Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dav

Rate this question

vet2010

Question

I know this is not the right FORUM however I need to know. I am thinking of joining the DAV and I want to know the pros and cons of this organization before I become a member.

vet2010

I know this is not the right FORUM however I need to know. I am thinking of joining the DAV and I want to know the pros and cons of this organization before I become a member.

vet2010

You don't have to be a member to go down to one of the chapters and see what they are talking about. I've had issues with the DAV at the RO but the chapter I'm registered with has helped me more than Ebenies, IRIS and the RO. They can't perform maricales but, sometimes all an individual needs is a word or information to just be at ease for one minute. Silence is deafening when you're hurting, not sleeping etc..... But my chapter asked me a question about my claim I provided an answer they said they'd check into it and BAM I got a replay from the DAV chapter and even a little note from IRIS in less than a week. Will it stick who knows, will it come true? One day. But that little word got me off of my downward spiral of checking Ebenies several times a day. Are they all great NO. As Master Chief once told me sometimes you get out what you put in. HOLLAA! Ooh Raahh

KC

If you read the DAV charter, it says it all:

http://www.dav.org/membership/documents/constitutionbylaws.pdf

In pertinent part, in the DAV charter, the DAV, purpose is: (a direct quote from their charter)

.... to cooperate with the United States 2
Department of Veterans Affairs and all other
public and private agencies.....

...end of DAV charter quote

The DAV can not serve TWO masters...the Veteran and the VA. Guess which one has more money?

We all know better about the VA's rah rah about "favor the Veteran" "benefit of the doubt" and other such political election campaign promises with no substance.

The purpose of the DAV is to assist the VA in delaying and denying claims, pure and simple.

Does the DAV sue the VA to get them to eliminate the backlog? No.

Does the DAV take a public position against the VA? No. No matter how bad the VA hurts Vets, the DAV always sides with the VA. Its in their charter.

If you want someone who "represents you" AND your adversary, with financial ties to the adversary, go with the DAV. The "non adversarial" relationship is how the VA justifies this.

The VA has a VESTED FINANCIAL INTEREST in the DAV, noting that the DAV pays no rent to the VA. No light bills. No water bills. No heat.

Its all "free rent". If you believe that rent is free, then I have ocean front property in Kansas to sell you.

In short, beware of your opponents attorney, who offers to "help you" for free.

Edited by broncovet

I will add to the above, that even a dog is often loyal to his owner who feeds him and will often bite any others who invades his space. His job is to protect "his owner" and, in the Case of the DAV, the guy who feeds him is the VA.

The DAV showed their true colors a few years ago when they sided with the VA when Vets wanted to be able to have lawyers represent Veterans. The DAV insisted that Vets dont NEED lawyers, after all, they have VSO's!

The problem is when VSO's fail Vets, where do the Vets turn? Yes, we do turn to hadit, but many many Vets require the assistance of a lawyer. The NVLSP, for example, has won millions of dollars for Veterans....mostly money where the VETS VSO was not able to win the case for him.

Veterans wanted the RIGHT to (attorney representation) similar to the rights of an alleged criminal has the right to an attorney. The DAV suggested that Veterans are not capable of making that decision (whether or not the Veteran should hire an attorney), that this decision should be made by politicians, VSO's etc.

NO NO NO.

Our country is about individual rights. Vets, of all people, should have a right to representation of their choice, not a representative chosen by the VA to represent VA interests.

At the end of the Day, I love me SOME ME! Is the DAV perfect, No, do they help? some of them. Although, I've never heard that I couldn't hire a lawyer, change representation, or have to be represented by anyone, from what I see from the system VSO's are just paper pushers, they push what you give them some of them push it some of them stuff it into drawers and forget them. I get my info go by the VSO and then straight to the RO with the same info and at the end of the day I get the same result, NOTHING laugh.png I could hire a lawyer but then he/she get's what 20-30% for doing what making them do their job. Come on Now none of us cant be that simplistic to actually believe that if that lawyer is not already connected to the RO he get's it done no faster than a VET on ebenies and HADIT. Why would he hurry, his % just keeps rising the longer he/she waits on YOUR $$. A great man once told me no-one takes care of cham like cham. I've heard good stories from both views. What I've not heard is a VSO taking 20-30% of a VETS well deserved disability claim. So it's a choice choose wisely and always ...... i mean always take care of your self and other fellow VETS.

God Bless and keep posting VETS