• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans With 100% Disability

Rate this question

Guest johnson123

Question

Guest johnson123

Dear Veteran's, 100 % Permanent Disabled,

You have the right to use ALL facilities on the Bases, including Legal Services. I now have a claim in and I now have a JAG that is my POA. I hope this information may help another Vet.

Johnson

• Answers 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Not trying to prolong or interfere with this discussion, except to offer an example of one of the processes stated herein:

I've a friend of mine........he was going to this private M.D. for some sort of treatment, can't remember specifically what, but that is not important.

Anyway, he is talking with his doctor, right? And somehow the subject of the VAMC comes up, right?

So, the doc says "really, you are eligible for care at the VAMC?" Billy says "yup, have been going there for medication for my service-related disability for the last few years." Doc says "heck Billy, why are your coming to me, here? didn't you know that I am on staff at the VA Medical Center?"

So, now, Billy goes to the VAMC, sees the same private practice doc that he was seeing.....and now the VA is picking up the tab.......as they should be. Billy is, BTW, 100% and entitled to all treatments offered at the VA.

Same thing could be going on with this lawyer....he is in private practice and is also an officer in the reserves (my brother was, as a matter-of-fact, until he was appointed Federal District Judge). Now, as to whether this attorney can "rightfully" represent ol Johnson, here, before the Veteran's Administration, I have no idea. He could, and probably does, have Johnson's POA, Johnson would know that, I'm sure. It would be my question, were I in Johnson's shoes, whether his attorney would have my best interests at heart, in this situation.

VETERAN TRAVEL OPPORTUNITIES: The Pacific Missile Range Facility (PMRF) MWR offers beach cottage accommodations at Barking Sands, Kauai HI to active duty, reservists, and retirees at bargain prices. Also eligible to use the facilities are:

a. Ex-POW; Medal of Honor recipients; Honorably discharged veterans with 100% service connected disability; Involuntarily separated service members under the Transition Assistance Management Program (TAMP); Voluntary Separation under the Voluntary Separation Incentive (VSI); and Special Separation Benefit (SSB) programs for two years after separation.

b. Family members to include spouse and children (21 years or older) of those category (a) eligible patrons who possess a spouse/dependant I.D.

c. Department of Defense (DoD) Civilians and MWR/NEX/AFEES NAF employees.

d. Contractors working on board the installation who have been authorized use of MWR programs by the Commanding Officer

Available are 18 two bedroom cottages and a VIP three bedroom cottage right on the water. They are well maintained and come with all amenities including a washer & dryer. The site also has a well stocked exchange, gym, pool, gas station, an all hands club, a dining hall (open to retirees) and a tour booking & equipment rental office. Rates vary by rank and are subject to change. Presently they are $70 to $90/night for the 2-bedroom and $90 to $95 for the 3-bedroom cottages. The maximum stay is two weeks, but may be extended based on availability upon check-in. Occupancy is limited to a maximum of six (6) people per two-bedroom unit and 8 people per three-bedroom unit. Pets are prohibited inside and outside the beach cottages. You will need to rent a car. The advance reservation categories for eligible patrons are:

Category 1: Includes active duty Navy and their family members residing in Hawaii. Reservations may be made up to six (6) months in advance to the date.

Category 2: Includes active duty Navy (outside of Hawaii), Marine and Coast Guard personnel and their family members. Reservations may be made up to five (5) months in advance to the date.

Category 3: Includes active duty members of other services, reservists, retirees, Ex-POW and Medal of Honor recipients, and their family members; Reservations may be

made up to four (4) months in advance to the date.

Category 4: Includes Navy DoD civilians, MWR/NEX NAF employees; Reservations may be made up to three (3) months in advance to the date.

Category 5: Includes other service DoD civilians, AFEES employees. Reservations may be made up to two (2) months in advance to the date.

Category 6: Includes contract employees working on the installation. Reservations may be made up to one (1)

month in advance to the date.

Reservations are made by contacting Central Cottage Reservation Office at COM (808) 335-4752 or DSN 471-6752. To confirm a reservation, a credit card deposit of 50% is required. If submitting a reservation by check or cash, it must be received at the time the reservation is placed. The 50% deposit will be applied to the total amount due. Cancellation more than 45 days prior to the reservation will result in a full refund. NO REFUND will be issued if cancellation is within 45 days of the reservation date. The MWR Director may review special circumstances for possible exceptions to this policy. For more info, contact the Navy Region Hawaii Quality of Life website at www.greatlifehawaii.com or email to: erika.burton@navy.mil. [source: http://www.greatlifehawaii.com/docs/PMRF_B...licyMay2006.pdf Oct 08 ++]

Have some respect for your fellow Veterans...did we not all serve together for the same purpose?....have a heart!

I really thought my last post would end this subject but you are so persistant......Please be assured I am not enjoying this, and other may be annoyed as well.

It is precisely for the reasons you stated above that I am compelled to state you are wrong. Now, I stated to you and provided references that you are not authorized legal assistance. If I did not post my disagreement with your statements then every veteran would be expecting service from the military jag just because you say it is available. If they don't get it then thay would say they are getting screwed. To advocate that a benefit exist for veterans that does not is wrong.

Now if you had provided some official reference that indicates that I am wrong that would be a different story, but you haven't because you can't. You should be able to defend your position without shooting the messenger. On a board like this you should even be expecting someone to question your information if it doesn't sound correct.

