Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

After Going Through The Process, What Would You Have Done Differently In Your Claim?

Rate this question

retiredat44

Question

After going through the process, what would you have done differently in your claim? Whether you won or lost, appealed, etc... what would you had done differently, in hindsight, when you did the whole process of your disability claim?

Myself, (I was advised to do this, while I had already started the process and was in the first denial, I was advised of doing things I should have done at the get go..):

I would have led them by the hand with everything, no matter how easy, how simple, how easily understood, even by a monkey, I would have spelled out every step, every issue, every minute detail.

Even though the medical records showed what I ended up stating during the ongoing appeal.. I would have stated everything..

Even though I relied on my (VSO) Veterans Service Officer, to type out my claim, and spell out why I was filing my claim and what conditions. My VSO did not elaborate all my duties. I was stupid in thinking the VA had complete job descriptions. My VSO left out many details of my jobs and what my conditions are.

I waited too long. I also should have appealed some issues denied in my first claims filed in the 1990's. As they festered and go much worse with time. I should have filed as soon as I got my first day out of the hospital in 2008. I could not walk, but I could have gone in a wheel chair to my VSO or VA claims office, and a ride from someone.

I tried working with VSO who did not have time to help me. I should have just filed on my own instead of waiting for appointments that took many months.

MY biggest mistakes were trying to get help from others who didn't do their job as good as they should, fill paperwork as wel as they should, or invest in time for me in a timeley manner. I also did not correct the mistakes fast enough, I really gave the VA claims too much credit thinking they actually cared, they could give a rats ass. Their only goal is to deny deny until they die. I relied on others. IN some fairness to myslef, I was put through hell, pumped full; of drugs and literally drieven mad from a huge nightmare from a long stay in the hosptial fighting for my life. I was and stil am very traumatized. I was even sent for professional help, the doctors felt I had gone through so much hell, they made me get help. Then trying to go throug legal stuff with the VA screwing me at at turn, just made it to difficult to get through the process without help. I was in such bad shape, I was uanble to feed myself, hold things, walk, and even talking was extremely difficult. I hads no muscles left to move body parts. Timne wwas being wasted while waiting for help. Even while in line at the VA claims counter, I needed help, and they treated me like crap.

I look back and still see things I could have handled better, and should have won my claim without needing appeals...

Edited by retiredat44

Not in appeals, since I got 100%, and some of it was winning an 1151 negligence, which the VA turns out does not give ful benefits if you win 1151 negligence they squirm and legal loophhole you and your family out of many benefits, really crapp nasty bunch running the va benefits, they wil backstab and scre wyou even if you win you lose. May 2021.

01-01-11_My_Medical_Records2.jpg

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Before the internet or BBS where did you go for information about your claim? You sure as heck could not trust the VA. I trusted them to an extent but I regreted it. The VSO's were pretty awful and even helped me lose claims. The biggest factor was lack of information. If I had a doctor who understood the VA system and was an advocate I could gotten a much higher rating years ago. It took 15 years to get an increase from 10% to 30% and another 6 years to get to 70%. Once I started posting on hadit it took a couple of years to go from 30% to TDIU.

My first mistake was believing the Navy and VA would do my claim properly without my input. I am still in process of correcting them mistakes 18 years later.This time I am sending them all documentation personally and with tracking of mailed items. This will be their last chance before I hire a lawyer as I am tired of paper wars. My shrink at my c&p destroyed the personality disorder I was discharged with and service connected my mental issues all the way back to 1992.

• HadIt.com Elder

My psychologist told me the VA is trying to get him and other clinical psychologists to do C&P exams for $165 each because of the overflow. What professional is going to do a real C&P exam for $165? This relates to the VA's stupidity and cheapness. Few of us understood what creeps they are when we started our progress towards getting a rating. If I had understood what cheap bums they were I would have gotten an IMO much earlier. As long as I could work I guess I just did not worry about it. The best health care system in the world....???? Vets should be marching on their VARO's with pitchforks and tourches like in the old Frankenstein movies.

1.) I would have requested a copy of my husbands SMR's before opening the claim .

After opening a claim the SMR's are sent to the RO & then you must rely on them to give you a complete copy. I'll never know what may have been lost along the way. Also, had I gone thru them first, I could have worded the claimed conditions more specifically as his records showed.

2.) I would have only claimed the most important issues and not put all the claims in at once.

Even though you want an earlier effective date, putting in all at once or adding to the claim as it is being worked REALLY slows the claim. Things that should be s/c but would be rated at 0% - wait on those. Yes, you want everything s/c that should be, so if it worsens you won't have such a hassel, but realize those will slow the process.

3.) I would have prepared myself for the "denial" 1st round, 2nd round etc... As most of the claims were for presumptive issues, I foolishly beleived they would be s/c'd right away. The denials are very difficult to stomach when you are watching your loved one suffer & deteriorate from conditions you know are military related. Prepare yourself & don't take it personally.

Believe in yourself, believe in your claim & consider each denial as "forced savings" when you read the denial & feel defeted, think of the lump sum you will get when you WIN ! Read the success stories & stay inspired.

It is still surreal to us. My husand was ust granted 100% p&t in July , I have my avatar at 0, since it was he that served & not me.

My biggest mistake so far was the fact I did not send my form 9 via certified mail.

After I submitted the document, I began to call asking for status updates from the VA. I would get canned answers such as, this type of appeal takes time, so be patient. This went on for quite awhile. I finally talked with someone who dropped the bomb on me that there was no appeal and a form 9 was never received. In the meantime the 1 year appeal period had passed.

As my only option, I applied for an increase and was awarded an increase. Effective date was Feb 2011 instead of my date of separation.

I was too trusting in the VA, my VSO and learned a mighty lesson.

It seems to be a common trend so please pass it along!