Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

I've Been Away From This Board For Awhile, And Got A Little Rusty

Rate this question

vaf

Question

Hi everyone,

I've been tied up trying to deal with four simultaneous Board remands on different claims for my husband, and am now turning my attention back to a claim that I don't know what to do with as to my next step. I need some guidance, and I looked over the Bradley v. Peake information here and can't find (or overlooked) what I need. Plus, I've lost some of the knowledge I gained from this board since my last visit. Can I come to you for advice, please? I apologize for the length of this.

The basic question is what does one do when the VARO refuses to accept a claim as a claim, tells the veteran they won't consider it via a perfunctory statement without any evidence list, or Reasons and Basis provided?

My husband has been rated 100% schedular P & T since August 2003 (prior to that, 90% since August 1993). His highest rating is 60%, so he is not TDIU. Above that 100% schedular rating, he was subsequently given, in November 2007, an additional 50% rating for sleep apnea, and 30% rating for bilateral cataracts, unrelated to any previously rated conditions.

My husband went on Social Security disability in September 2007 due solely to three disabling conditions that are service-connected at 60%,40%, and at the time we filed for his SSD, 30%. Recently, that 30% disability rating for Organic Mental Syndrome he's held since August 1993 was raised to 50% disabling effective November 2011. We are appealing the effective date since this has been an open claim since 1993 (bounced around between the VARO, the Board, and the Court several times since 1993).

In August 2010, we filed for SMC based on statutory eligibility when we heard about the Bradley v. Peake decision. We had asked if it would be more beneficial to the veteran to be considered for TDIU status in order to be considered for SMC under Bradley v. Peake. The VARO subsequently sent a VCAA notice dated September 2010, that addressed a different claim, but in that same VCAA notice, the VARO stated the following:

"We received your claim for a toptal disability rating based on unemployability; however, our records indicate that you are already receiving a 100% combined disability rating. Therefore, the issue of individual unemployability will not be considered"

In response, we wrote the VARO in September 2010, telling them that although their correspondence to us was not presented to us as a formal Rating Decision, it clearly carried the same force and indicated it was final. The VARO did not provide any legal citations, any evidence, any reasons or bases for its decision. We added that we were treating their statement the same as if it were a Rating Decision, and that our response was to be interpreted as our formal Notice of Disagreement.

We have not heard a word since, there has been no Statement of the Case provided to us, and I believe this claim is not being viewed as a claim.

To support our position, I brought up the fact that in Acosta v. Principi, 18 Vet. App. 53 (2004), the Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims pointed out that the considerations for TDIU and schedular ratings are different, and, if a schedular rating should be reduced for some reason, the TDIU could conceivably remain in place, so the benefits are not strictly congruent. Also in Acosta, the Court stated:

"Furthermore, the Court has previously concluded that schedular and extraschedular rating increase claims are not necessarily "inextricably intertwined" with TDIU rating claims predicated on the same condition. Colayong v. West, 12 Vet. App. 524, 537 (1999). Taking this into consideration along with the benefits that come with a 100% schedular rating that are not available under a TDIU rating, it is evident that the award of TDIU rating does not moot a claim for a 100% schedular rating."

We expected a challenge over our argument that the decision also applied in reverse, that the award of a 100% schedular rating does not moot a TDIU rating, either.

In Bradley v. Peake, the Court made it clear that the VA could not require one condition rated as 100% disabling to be a precursor for SMC(s) benefits. The Court held that Section 1114(s) does not limit "a service-connected disability rated as total" to only a schedular rating of 100% - it includes a disability that would support the grant of IU. In addition, the Court held that when a veteran has several service-connected conditions that combine to a 100% evaluation, if the veteran would be monetarily advantaged by having just one service-connected condition support a total IU rating and the veteran has other service-connected conditions, which combined are at least 60% disabling, the VA is obligated to rate the case to maximize the benefits that can be paid to the veteran.

