VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Exam For Arthritis - Do I Stop Medication To Prove The Severity?

Rate this question

justrluk

Question

So in my remand, the VLJ wanted a more recent C&P for arthritis. He also stated that this should be during a flare-up of the condition to see the full extent of the claimed disability. My question for my brothers and sisters out there is this: has anyone STOPPED taking medication for a condition so the C&P shows the extent of the condition? If not or if so, why?

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

They are supposed to take into consideration medication that is prescribed for your condition.

Pete,

I really hope they do. It's been so many years and I really need this to be decided.

I've never read a C&P exam in the past years of any C&P Examiner taking any medication into consideration. The best thing to do is be honest and if you have to bend then you bend to the point you feel pain. That is what a ROM is about.

r- Thanks for the feedback. The 3 meds I take make the condition somewhat stable, though I still have flare-ups. Without the meds, can't make it through the parking lot to get to my office. When the VA stopped the humira (had to reschedule a rheum appointment), it took months to get back on the treatment. During that time, it was awful. Most joints swelled and I had to take a lot of ibuprophen to function. I'll see the rheum in July and am reviewing her notes to see if she mentioned this last year. Either way, I'll try to give the examiner the most realistic picture I can.

This is a good question. Most Vet advocates recommend they report to their C and P physician their symptoms on their worst day, not the symptoms on the best day.

Many medical conditions "wax and wane" in severity, being less severe some days than others both with and without meds.

Here is the way I would do it. Begin when the doc asks you, "How are you?"

"On Tuesday of last week, I could not move my knee past (this position or ROM). Last Friday was actually worse, when I was in such great pain that I had to stay in bed, and could move my knee almost nil, and even had to call my wife to reposition."

Don't exaggerate or lie, but do tell how bad it was on your "worst" day, that is, with or without meds. You can even write down your symptoms so as to recall them all.

Bronco,

Thanks for the info and I will make sure to add to my daily journal (aches and pains journal).