Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Speeding Up Claims Processing

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA just wants sheep or persons who will follow their instructions working for them. Viet Nam vets probably had a higher ratio of veterans working at the VA than now, as many VN era vet employees have retired. I doubt there are many vets working for the VA now but that's just my opinion. I believe the VA works hard to deny and/or delay claims. Lawyers do what lawyers are paid to do and at the VA it's no different.

Additionally, the VA has one of the best, top notch, PR teams available promoting it!! Everything you read says how great the VA is but "we" all know better. jmo

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carlie,

Admittedly at first I assumed since my wife's friend had the master's and got hired on as an adjudicator that everyone else needed to have a similar education level. Well my assumptions must be correct based upon this excerpt which I've plucked from a "Veterans Claims Examiner -- Buffalo, NY" job posting on USA JOBS website within the education qualifications subsection--

~~ "Education:Applicants must have completed one full year of graduate level education OR meet the superior academic achievement criteria.Superior Academic Achievement is based on a GPA of 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 (?B? or better) as recorded on the official transcript or as computed based on four years of education; Class Standing?upper third of the graduating class in college, university, or major subdivision such as College of Liberal Arts or School of Business Administration; or Election to membership in a national scholastic honor society.Applicants must provide documentation (transcript or letter from Dean or Registrar or honor society) to receive consideration.

It is also possible to combine education and experience.The Qualification Standards for General Schedule Positions Handbook will be used to evaluate applicants and is available for review in any Federal Human Resources Office."

SALARY RANGE: 37,534.00 - 48,790.00 USD per year

I highly doubt they'd be paying non degreed guys like myself in the high 30s to high 40s for a yearly salary. I am fully aware men and women like myself with or without any level of continuing education are more than capable of learning and retaining instructions and skillsets if not effected by some TBI or serious MH issue. This is much more reason to believe people like us should not fill just a handful of chairs at the VAROs but most if not all. I am very happy that all of you VN era veterans have pals working in these sections already and hope to see more of them and more of my OIF & OEF buddies in those seats soon to help speed up the process for all of us. Nice keeping in touch with yall!

• HadIt.com Elder

BigCountryVet - If that was aimed at me, who said anything about pals!!!!!!! My point was that there were vets working there, with many yrs experience. Now most of the experienced are gone and in order to keep up stats they would need to hirer more academics, who generally have little use for us veterans. jmo

pr

Carlie,

Admittedly at first I assumed since my wife's friend had the master's and got hired on as an adjudicator that everyone else needed to have a similar education level. Well my assumptions must be correct based upon this excerpt which I've plucked from a "Veterans Claims Examiner -- Buffalo, NY" job posting on USA JOBS website within the education qualifications subsection--

~~ "Education:Applicants must have completed one full year of graduate level education OR meet the superior academic achievement criteria.Superior Academic Achievement is based on a GPA of 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 (?B? or better) as recorded on the official transcript or as computed based on four years of education; Class Standing?upper third of the graduating class in college, university, or major subdivision such as College of Liberal Arts or School of Business Administration; or Election to membership in a national scholastic honor society.Applicants must provide documentation (transcript or letter from Dean or Registrar or honor society) to receive consideration.

It is also possible to combine education and experience.The Qualification Standards for General Schedule Positions Handbook will be used to evaluate applicants and is available for review in any Federal Human Resources Office."

I highly doubt they'd be paying non degreed guys like myself in the high 30s to high 40s for a yearly salary. I am fully aware men and women like myself with or without any level of continuing education are more than capable of learning and retaining instructions and skillsets if not effected by some TBI or serious MH issue. This is much more reason to believe people like us should not fill just a handful of chairs at the VAROs but most if not all. I am very happy that all of you VN era veterans have pals working in these sections already and hope to see more of them and more of my OIF & OEF buddies in those seats soon to help speed up the process for all of us. Nice keeping in touch with yall!

• HadIt.com Elder

The key difference is that Congress listens too much to paid lobbyists and not enough to veterans. Indeed, recent law changes have actually separated veterans even more into distinct groups that may end up competing against each other.

Divide and conquer? Anyway, the Nehmer debacle is an example of what can eventually happen when a large enough group of veterans raises enough "Cain". I suspect that the current fiduciary debacle will not gain as much attention, as egregious as it is.