Additionally, SMC benefits must be granted when a veteran becomes eligible without need for a separate claim (Akles v. Derwinski, 1 Vet. App. 118,121 (1991).

It appears the VARO is ignoring us. How does one CUE an agency that won't even acknowldge that the claim exists? I know they received everything because I have the certified mail receipts that prove it.

Or, am I totally wrong in my interpretation of my husband's eligibility for consideration under Acosta?

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted · Hidden by Berta, March 18, 2012 - mulipple posts
Hidden by Berta, March 18, 2012 - mulipple posts

As Teac said:

“The problem is that you need to prove that he could justify a TDIU rating. If you can justify a TDIU rating based on medical evidence, and a work history that shows the veteran is unable to work because of a specific disability then you might then have a case for the TDIU and SMC, if he has a seperate rating of 60%.”

I am a little familiar with pituitary brain tumors.One of my husband's (an army vet) had one and the SSDI granted solely on the disabling affects of it after surgery. I assume your husband's organic mental syndrome is solely due to the tumor situation.But I could be wrong.

What is the SSA award actually for, when did he get this award, and when did he formally apply for TDIU on the 21-8940 form?

The reason I ask is ,if the SSA award is solely for the tumor and residuals and TDIU had been requested prior to the VA 100%award, I agree with others here that a lawyer could potentially consider

filing a CUE if at some point there was any unappealed denied decision on TDIU ,that preceded the 100% award.

“60% residuals from pituitary brain tumor surgery as of August 1993 (under Board remand)

50% organic mental syndrome (30% as of August 1993, 50% as of November 2011 - open claim “

Can you tell us the diagnostic codes they used for these two ratings?

Can you tell us what the third condition was for, that SSDI awarded on? They award diferently than VA so I am trying to see if it is also due to the primary tumor condition.

Mandamus-the problem with Writs of Mandamus require every avenue of ap[peal being echausted first,except in unusual situations.

A lawyer could also assess the potential for that.

Bradley V Peake:

We just did a show last week ,discussing Bradley V Peake about 18 minutes into the show, with Carrie Weletz , lawyer fro Bergmann and Moore law firm:

http://www.svr-radio.com/archives.html

I think I commented on the Bradley decision that it is basically 'cut and dried.'

You stated:

“In addition, the Court held that when a veteran has several service-connected conditions that combine to a 100% evaluation, if the veteran would be monetarily advantaged by having just one service-connected condition support a total IU rating and the veteran has other service-connected conditions, which combined are at least 60% disabling, the VA is obligated to rate the case to maximize the benefits that can be paid to the veteran.”

That is the key to TDIU- one sole SC condition .

This is the problem here:

“100% combined disability rating.”

It might well take an independent medical opinion that considers the SSA records and the primary disability to see if this should not be a combined 100% rating, but in fact TDIU, solely based on one prime SC rating, to hopefully set the stage for SMC.

Then a lawyer could CUE this statement if there is no past unappealed denial of TDIU.:

“In response, we wrote the VARO in September 2010, telling them that although their correspondence to us was not presented to us as a formal Rating Decision, it clearly carried the same force and indicated it was final. “

To add you stated :

“Additionally, SMC benefits must be granted when a veteran becomes eligible without need for a separate claim (Akles v. Derwinski, 1 Vet. App. 118,121 (1991). “

Right- and I had to file a CUE claim on this in 2004, finally awarded this January.

The VA in their numerous multiple and futile attempts to deny the CUE claim, for 7 years, stated that since my husband never asked for SMC in his lifetime, this was one reason for denial.

When I asked for them to produce any established VA reg or case law on that one,-they didn't respond as there is no reg or case law that says that.

The very date the veterans becomes eligible for SMC, by ratings and medical evidence,the VA is mandated by statute to consider SMC.

My husband was 100% SC PTSD P & T and the accrued award in part was for SMC CUE under 1151 regarding a CVA.

