Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Acquired Psychiatric Disorder

Rate this question

les

Question

I was denide ptsd over a year ago which I have apealed. The c&p Psych said I do not qualify for ptsd but do qualify for major depression. I was at a plane crash were 67 people were killed, it was a allfull sight to see. I called the 1-800# today and they told me the page said service connection for aquired psychiactric disorder. Now I am confused as to what this means. I have been on ssd for 4 years now And the dro has been waiting for my ssd med records. Does anyone know the difference between depression and Acquired Psychiatric disorder? Also what rating does this carry?

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

And some people think getting a PTSD diagnosis is easy!!!! I am surprised they did not state you had a personality disorder and were a raving drug fiend.

• HadIt.com Elder

Les:

Sorry that you were denied. Many here were also you have to keep plugging.I think that besides the plane crash you have to prove that you were there. Perhaps the details and a some form of information that would show that you were there.

Now let me get on my soap box. Like John mentioned it is very difficult to make the VA accept a stress or unless there is some form of offical Military Report that confirms your involvement.Many with PTSD also suffer from Depression or something that is much easier to be rated. I believe that you are at the point as to what means you want to pursue your claim.

A good IMO can show depression it is one of the symptons and even link it to the air plane crash and just the specifics could get you service connected. Think about it.

Good Luck

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Les:

Sorry that you were denied. Many here were also you have to keep plugging.I think that besides the plane crash you have to prove that you were there. Perhaps the details and a some form of information that would show that you were there.

Now let me get on my soap box. Like John mentioned it is very difficult to make the VA accept a stress or unless there is some form of offical Military Report that confirms your involvement.Many with PTSD also suffer from Depression or something that is much easier to be rated. I believe that you are at the point as to what means you want to pursue your claim.

A good IMO can show depression it is one of the symptons and even link it to the air plane crash and just the specifics could get you service connected. Think about it.

Good Luck

Les I agree with Pete. I would due the form 9 now but also ask for a DRO hearing. After I was turned down with my NOD. I asked for a DRO hearing. At my hearing I won three of my 4 claims and now go to a BVA hearing this month for the 4th. Try to stay at the RO if you can. Thats just my 2 cents. Go luck One more thing was there anything is your yearly performance report that stated you assisted with the crash?

Jim

Edited by Jim MAC

Delay, Delay, Delay another thousand Vets will die today. This has been almost a 9 year trip thru the VA maze.

Jim

My ex wife and our 5 year old child was at the crash site. She took me to the crash site to drop me off because she needed the car. This crash happened whithin 1 mile of our house. Now I know I should have had her write a statement. Before I appeal I will ask her to write a (buddy statement) LOL. Thanks everyone for your input. In my c&p it is noted by the psych that she was at the plane crash. I now know I should have had her sign a statment.

"The VA examiner opined that you do not meet the criteria for PTSD, but you do qualify for a diagnosis of major depessive disorder, mild to moderate with a history of polysubstance abuse. A diagnosis of post-tramatic stress disorder must meet all diagnostic criteria " etc---

WHat I see here is that you must have claimed PTSD but the clinical diagnosis is depression- 2 different things-

sometimes a vet can get locked into what they claim-they should claim exactly what their diagnosis is-

did the VA or any private doctor diagnose you with PTSD before this C & P doc came up with depression?

One other thing- I dont see in the C & P report whether the doc said the depression is in any way at all associated to this crash.

If there is no nexus statement or if the nexus statement is there- but in question by the VA-they will deny the claim-

the doc should have made a nexus statement on the exam worksheet-

did they? Do you have a copy of the actual C & P?

Last night (I am going over every single document I have as my 4th IMO doc wanted to see if there was a specific medical reference to something and it is taking me a lot of time- as the med recs were put into tabbed manila folders with the specific claims I filed-last year-

and I am going through stacks and stacks-20 years of VA crapola to make sure the IMO doctor has everything-

what he is looking for is not there-

but I want to make sure---)

Last night in doing all this all week long- I actually found even more evidence of malpractice -moot issues now- but then I found that the VA had quoted a VA doctor's opinion-in 1996 ---- and yet had left off the entire end part of the doctor's statement-

Men and women I raised big time Hell like you wouldnt imagine with the doctor and with the VA when I got that SOC-it hurt me and my daughter beyond emotional pain-

I was trying to prove the VA caused Rods a death and the doctor said he could have died due to a "fatal encounter with cocaine".

How low could they go!!!!!!!!

My husband insisted if he died to get a toxicology done on his remains to see if he had dioxin in his system from AO.

Days before he died he received some other vets meds in the mail and with his visual problems he didnt know it and neither did I until the coroner asked me for the meds.

I specifically had ordered a full toxicology from the Medical EXaminer -for the dioxin and the VA pharmacy error-but the Organ Donor place already had as this is required anyhow for organ donors.

What the VA had omitted from this VA docs statement is "that a fatal encounter with cocaine could have been ruled out with toxicology report."

I had already sent the VA the autopsy and toxicology report yet they chose to manipulate this VA doctor's statement- and the MF (mysterious force) swiped these important autopsy findings from the c file numerous times-

even when the claim went to VA Central in DC and the OGC---

Oddly enough this very same VA doctor-in private conversation-agreed with my present claim and read to me part of his actual C & P some years ago by phone- we had a long talk-but I was so upset when I found the actual wording last night-

because in 1996 I sure gave this doctor Hell (we made up) and here the VA had deliberately 'forgot' to state what his actual report had said.

I mention all of this today here- because it just angers me that not only cant we depend on ROs to be able to actual read our evidence-

they will deliberately manipulate what a C & P doctor says-

by forgetting to state the complete wording of these opinions in a SOC.

I had no idea in 1996 that we could get copy of the actual C & P and I guess I trusted the VA enough to say in a SOC exactly what the VA doctor said-I was wrong and have no trust at all in SOC narratives unless they fully back them up-

maybe in your case the VA doc actually made a full nexus statement that helped you but- like me- the VA somehow "forgot" to put that into the SOC and thus denied your claim.

If I were you I would get copy of the actual C & P.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

At my last C&P exam the doctor assumed I was making a PTSD claim. I was claiming an increase for an accepted condition that was already SC'ed. These VA C&P shrinks have a mindset that can really mess up your claim. If you have any accepted mental/emotional condition you don't have to reinvent the wheel with a PTSD claim.

Regarding the VA's attempt to blame Berta's Husband's death on "a possible encounter with cocaine" that is as low as it goes. To speculate on something like this is the same as saying the vet might have been hit by a beer truck. Anything is possible but the VA needs to stick to the facts. No doubt in my mind that the RO's will go way out on a limb to find an alternative reason for a death or disability. I know that if you admit to using illegal drugs the VA will run with that and try to blame every symptom you have on that admission.