Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dav

Rate this question

vet2010

Question

I know this is not the right FORUM however I need to know. I am thinking of joining the DAV and I want to know the pros and cons of this organization before I become a member.

vet2010

• HadIt.com Elder

It can really depend on the area. I know some guys/gals who despise them all. I have been a life member of AMVETS, DAV and VFW for 2 decades. When I went through the claims hell the DAV went to bat for me hard though I did 50% of the real foot work myself. Talk to folks in your area and see what they say. Just as with each VARO and VAMC they can be rather different.

In my case I don't understand why they solicited me to get a DAV SO when I asked a question on line.

They were obviously too busy to help me. I never received an answer to any of my phone calls or emails after I

was assigned a vso to my case. Why offer help if you are too busy to give it? Seems like a simple straight

forward concept to me. Its kind of like reserving a hotel room or flight & showing up to find its full & not available.

Bob K

My experience with the DAV was positive. I am a Gulf War veteran from the 1st gulf war. When I came home and applied for SC (on my own) I received a 0% rating for numerous issues in 1993. Forward 2003 after returning from a OIF reserve deployment the Pensacola DAV Service Officer filed a claim for me which resulted in an initial award of 40%, and was increased to 60% before I movred to Reno, NV. While in Reno, the DAV Service Officer I worked with and assisted me in filing new claims that resulted in me receiving 100% P&T scheduler rating.

I always did my own research and provided my findings to my DAV rep. We worked together and my results were positive for me. I am now a life member with the DAV. I enjoy their magazine and believe that if I need representation from a VSO that they are there for me.

I think I have had them all. I am with DAV right now and I have not figured out my VSO just yet. Sometimes she good, and other times she seem preoccupied with something else. My old VSO either quit, transferred, or was fired. He did not let anyone know or send out any letters saying otherwise, so maybe he didn't he was leaving either. Honestly, I have learned more on this website than from any VSO. Listen to these guys, and keep your VSO informed. You are the only one that can help yourself first.

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm not particularly happy with any of the "service organizations". Having said that, veterans need all the help that they can get when it comes to dealing with the VA.

In my area, the DAV is moribund. The American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars are much more active.

The service organizations seem to take the general attitude in dealing with the VA that dealing with the system as it is now is the way to go.

Lawyers tend to look at claims with an eye to how did the VA screw this one up.

(An oversimplification, but the general idea is there.)