It was rated 100% and paid for 6 months,then they paid “S for 2 years on that. but the reality is it was P & T at 100% until my husbands died.

Maybe the fact this was an 1151 award for the CUE is why TDIU was not an issue -I need to read their long decision again.

But SSA had awarded solely for CVA at first ,then upon reconsideration SSDI solely for the PTSD.

The VA has never even acknowledged my husband's formal TDIU claim.

This is why it would be beneficial to you to see if in fact, the SSDI award was solely for residuals of the prime pituitary condition, and to no other separate medical cause.

As Capt Contaminate always says NEVER GIVE UP!

I liked the Voodoo doll reference! My husband said his claim problems before he died was due to the 'billboard'-

I asked What billboard, and he replied,. The one across the street from the Buffalo VARO that says "F--- this veteran-Rod Simmons!"

As Teac said:

“The problem is that you need to prove that he could justify a TDIU rating. If you can justify a TDIU rating based on medical evidence, and a work history that shows the veteran is unable to work because of a specific disability then you might then have a case for the TDIU and SMC, if he has a seperate rating of 60%.”

I am a little familiar with pituitary brain tumors.One of my husband's (an army vet) had one and the SSDI granted solely on the disabling affects of it after surgery. I assume your husband's organic mental syndrome is solely due to the tumor situation.But I could be wrong.

What is the SSA award actually for, when did he get this award, and when did he formally apply for TDIU on the 21-8940 form?

The reason I ask is ,if the SSA award is solely for the tumor and residuals and TDIU had been requested prior to the VA 100%award, I agree with others here that a lawyer could potentially consider

filing a CUE if at some point there was any unappealed denied decision on TDIU ,that preceded the 100% award.

“60% residuals from pituitary brain tumor surgery as of August 1993 (under Board remand)

50% organic mental syndrome (30% as of August 1993, 50% as of November 2011 - open claim “

Can you tell us what the third condition was for, that SSDI awarded on? They award diferently than VA so I am trying to see if it is also due to the primary tumor condition.

Mandamus-the problem with Writs of Mandamus require every avenue of ap[peal being echausted first,except in unusual situations.

Bradley V Peake:

We just did a show last week ,discussing Bradley V Peake about 18 minutes into the show, with Carrie Weletz , lawyer fro Bergmann and Moore law firm:

I think I commented on the Bradley decision that it is basically 'cut and dried.'

You stated:

“In addition, the Court held that when a veteran has several service-connected conditions that combine to a 100% evaluation, if the veteran would be monetarily advantaged by having just one service-connected condition support a total IU rating and the veteran has other service-connected conditions, which combined are at least 60% disabling, the VA is obligated to rate the case to maximize the benefits that can be paid to the veteran.”

It might well take an independent medical opinion that considers the SSA records and the primary disability to see if this should not be a combined 100% rating, but in fact TDIU, solely based on one prime SC rating, to hopefully set the stage for SMC.

Then a lawyer could CUE this statement if there is no past unappealed denial of TDIU.:

“In response, we wrote the VARO in September 2010, telling them that although their correspondence to us was not presented to us as a formal Rating Decision, it clearly carried the same force and indicated it was final. “

To add you stated :

“Additionally, SMC benefits must be granted when a veteran becomes eligible without need for a separate claim (Akles v. Derwinski, 1 Vet. App. 118,121 (1991). “

Right- and I had to file a CUE claim on this in 2004, finally awarded this January.

The VA in their numerous multiple and futile attempts to deny the CUE claim, for 7 years, stated that since my husband never asked for SMC in his lifetime, this was one reason for denial.

When I asked for them to produce any established VA reg or case law on that one,-they didn't respond as there is no reg or case law that says that.

The very date the veterans becomes eligible for SMC, by ratings and medical evidence,the VA is mandated by statute to consider SMC.

My husband was 100% SC PTSD P & T and the accrued award in part was for SMC CUE under 1151 regarding a CVA.

