VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

T O Berta : Meniere's Disease Secondary To Tinnitus

Rate this question

68mustang

Question

Berta I hope that you may provide an answer. I am presently rated 10% for tinnitus. I have some dizziness, which causes me to lose my balance. I also have feelings of fullness in my ears. I am now thinking of filing a claim for Meniere's secondary to tinnitus. I noticed that another vet's claim for Meniere's secondary to tinnitus was approved and rated at 30%. The reason for the approval was that the Meniere's was likely as not caused by the veteran's military service or SC tinnitus. I am glad that the vet got his claimed approved. I was under the impression that Meniere's was not secondary to tinnitus, however with this new information I hope to file a new claim for Meniere's. Can you provide input on what to state in my new claim? Thanks in advance for your help. 68mustang

Edited by 68mustang

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

On 3/31/2008 at 4:21 AM, sixthscents said:

I have fought for this before in several claims, and have yet to be successful in getting a rating. The diagnosis is called into question.. the lack of consistent evidence... you name it but it seems to me that they really hate paying out for this one,

Any update with this? I was just SC for meniers but at 30% since they listed there was no gait. 

• HadIt.com Elder

FlyBoyLeRoy

As you know, Meniere's is rated under dc 6205. 30% is a pretty good rating for this disability. To get to the next step, 60%, you have to have hearing impairment along with episodes of dizziness and staggering at least 1 to 4 times a month.  That is difficult to prove. I think you have to have a "log" that documents these events and probably a doc opinion of the severity/symptoms. Going from 30-60 is not going to be an easy thing with the VA to approve because it is so subjective. IMO

I just happened upon this thread and find it quite interesting.  I am SC 10% for Tinnitus, and I've had issues with situational vertigo for the last few years.  My Primary Doc (private) told me she thought it may be allergy related.  I started taking Sudafed 12 hour once a day; and it seems to keep the vertigo at bay.  I recently (yes at 46) had my tonsils out...loooooooooooong time coming after years of repeat tonsilitis/strep, I developed a lesion on one side...(long story).  At any rate, I mentioned my vertigo to my ENT and the fact that the Sudafed helped...he was dumbfounded.  Said there isn't any benefit from the Sudafed that "should" affect the vertigo.  Makes me wonder if it's not really "allergy-related" and could possibly be MN.  Literally happens only when I'm driving on the highway at more than 55 mph in curves...makes me feel like I'm going to fall over...

On 3/31/2008 at 9:58 AM, donews said:

I am about to file a claim for this.

What should I claim?

Meniers secondary to tinnitis or shoud I just claim each individual item ie. tinittis, vertigo, hearing loss ect.?

Any ideals or suggestions?

A SYMPTOM of Meniere's Disease is TINNITUS.

Here's a link:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27170253

On 4/1/2008 at 10:28 PM, donews said:
donews said:
I am about to file a claim for this.

What should I claim?

Meniers secondary to tinnitis or shoud I just claim each individual item ie. tinittis, vertigo, hearing loss ect.?

Any ideals or suggestions?

Tinnitus can also be caused by exposure to loud noise and this type of tinnitus most likely presents as HIGH frequency(s) hearing loss on an audiogram.

Meniere's Disease, at initial onset, will show significant threshold shifts/hearing loss in the LOW frequency(s) range.

Low frequency hearing loss, and/or low frequency significant threshold shifts(15dB drop in hearing acuity) accompanied by dizziness, is a huge hurdle for a crooked C&P examiner to try to explain away.

My examiner lied on the DBQ and said I had neither one in service when my service treatment records prove otherwise.

Waiting on the BVA to give it to me.

Edited by 63Charlie

• HadIt.com Elder

Can you post a link or further information about this vet that had mn sc'd as secondary to tinnitus, please. I'm not sure how that is possible, because tinnitus is a symptom of mn, therefore, medically, mn could not be secondary to tinnitus. But the VA has definately done stranger things. I would really like to see the VA's logic on this, though, because I have it also.

Disregard...I found the thread and posed the question to the vet.

Edited by rentalguy1