VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dav

Rate this question

vet2010

Question

I know this is not the right FORUM however I need to know. I am thinking of joining the DAV and I want to know the pros and cons of this organization before I become a member.

vet2010

We made donations to the DAV every year, here is my 2 cents worth. I lived in Boston 2001 I had a massive heart attack had 1 foot in the grave no income coming in, my wife went to DAV for help with bills, they told her you have to join DAV first to be helped and then told her it's not a guarentee because she works, she was making $10.00 an hour, We ended up living off my 401K from the post office until they retired me. I stopped all donations to them.

Thank you Relpats for your service and the kind words.

I think John has a very valid point that a Vet can make as good a case for himself that trying to appoint a VSO ......... and hope you get one of the good and sincere ones. OR..... you can also remember that NOW a Veteran does have some tools were as about 8-10 years ago it probably was not so. That tool is.................HADIT.com ...... because you can get some answers from many who have either been down that road....or from those that know the law....the 38CFRs. Also ,,,,you have to be your best advocate and study and try to learn as much as you can. At least you can find out what your next step should be and what are your choices.

I believe that the Veteran Service Organizations are more of group to have some type of social standing than to actually help .....ALL of our Veterans ,,,,,,,,equally. This goes back to VSOs are many but finding a real good one is very hard and they usually don't last long.NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.

Edited by Capt.Contaminate

I couldn't help not responding to this post. The DAV is good for the following: (and this is my opinion based on the DAV i my area)

1. Providing chapters where members can go and smoke and get drunk to oblivion. (To hell with those non smokers such as me) And that includes bingo parlors

2. Providing vans to transport veterans to the VA.

3. Sending out massive mail soliciting membership.

4. Sending out letters indicating the role in Congress, different bills impacting veterans.

the DAV is not good for the following:

1. Providing updates for veterans claims

2. Responding to veterans questions on claims appropriately nationwide. (Only certain regions appear to have DAV service officers that actually look into claims that have been filed.)

3. Actually, the veteran is better to file there own claim and follow up on there own claim using this site than rely upon them, they are only good to file the initial paperwork with no follow ups. However that is debatable as they screwed that up too.

4. Maintaining chapters. In my are they are run down and reek of cigarette smoke.

5. Proving inadequate information in filing claims. In my case they told me I would never get more than 10%. Hello. I got 10% using them. Then using myself I went to 30%,50%, then finally 70%. Thank you everyone here. They send me member ship forms every month. I rather donate to the homeless then to them.

• HadIt.com Elder

DAV tried to discourage me from filing an appeal for TDIU that was denied. Using DAV as my POA I got 70%. I got the IMO's and filed the TDIU forms. I got information from Hadit. DAV just took the credit from my 70%. I stopped using them after I sent in NOD/DRO Hearing request for my TDIU. VFW once appealed my claim stating my real problem was I was a personality disorder....I lost, of course. This was way before Hadit. American Legion was OK at paper holding, but no strategic thinking or planning to win my claim. You give them what you have and they run or crawl with it. What a vet needs as a POA is someone who understands where the vet wants to go and helps them devise a plan to get there. It is like a chess match. Your POA should help you set up the board and make the moves to checkmate the VA.

As a lot of the members are stating, the representatives for the different Veteran Organizations can vary like night and day. I started with a local county officer and didn't feel I was getting anywhere. I then took my paperwork to the local DAV and had the officer look it over. He took a Red Pen and wrote all over it in large letters, "He can't work!" He handed it back to me and told me to mail it in to the local RO. He said that he expected me to join the local DAV if my claim was successful. I told him that I would. I took my paperwork home, replaced the sheet he had written on, and mailed it. Two months later, it was approved for 100% TDIU, plus other issues. He had done nothing to help, but I joined the local DAV anyway. That was three years ago, and I have yet to hear from any member welcoming me to the chapter. I've recieved requests for donations on a regular basis, and after having it take over three months to cash my check; I won't donate again. Thanks to all that helped me learn how to file my own claim!