It was rated 100% and paid for 6 months,then they paid “S for 2 years on that. but the reality is it was P & T at 100% until my husbands died.

Maybe the fact this was an 1151 award for the CUE is why TDIU was not an issue -I need to read their long decision again.

But SSA had awarded solely for CVA at first ,then upon reconsideration SSDI solely for the PTSD.

This is why it would be beneficial to you to see if in fact, the SSDI award was solely for residuals of the prime pituitary condition, and to no other separate medical cause.

I liked the Voodoo doll reference! My husband said his claim problems before he died was due to the 'billboard'-

I asked What billboard, and he replied,. The one across the street from the Buffalo VARO that says "F--- this veteran-Rod Simmons!"

As Teac said:

Bradley V Peake:

You stated:

To add you stated :

As Teac said:

Bradley V Peake:

You stated:

To add you stated :

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

As Teac said:

Bradley V Peake:

You stated:

To add you stated :

I asked What billboard, and he replied,.

The big one across the street from the Buffalo VARO that says "F--- this veteran-Rod Simmons!"

I laughed when he said that but after he died, they put My Name on the Billboard after 'F--- this widow'!

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Hello VAF,

I am so glad you have not lost your sense of humor in the past 2 decades of this fight. I am just sorry it has taken you so long but again we covered some of the problem as to identify ineptness of Regional Offices.

Berta has given some more light on what you can examine as other options in your attack on their faulty decision. Yes it will be up to you to carry on the next part of the fight. They have volleyed to you and its your turn to give it back to them. An answer that will "uncloud" the water that they have already started with you according to some of the statements from the RO that you listed.

Trying to show a work history may not really be a big problem and having SSDI or SA award will help in a VA decision but that does not mean it is automatic for the VA to award.

I personally would look over your records , seek a good solid IMO from a doctor that would be dealing with the specific issues and make sure that the "is as least as likely as not" ties in to those issues that the VA is denying. It is also helpful that this Doctor can also include a strong opinion on your husbands work ability or lack thereof. You could actually use that to get 2 birds with one stone.

The TDIU and extra schedulars added to the other health issues look like you could easily hit the SMC mark and then apply for them,,,,, but at this point your claim has been in some pretty rough waters on process of the timetables and the steps that have been used/exhausted. If it was me I would not take the chance to loose in the final inning with your bases loaded and Casey is at bat.

I would call in Babe Ruth............. the biggest , baddest , most aggressive , take no for an answer lawyer and let them hit it out of the park.

It just is too much of a gamble at this point. Now I am not saying that our folks here are not capable to pick this up and follow it on. As a matter of fact , I believe you hear a lawyer probably cover exactly what has been discussed in this thread. But now it comes down to possibly having to go up with the Dept of Justice Lawyers and having that equal playing field just makes the Regional Office note that they are now on notice. It will be harder for them to keep bringing up old issues that have already been adjudicated or trying to ask for something you sent them 15 years ago.

The diagnostic codes for what the RO awarded are going to have to be looked at and see if their old trick of lowballing occurred. You will also need those when you become accurate in your pursuit and propelling the claim to an award.

Personally , I like what you have posted and think the VA played unfairly with you and your husband. It NEVER should have gotten this far with so much incorrectness on their part. But it is what it is and now you are still in the game ......... We have recommeded lawyers here at Hadit with Bergman and Moore,,,,Carrie Weletz and some others . I am using a lawyer from NOVA and have had good results and I must say that it will take some of the BURDEN that I know you are carrying ......off of your shoulders so you can take a short breather.

You have fought this hard for nearly 2 decades so reminding you of this to stay tough is not needed here. Welcome back and I know you will prevail if you NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.

Thank you all, it's a lot to digest.

I'm taking a quick look at the responses again before heading off to church, and will work on a response when we return re. diagnostic codes, etc.

