VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Purple Heart From 1969

Rate this topic

bozoc

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bozoc,

congratulations on your well deserved award and selfless service and sacrifice.

regards,

mrrrr5

Thank You very much. I am proud of my service but I never forget "Some Gave All".

Great news about the long-ago awards finally catching up!

Just a comment about DD Form 214s. Yes, one should file the appropriate paperwork for correction if the DD Form 214 is inacurrate. On the other hand, I would be willing to bet most of them are correct.

I have four DD Form 214s, including one from my time as a draftee. There is not one error on any of the forms. Two of the DD Forms were issued during high-volume discharges--Vietnam and the first Gulf War.

The purpose of this post is to not discourage a vet from seeking needed corrections; I just remain convinced that the majority of discharge papers are correct. Full disclosure--my secondary MOS in the Army was Senior Personnel Sergeant.

Ron

• HadIt.com Elder
Great news about the long-ago awards finally catching up!

Just a comment about DD Form 214s. Yes, one should file the appropriate paperwork for correction if the DD Form 214 is inacurrate. On the other hand, I would be willing to bet most of them are correct.

I have four DD Form 214s, including one from my time as a draftee. There is not one error on any of the forms. Two of the DD Forms were issued during high-volume discharges--Vietnam and the first Gulf War.

The purpose of this post is to not discourage a vet from seeking needed corrections; I just remain convinced that the majority of discharge papers are correct. Full disclosure--my secondary MOS in the Army was Senior Personnel Sergeant.

Ron

Ron, I'm glad to hear you've never had a "bad" DD-214, but I have and it was costly!! My last one doesn't show my service dates and there is at least two mis-spellings. ~Wings

Ron, I'm glad to hear you've never had a "bad" DD-214, but I have and it was costly!! My last one doesn't show my service dates and there is at least two mis-spellings. ~Wings

It took the USAF seven months to ISSUE my DD-214, during which time I hassled them to no avail. Finally I returned to the area, went in to the personnel office and said I wasn't leaving without it in hand, and got it.

When I got it, I filed a claim with the Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records stating that their error had wrongfully withheld veterans' benefits from me (try getting your postseparation dental treatment without a DD-214). I requested that my retirement date be changed to the 1st day of the month after the Board's decision, on the theory that if the USAF wasn't going to give me a document required by law and regulation -- the lack of which denied me benefits under the law -- equitably, my record should show active duty for that time.

AFBCMR issued a 3-0 decision recommending that my records be changed to show 13 months more active duty. Imagine the back pay.

Imagining is all I got to do, though, because the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Manpower and Reserve Affairs said I had no legal right to the correction -- and the recommended correction was disproportionate to the harm suffered. No soup for me, and if I look at it without bias and strictly as a matter of law and regulation -- I have to agree with him. Sigh.

My wife (also a career NCO) was awed that I got a 3-0 out of AFBCMR on such a "reach" case, and is now a serious non-fan of the Assistant Secretary. We've been married 20 years (as of today), but I was shocked at the profanity she let fly with when she read the letter....wow. Even I never made her that cranky.

That aside -- congrats to the initial poster for finally receiving what is rightfully his, and thanks for the service which led to it.

I can see where that would be a major problem. I am aware that there must be some errors; I just don't think there is gross negligence or ineptitude.

Ron

Edited by Ron II

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use