As I stated before, It really doesn't matter who is right or wrong what matters is that the correct information is presented.

Bottom line, you may be receiving legal services from a JAG office, and I will even except your word that you are, I cannot disprove this. I can only prove that because you are not active duty, retiree or a dependant of same, you are not legally entitled to receive services from the Jag office.

Now let us agree to disagree and move on, and as I said let others decide for themselfs.

Oh and by the way the congress just gave lawyers the right to represent veterans so how can a Jag or any other lawyer have been handling your claims as you say for the last five years.

Edited by Teac

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

Legal authority for legal assistance

The authority to establish and operate the Armed Forces' Legal Assistance Program, as a necessary and proper incidence of accomplishing the Armed Forces mission, has been provided continuously since 1943 by various means, including Secretarial Directive, Federal Regulation 32 CFR part 727, and Federal Statute 10 USC 1044. Legal assistance is provided subject to the availability of staff legal resources.

10 USC 1044 Sec. 1044. Legal assistance

(a) Subject to the availability of legal staff resources, the Secretary concerned may provide legal assistance in connection with their personal civil legal affairs to the following persons:

(1) Members of the armed forces who are on active duty.

(2) Members and former members entitled to retired or retainer pay or equivalent pay.

(3) Officers of the commissioned corps of the Public Health Service who are on active duty or entitled to retired or equivalent pay.

(4) Members of reserve components not covered by paragraph (1) or (2) following release from active duty under a call or order to active duty for more than 30 days issued under a mobilization authority (as determined by the Secretary of Defense), for a period of time, prescribed by the Secretary of Defense, that begins on the date of the release and is not less than twice the length of the period served on active duty under that call or order to active duty.

(5) Dependents of members and former members described in paragraphs (1), (2), (3), and (4).

(b) Under such regulations as may be prescribed by the Secretary concerned, the Judge Advocate General (as defined in section 801(1) of this title) under the jurisdiction of the Secretary is responsible for the establishment and supervision of legal assistance programs under this section.

( c) This section does not authorize legal counsel to be provided to represent a member or former member of the uniformed services described in subsection (a), or the dependent of such a member or former member, in a legal proceeding if the member or former member can afford legal fees for such representation without undue hardship.

(d) The Secretary concerned shall define "dependent" for the purposes of this section.

Who is eligible for legal assistance?

Members of the armed forces on active duty for 30 days or more, including reservists (and members of the National Guard) on active duty for 30 days or more.

Other persons eligible.

As resources permit, legal assistance may also be provided to the following categories of people in the order listed:

(1) The spouse and minor children of active duty personnel and of personnel who died while on active duty.

(2) Retired military personnel.

(3) Spouses and minor children of retired members

(4) Spouses and minor children of deceased retired members.

(5) Reservists on active duty for single periods of 29 days or less and their spouses and minor children may be provided legal assistance in emergency cases.

(6) For the purpose of enhancing the readiness of Reserve personnel for mobilization, premobilization legal counseling and assistance may be provided to active duty or inactive Reserve personnel consistent with mobilization readiness needs. Premobilization assistance normally will consist of drafting or updating wills, advance medical directives, and powers of attorney. Premobilization legal assistance services are not authorized for family members.

(7) Civilian personnel who are United States citizens, other than local hire employees, employed by, serving with, or accompanying the Armed Forces of the United States, when they are assigned to a foreign country or to a vessel or unit of the Armed Forces of the United States deployed in excess of 30 days.

(8) Spouses and minor children accompanying authorized civilians listed in subsection (7) above.

(9) Members of allied forces and their family members in the United States, serving with the Armed Forces of the United States.

(10) Other persons authorized by the Judge Advocate General of the respective Services

http://legalassistance.law.af.mil/content/afla.php?view=faqs#13

Edited by Wings

Guest johnson123

veterans, I have stated I have used this office for 5 years to look over papers,wills ect, this Is my first claim . I want a eed . The jag Is my poa If there was no truth In what I stated why would he risk using the legal office? and his law degree? He Is my poa he called va yesterday and did state he wanted all information on my claim va did respond with the needed informatiom. I did not think I could use the jag to file my claim. It Is true I have gone to the office for 5 years. However I never thought to ask If the jag could take my claim. Because I was not entilied to this .This Is why I posted this topic. If I could use this service I wanted all veterans to know . I did not post this topic to make trouble I only wanted all veterans to know , just by asking a simple question can I use this office legal service to help me with my va claim. I went into the office of the ,and signed the poa form. I hope this will clear up this misunderstanding,I posted no lies I made no false statments I only posted that I am using a jag,I posted as I wanted to share the benifit I got. Now why would a lawyer risk his military and law degree to help me?. What benifit does this bring him? The award letter Is wrong va states I am retired navy,for the whole term of service, I get information from tricare,I and my dependents are In deers, I always respond to all navy papers, I AM NOT MILITARY RETIRED, .I should be medical disability I HAVE A HONORABLE DISCHARGE,. I did not want to go in full detail with my claim. I only tried to help a veteran now I am branded a lier. I hopr this will get menbers I told the truth

Guest johnson123

Sorry I forgot to add I have tried to get a lawyer,all refuse as va has my file as history .the jag proved them wrong, my next appointment Is Nov 14 at base, I also wanted to add the jag did look at my card. there Is evidence In that card as I