Berta, I wanted to re-post part of my original post that also indicates, at least to me, that the Court said the veteran isn't limited to just one disabling condition that makes him/her 100% disabled for SMC(s) purposes (along with the extra minimum of 60& total ratings beyond that).

In Bradley v. Peake, the Court made it clear that the VA could not require one condition rated as 100% disabling to be a precursor for SMC(s) benefits. The Court held that Section 1114(s) does not limit "a service-connected disability rated as total" to only a schedular rating of 100% - it includes a disability that would support the grant of IU. In addition, the Court held that when a veteran has several service-connected conditions that combine to a 100% evaluation, if the veteran would be monetarily advantaged by having just one service-connected condition support a total IU rating and the veteran has other service-connected conditions, which combined are at least 60% disabling, the VA is obligated to rate the case to maximize the benefits that can be paid to the veteran.

That's the part that really grabbed my attention.

Voodoo dolls are cheap down here -- billboards are big money, I would be flattered to attract that kind of investment as some backward sign of respect. Instead, they're reserved for messages like the one not too far from our house that warns drivers not to even think about burning their cars for insurance money, or to promote the casinos around here...

Ok, I now understand the situtation much better.

Truthfully, just based on the timeline, I don't think you will be able to prove he should have been awarded TDIU, short of a very specific doctors statement indicating he couldn't work prior to the his award for 100% and that his inability to work was because and only because of his 60% rating for residuals of the pituitary brain tumor. That might even be a hard arguement to make since he did work until 2007, at which point it appears he stopped because of his SSD and 100% va award.

You argue that he should be awarded TDIU based on the award of SSD alone. But that arguement is moot for purposes of SMC. I say this because you have stated that SSD was awarded based on four conditions not one. Even if the va decided to award TDIU because of the award of SSD, it is very likely that TDIU would have been awarded based all of his service connected conditions and not just the one issue rated 60% and in such a case SMC would not be awarded automatically.

From what I can tell from your statements TDIU was never actually requested until after he received a 100% rating, and until after Bradley v Peake was decided. You did state he worked off and on until 2007 because of service connected conditons this alone makes me wonder why TDIU was never a formal request before 2007. I am not saying this is a reason for denial, only that it does make me wonder if he was actually unable to work and retatin gainful employment, because of his service connected conditons.

Taking a close look at all of your husband's ratings, I honestly don't see how a case for TDIU could be made unless there were very specfic issues that most people with the same problems do not have. Many people with residuals from pituitary brain tumors work well into normal and even beyond retirement years. Looking at all the other ratings, there isn't one that would normally contribute to the inability to work. But I am no doctor, and again realize different people with the same problems may have very different symptoms.

I still think you have an up hill battle. Unless there is a clear way of you proving he should have been rated TDIU prior to any award of 100%, I honeslty don't see any other way to a TDIU rating. I really do wish you the best of luck in pursuit of this claim, I wish I had other ideas that could help you in the pursuit but unfornatuately I don't.

. In addition, the Court held that when a veteran has several service-connected conditions that combine to a 100% evaluation, if the veteran would be monetarily advantaged by having just one service-connected condition support a total IU rating and the veteran has other service-connected conditions, which combined are at least 60% disabling, the VA is obligated to rate the case to maximize the benefits that can be paid to the veteran.

That's the part that really grabbed my attention.

This is the part that I though that you were basing discussion and TDIU claim on.

It could be that my thoughs are way off base and that Cpt Contaminate is correct in his assumption that you have a valid claim. With all due respect to him, but for me it is hard to seperate his attacks on the va and his supporting opinions concerning your case.

As to the hiring of a lawyer, I wouldn't hire a lawyer until you have at least contacted the Veterans consortium for opinions or for a Pro Bon lawyer. @ http://www.vetsprobono.org/ About 5 years ago they defended one of my claims pro bono and won. In fact they contacted me and asked to represent my claim. Again best of luck to you and yours.....