Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Why Do We Take It?

Rate this question

SouthernBelle

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I know this has been said before, but we don't have to take this. Why can't we do the same things the Presidential candidates are doing and start raising money to get every Veteran who is able to travel to descend upon Washington D.C. and demand something. What is stopping us? Is it because the Bonus Army didn't get what they wanted when they wanted it? I don't think so. GDSnide said it right. FEAR. People are afraid now. But what are we afraid of? We don't have to take it. Hundreds of people doing small things are great, and can't be downplayed, but at the same time, if we had a massive group of Veterans marching in DC that would get attention. We could run adverts on TV, radio, and get the local news involved. Start raising money. It may take a few years to get enough money for every Veteran ABLE to travel to come, but we've got time. We're sitting here waiting on the VA to give what EVERY AMERICAN VETERAN DESERVES. Lets stop talking about how bad it is, and lets actually do something BIG. There are people on here with VERY good contacts in Congress. Give them the CHANCE to fix the system, and if they don't, then we go, if they do fix it, we donate the or put into a trust the money raised. The trust can be used for Veterans and their families who are still waiting, or if there is an emergency. What is stopping us? If those of us on THIS forum can't get together, then NOBODY can, so lets do it! We ought to prove that a nonviolent "PROTEST" still works wonders.

We should be angry, but kind; demanding, but polite; and firm but soft-spoken.

Edited by SouthernBelle

SouthernBelle

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The way the NRA influences congress is with money. They reward their friends and help vote out their opponents. Vet service organizations don't give to their friends and punish their enemies. Groups like the Al and VFW support candidates who are anti-veteran. They wave the flag and grovel at the feet of politicans who don't give a damn about disabled vets. I do think that locally coordinated demonstrations by disabled vets at their VARO's would call attention to our issues. Half the vets want to vote for a guy who votes against their issues in congress. How dumb can you get? If the public could see an army of guys in wheelchairs and on canes that they could appreciate. We have to be visible to get help. Our VSO's will never get it. If you look at organizations or interest groups that succeed in influencing congress it is because they deliver votes and/or money. Poor people get the shaft because they don't have the money to donate to those who have power over their lives. Independent veteran groups would be attacked by the major VSO's and the VA. They would single out individual vets who are 100% and point out that if these vets can participate in political action then they are not disabled. It would take courage to really fight against this injustice to us. I believe they would go after individuals and you can bet the DAV and others would do nothing. 800,000 claim backlog??? They don't give a damn about us. If we don't help ourselves nobody will. I don't have a master plan, but 40 years of neglect by both parties shows what happens when vets don't fight for their own rights.

• HadIt.com Elder

I'll start looking into startup costs and regulations for a Non Profit. That's one place to start. I'm serious about this.

Hi Southern,

Everyone has brought up valid points here. I don't think the protesting thing would work. Don't get me wrong I have protested a lot in my life but the bottom line is we would need the politicians and the American people behind us. The problem with getting the politicians is we don't have money to donate to them. Most act concerned but only to a certain point. Humans are greedy by nature and they look out for 1#.

On to the American public. I don't see a vast majority of Americans supporting us. Why? Many Americans think we are getting welfare when we get disability. I have had many people tell me because I medicate myself to work I shouldn't get VA disability. Sure like the politicians they will give us lip service and say we are patriotic and heroes but that is it. Again they are out for themselves not us.

There is only one possible solution and that would take someone full time with business experience to run it this organization. There would need to be many others players including a board, volunteers, etc. This organization would be a veterans lobbyist group. Money is what makes the government go round and the lobbyist provide the money, gifts, etc.

Unfortunately I have the experience as a business owner and the education in business needed but not much time. I have three small children and wife and need to bring money in. Then there is my million medical appointments I go to and all the time I spend on my appeals. When all is said and done with my appeals I should be at 90%. I talked with my wife and we decided once she goes back to work I would file for TDIU. If and when that happens I would need something like this idea to keep me going. I love the thought of it and as long as it's a non-profit the VA can't say poop to me. Those are my thoughts. I do like the idea of having the fund to help families in need until they get their claim money. This organization would need to be setup tight and have strict controls along with many checks and balances. As the old saying goes "Power tends to curropt, absolute power curropts absolutely". I would definitely love to be involved in something like this in whatever time I could find.

SouthernBelle

Hi Southern,

Everyone has brought up valid points here. I don't think the protesting thing would work. Don't get me wrong I have protested a lot in my life but the bottom line is we would need the politicians and the American people behind us. The problem with getting the politicians is we don't have money to donate to them. Most act concerned but only to a certain point. Humans are greedy by nature and they look out for 1#.

On to the American public. I don't see a vast majority of Americans supporting us. Why? Many Americans think we are getting welfare when we get disability. I have had many people tell me because I medicate myself to work I shouldn't get VA disability. Sure like the politicians they will give us lip service and say we are patriotic and heroes but that is it. Again they are out for themselves not us.

There is only one possible solution and that would take someone full time with business experience to run it this organization. There would need to be many others players including a board, volunteers, etc. This organization would be a veterans lobbyist group. Money is what makes the government go round and the lobbyist provide the money, gifts, etc.

Unfortunately I have the experience as a business owner and the education in business needed but not much time. I have three small children and wife and need to bring money in. Then there is my million medical appointments I go to and all the time I spend on my appeals. When all is said and done with my appeals I should be at 90%. I talked with my wife and we decided once she goes back to work I would file for TDIU. If and when that happens I would need something like this idea to keep me going. I love the thought of it and as long as it's a non-profit the VA can't say poop to me. Those are my thoughts. I do like the idea of having the fund to help families in need until they get their claim money. This organization would need to be setup tight and have strict controls along with many checks and balances. As the old saying goes "Power tends to curropt, absolute power curropts absolutely". I would definitely love to be involved in something like this in whatever time I could find.

DAV

You can count me in also I get the same sh*T and work about medicateing myself to get to work. I been told I really don't work there I just fill a postion (due to all the time off for SC issues) I love to help out

Jim

Delay, Delay, Delay another thousand Vets will die today. This has been almost a 9 year trip thru the VA maze.

Jim

• HadIt.com Elder

I'll start looking into Grant Proposals for startup costs. Where there's a will there is a WAY. I live in the Savannah area, which means there are tons of "artist" types and MANY have skills in grant writing. I'm going to make something happen if it is the LAST thing I do. I will not die with the VA system the way it is. I will not send my son into a future where if he CHOOSES to join the military and gets hurt or screwed up he has to fight for his benefits. I won't do it.

SouthernBelle