PTSD "meltdown" event, family issues, "literally no hope left...getting story in the limelight". mentioned calling Oprah Winfrey. ACLU is unresponsive. but response from veterans supporters is requested to get to the bottom of this and possibly reinstate the veteran or get him his proper VA compensation for PTSD, for which he may have a claim in "that takes nine months".

who knows, with veterans and veteran organizations help, this could possibly be a "landmark" case (or one of many needed) in regards to how returning ptsd veterans are mistreated in the workplace. the veteran seemed motivated to help bring about change.

gave number of Professor Herman, ACLU president,718-780-7945, pres of aclu, unresponsive, "probably busy trying to take cross off mountain, land deeded to vfw", Townsend commented.

VA Dept of Transportation, fired him, gave no "leeway" as a ptsd vet.

CONTACT THEM, Townsend said at:

Virginia Department of Transportation: phone: 804-371-6862 ... fax machine "burn it up", townsend said, is at: 804-786-4525, "ask what are they doing to our veterans and why Robert Hartsfield was fired for practically no reason." alternate number is: Virginia Department of Transportation's public affairs office. 804-786-2715

Rick Townsend: 52,500 PTSD veterans from this last conflict "this is what happens to them when they get upset with people snapping their fingers behind their ears," townsend said.

(Stardust Radio says they can get this vet and Virginia Department of Transportation on the air at the same time, try to set up next week), Townsend said during the broadcast. "nothing like shame" to get them to do the right thing, Townsend said.

said he has been in touch with Jack Cunningham, a Marine PTSD fighter."i'm stirring the pot, too, though," Hartsfield said.

mentioned Virginia Governor Tim Kaine:

http://www.governor.virginia.gov/

Hartsfield said he is going to talk to his senator tomorrow. Townsend recommended (d.c. or state of va.) Department of Justice, Human Rights Council for Commonwealth of Virginia, EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission), "I've got to find a way to make some income or i'm going to be living out of my jeep."

State Attorney General, Townsend recommended. long as in same building "might as well knock on all them doors, sooner or later someone should show up maybe to try and help you."

"i've never reached out for help before," hartsfield said. "and i just feel like they hurt me bad. this last chrismas, i ain't never felt like this, i feel like i've been wronged."

"served 20 years 'and come home to this, just really bothers me"

"i feel abandoned. i don't know what to say. i really don't know what to say.

"you served this country, you've earned it's (respect)," townsend said.

"people sleep safe in this country..."

"i'd be willing to go again. just the way i am," hartsfield said.

"veterans only make up less than 10 percent of the population in the country, 10 percent that keep this country free... one's you don't see over there wearing uniforms in the trenches doing what needs to be done." townsend said.

Hartsfield: "that's my story, i got fired for ptsd, stigmatized as rambo, they were trigger happy. not offered chance to get any assistance, accommodations, wasn't given a chance."

"I'm just weak physically."

"not only you, but all across this country they're looking at it, at the firebase, we're international....see what we can cause to happen," Townsend said.

anyone wanting to contact the ptsd veteran Robert Hartsfield, can call him on his cell phone at: 804-519-0828 or email: rphartsfield@yahoo.com

out_here04

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

I am as pro-veteran as they come, but remember that all we have is one side of the story. This veteran isn't going to get his job back just because people tie up the Virginia Department of Transportation's phone and fax lines. I respectfully suggest that it might be more constructive to reach out to Mr. Hartsfield and let him know about hadit and the assistance VA might be able to provide.

He might also benefit from a chat with an attorney. If it was general workplace knowledge that he has PTSD and doesn't react well to the kind of provocation/stimuli his coworker presented, perhaps his employer bears some blame for not stepping in. If the coworker knew he was likely to get that sort of response and did it anyway, there could be a possible (though likely unprofitable) action against the coworker.

• HadIt.com Elder

He needs to talk to a lawyer. Even state civil service usually has rules and appeals if you get fired. However, this guy probably needs a lawyer in his corner. I don't know if MSPB gets involved in state civil service. When I got fired from the post office I hired a lawyer. It helped me at least get a disability retirement.

i surely thought about the "two sides to every story" philosophy. just being the messenger in case there is any warranted need to help this vet. he did respond to an email from me with this:

What I want to know, is what is the status of EEOC Charge of Discrimination Case Number 438-2009-00642? THIS WILL NOT END BECAUSE I WILL NEVER STOP UNTIL JUSTICE IS SERVED such as my mentor’s quest, http://www.capveterans.com/americans_who_s...erans/id52.html. The actions taken due to my former employer have caused this year to be a living hell. Can you help me find out what the status of my case is so I start to FIGHT for EVERYONE that might have a mental disability caused by Trauma and better protections from the American With Disabilities for all that suffer?

http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/featu...dispatcher.html

http://www.texasemt.com/web/modules.php?na...cle&sid=158

http://www.lawguru.com/legal-questions/tex...onic-388189032/

http://ptsdemploymenttherealstory.blogspot.com/

out_here04

here is my response to his plea:

Robert,

Here is a link to a thread I started today, after listening to your interview with Firebase on Stardust Radio:

http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31521

hadit.com is a veteran to veteran site where advice is given primarily about how to succeed with va compensation and pension claims. you might consider becoming a member to help you prepare for compensation and pension examinations regarding your ptsd claim.

i don't have any access to eeoc records or know how to get to them any better than you do. good luck.

out_here04

• HadIt.com Elder

He might even consider filing a workers compensation claim. When the USPS fired me I filed a workers compensation claim. They fired me because of my disability, so I filed a claim saying that the events leading up to my firing aggravated my disability. I won the workers compensation claim. I lived off that until my VA TDIU claim was approved. Then I had to drop out of workers compensation and take the VA benefit.