Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Ptsd? Modifying The Diagnosis

Rate this question

Hoppy

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have been helping a veteran who ran into a C&P examiner who screwed up the veteran's claim by saying that even though he had many symptoms of PTSD, the only disabling symptoms were caused by alcohol abuse and not PTSD. The C&P examiner did not give any coherent foundation as to how it was determined the veteran had no disabling symptoms of PTSD. The veteran's claim was denied and it will be rebutted with new and stronger evidence. While helping this veteran I gave a lot of thought to how psychiatrists use unsupportable designer diagnoses to screw up veteran's claims.

I have a designer diagnosis that I want to get in the books that recognizes the disabling effect of any neuroendocrine disorder related to combat or other stressors. This diagnosis needs a name that does not have negative connotations associating it with disorders of the mind. Neuroendrocine disorders involve sleep, mood and behavior changes caused by the underlying chemical changes in the endocrine system. There are tests that can reliably identify the chemical changes caused by stress. In cases in which the condition is established by tests and history proof of a stressor is not necessary.

These disorders involve symptoms of sleep disturbance, anger and result in substance abuse/dependence. These symptoms can cause a significant disability. I have seen no scientific evidence suggesting that these symptoms only occur in mental conditions which include symptoms that result in the persistent re-experiencing of a specific stressor. These symptoms can develop secondary or comorbid anxiety, MDD and agoraphobia. These symptoms interfere with employment and social functioning. However, I have seen numerous claims by veterans who have these symptoms denied because they did not meet all the symptoms of PTSD.

My premise is that like PTSD this new diagnosis can onset years after the stressors related to combat occur. Thus, a delayed onset manifestation should be service connectable. While studying physiological psychology in college in the early 1970's I was taught that these conditions were irreversible and can require a lifetime of medication. Currently, PTSD symptoms of re-experiencing are considered treatable with cognitive therapy. Additionally, the veterans I talked to find the sleep disorders and anger to be the most disabling features of their condition, rather than re-experiencing. I have seen no changes in the literature since the 1970's suggesting that the sleep disorders and anger problems associated with neuroendocrine disorders are curable. Medications were considered a complex treatment regiment not a cure. In the 1970's, there was no requirement that the individual be required to have persistent re-experiencing of a specific stressor. The requirement that there be a symptom of persistent re-experiencing was developed by the same people who created PTSD as a designer diagnosis that would limit the government's liability. Every time they add a new diagnosis it costs the government and insurance companies millions of dollars. In the late 1980's, the designer features of PTSD involved objective standards of a stressor. Currently, there is a ton of information on this subject online. http://www.campsych.com/PTSD.htm

There was an individual who suffered from these symptoms and was an advocate for combat veterans with mental conditions in the 1950's. His name was Audie Murphy. I like the idea of veterans being able to say they have "Audi Murphy Syndrome" rather than some generic name that sounds like something some shrink invented. Additionally, every now and then I run into some clown who attacks veterans with symptoms of a mental condition as being non hackers or otherwise weak in character. I tell these clowns to quit beating up on people they know nothing about and stop insulting Audie Murphy. Some of them even ask me "who is Audie Murphy"?

Audie Murphy was able to work as an actor after returning from WWII. Not everybody with neuroendrocine conditions are lucky enough to work in industries that overlook their symptoms. Even Charlie Sheen has been able to work in the entertainment industry with all his issues. It is obvious from Audie Murphy's advocacy in the 1950's that he had a sense that the symptoms that occur after returning from combat would cause most people significant social and industrial difficulties. For that matter they should call PTSD "Audie Murphy Syndrome" and this new condition can be called "Audie Murphy Syndrome W/O re-experiencing".

Where has Hoppy been? See my post under social chat

Edited by Hoppy

Hoppy

100% for Angioedema with secondary conditions.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Hobby,

Missed you posting. I honestly believe that the VA will try to find anything to deny a Veteran's PTSD claim. Last Sept, the VA sent me a letter informing me that they wanted to re-exam my PTSD (I was and currently rated at 30%). I have not heard from the VA regarding this reexamination. However, the second doctor actually linked my overeating to my PTSD. Overeating does not cause my PTSD, my PTSD causes my overeating. I think the VA is scratching their heads over this, but they hired the doctor, not me. Wish you well with your friend.

Papa

Hoppy-very interesting post.

Audie Murphy claimed that his acting career in war movies actually intensified his stress disorder.

It is so unfortunate that he did not get adequate PTSD care in those days and of course he kept those innocent school boy looks throughout his movies and didnt "look" disabled and managed to hide his anxiety and stress for years but he was one of the first 'famous' people to start talking about PTSD and how our Gov had to begin to recognize this devastating by -product of warfare.

Lewis Puller ( Chesty's son) was a whole different situation-somehow he even managed to become a lawyer with catastrophic physical and mental disabilities from Vietnam and even worked at VA Central Office.However he dealt with alcoholism and killed himself in 1994.

Audie's Book “To Hell and Back” and the movie are classics and Lewis's book “Fortunate Son” as well and should both be required reading in our high schools in my opinion."The Red Badge of Courage" which he starred in was required reading in my college course at AMU.

Having had a husband with 100% SC PTSD I am well aware that the lack of understanding of this disorder by others adds to the emotional pain of having PTSD.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

I saw a photo of Audie Murphy in his uniform shortly after the war. He did not look like the Audie Murphy in Hollywood. He was gaunt and had a haunted look in his eyes. Audie was able to work in Hollywood because he was the most decorated soldier in WWII. He could not act, but was a sentimental favorite. He went through hell in WWII and deserved the medals he got. He paid the price. I agree that the VA has invented their version of PTSD to screen out thousands of vets who come back with all the problems Hoppy has indicated. Nobody has all the symptoms of PTSD. If you just have three or four you will suffer bad enough.