Just look at the VA's tactics in the fiduciary area. I'm not sure that the VA will let the current court ruling stand without a fight. I want to see some VA "fast letters" and training letters that implement the court rulings. The Vietnam Vets were and are fighting with the VA.

They were getting basically nowhere until Adm. Zumwalt's son had an A.O. related disease and died from it. Zumwalt was at one time "CNO" or Chief of Naval Operations. He instituted some major changes in the way that the navy treated enlisted men, among others.

Classically, the VA has taken the stance (until Nehmer) that veterans had to prove the unprovable, and that no evidence is negative evidence, even when the laws say otherwise.

Traditionally, the government does not rate awarding entitlements high on the priority list. At least until complaints reach a level that forces action. Election time is a major player, since politicians become temporarily sensitive to public sentiment.

The United States does just not rate veterans as high on priority list of "things to do". Look how they drag their feet on "Care givers" program just for the most severely disabled vet's spouses. I guess Vietnam Era vets just got by on their own for 4 decades. When you see that vets can't even agree on who their friends are in congress you know they will always be dead last. Nobody has a better claim on the nation's resources than disabled vets, but every Tom, Dick or Harry can get more because they are organized. The NRA has congress jumping through hoops for them and their are 25 million vets who have to beg for help.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would not have wanted to take on the VA hassle for this amount of money! "SALARY RANGE: 37,534.00 - 48,790.00 USD per year"

But, there were times when I might have considered it.

That's less than my retirement income after taxes, before I add investment income (if any). I do not have a 4 year degree, but did have formal multiyear "technical education", and specialized industrial/military certifications and "clearances".

Carlie,

the process will never speed up. lets get really there are more veterans to come home. they say ssi will be broke. do you thing there going to just let veterans rec benfits. never will.

that why amc is open to hold claims with big retro.

amc does not answer to anyone. the place to send all those claim which need to be granted.

soon you will not even be able to talk to anyone about your claim. e benfits. look at all the phone numbers gone. the amc does not even have a number..

so my thought is it will get much hard to get your claim process.

3 yrs on appeal for me

2 yrs amc done nothing.

so i say 2 yrs till decision

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• Lebro earned a badge
      First Post
    • stuart55 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • stuart55 earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • Lebro earned a badge
      Conversation Starter
    • Sparklinger earned a badge
      First Post
  • Our picks

• Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   
    • Welcome to hadit!  

There are certain rules about community care reimbursement, and I have no idea if you met them or not.  Try reading this:

https://www.va.gov/resources/getting-emergency-care-at-non-va-facilities/

However, (and I have no idea of knowing whether or not you would likely succeed) Im unsure of why you seem to be so adamant against getting an increase in disability compensation.  

When I buy stuff, say at Kroger, or pay bills, I have never had anyone say, "Wait!  Is this money from disability compensation, or did you earn it working at a regular job?"  Not once.  Thus, if you did get an increase, likely you would have no trouble paying this with the increase compensation.  

However, there are many false rumors out there that suggest if you apply for an increase, the VA will reduce your benefits instead.  

That rumor is false but I do hear people tell Veterans that a lot.  There are strict rules VA has to reduce you and, NOT ONE of those rules have anything to do with applying for an increase.  

Yes, the VA can reduce your benefits, but generally only when your condition has "actually improved" under ordinary conditions of life.  

Unless you contacted the VA within 72 hours of your medical treatment, you may not be eligible for reimbursement, or at least that is how I read the link, I posted above. Here are SOME of the rules the VA must comply with in order to reduce your compensation benefits:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.344

• Good question.   

Maybe I can clear it up.  

The spouse is eligible for DIC if you die of a SC condition OR any condition if you are P and T for 10 years or more.  (my paraphrase).  

More here:

Source:

https://www.va.gov/disability/dependency-indemnity-compensation/

NOTE:   TO PROVE CAUSE OF DEATH WILL LIKELY REQUIRE AN AUTOPSY.  This means if you die of a SC condtion, your spouse would need to do an autopsy to prove cause of death to be from a SC condtiond.    If you were P and T for 10 full years, then the cause of death may not matter so much. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use