VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dav

Rate this question

vet2010

Question

I know this is not the right FORUM however I need to know. I am thinking of joining the DAV and I want to know the pros and cons of this organization before I become a member.

vet2010

I'm glad that's only your opinion PR. In VA's pocket? Anything to back that up, or again is that your opinion?

The DAV has always assisted veterans when they need help. They provide a quarterly news letter that has pending legislation concerning veterans. That way, this information can be reviewed and if the veteran feels a need to contact their elected representatives, they have an option.. Many DAV Chapters have a benevolence fund. We grow this fund by having 2-3 fundraising programs a year. The money raised goes back to those veterans in the area that the money was raised. Our Chapter granted over $10,000.00 last year. This money went to veterans that needed help with food, clothing, utility bills, rent and in one case, the chapter purchased a WWII veteran 4 tires for his vehicle. I could go on and on, but if your looking for an veterans organization that gives back to it's veterans, the DAV would be a wise choice.

Edited by meghp0405

• HadIt.com Elder

I am a life member of DAV. I asked for my money back. If you are counting on VSO's to win claims for you then it is a waste of money. If you just want to join to socialize or go to the local VFW or AL to get drunk they are fine.

I feel that alot of the VSO/NSO's feel like they are helping, but sometimes they hurt the claim by not following up on anything. Of coarse there some good ones, but the ineffective ones are more numerous. I personally like my AL VSO, but he is an un-paid volunteer who only shows up on Friday at the local Vet center. He recently retired from the Navy and is busy pursuing his college degree. Guess what gets his priorities are?

I took over my own claim and feel like I'm in charge now. If I submit anything I send copies to the AL VSO's at the Seattle RO. That way if they ever can back me up they will have them.

I belong to the AL and do enjoy showing up for muster once in a while. Who knows, I might be having a brewski with A VSO.

• HadIt.com Elder

They have a lot of good member benefits like the Ford X plan and Motel and rental car discounts. Check out the American legion also. They sell Alcohol so you can join, walk in with a certain swagger and out with a certain stagger.

If this is for claims assistance, Choose wisely if not you may regret it. I have started referring the Kentiucky guys I know to Fort Knox. I have heard they have a VSO there who is hell on wheels.

J

Don't do it. They are no good. They never call back, never answer their phones, and when they do answer the phone they don't know anything.

Waste of time, pease don't waste yours.