Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Changing Ss To Ss Disability

Rate this question

Papa

Question

I receive a social security (small amount) check each month. This is from a small business that I have owned and worked at for many years. I also worked for the Government, so there was something call an offset that was done. Down since I have been drawing this small SS check, I have deleloped Parkinson's Disease, which is on the SSA's list that almost guarantees approval. Now, my question is would it make any difference in the amount of my check each month if I'm approved for SS Disability? BTW, I get $250.00 now.

Papa

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

It'll depend on whether you took your retirement at a reduced age, like 62yo. If you took an early retirement and received a reduced rate, it could mean an increase. If $250 is the reduced monthly rate @ 62yo, your SSDI rate would be approx $357. I'm not sure about any gov't offsets.

pr

I took the early retirement at 62. The offset happens when you work for the Feds, even if my business had nothing to do with me working civil service. They reduced my SS check because I worked for the Government.

Papa

I took the early retirement at 62. The offset happens when you work for the Feds, even if my business had nothing to do with me working civil service. They reduced my SS check because I worked for the Government.

Papa

Papa, it you were a congressman or a senator add a couple 000,00 on to your amount. They forgot us, specially guy's like you and me. It's sad!

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere"

To add to my first post, would it help my TDIU claim if I received DD Disability?

Papa

• HadIt.com Elder

Being that you took the reduced at 62, I am not sure you would no be eligible to go back and seek SSDI, unless you had a SSDI claim in already ..........You would need to talk to SS office or an SS Lawyer.

In my situation my Fed retirement is offset on SSDI amount, at 62 this ends and my Fed retirement takes a substantial boost......I digress that the system as we know it, will no longer be in place by then, but it looks good on paper.

Edited by JR Reihs

Do yourself a favor.....buy some gold and silver! The printing presses are in overdrive.