Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

$63,000 In Retro (No Bbe Yet)

Rate this topic

tonio

I sure can relate to that. EMOTIONS!

It is even possible to get a little depressed when we realize we have won the battle.

I found myself even still searching for more evidence AFTER my award letter got here sometimes......

Hard to put down the weapons and relax......

Tonio , The VA main web site has lots of info on the types of Life insurance available to vets

:

http://www.insurance.va.gov/gli/buying/sdvi.htm

SSDI needs to know of your VA rating ,if you are getting SSDI now and meet their eligibility criteria.

http://www.ssa.gov/

Lots of info there on how Medicare works.

Tricare ????

Do you mean the VA health and medical benefits for your wife and the kids?????

If the award says DEA (Chapter 35) educational bennies have been awarded to the spouse and kids, then they are also eligible for CHAMPVA.

Civilian Health And Medical Program-VA.

I got a separate notice from VA as to my potential CHAMPVA eligibility when I received a posthumous 100% P & T SC award letter for his PTSD years ago. The award packet also included the DEA Educational apps for me and my daughter.

The VARO does not determine CHAMPVA eligibility.That is why the letter said 'potential;'/ I have it and it is a Wonderful Benefit! It kicks in after Medicare pays, and my annual co pay is very small.

They have a wonderful web site where the initial CHAMPVA application is.

:

http://www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/champva/champva.asp

I think 99.9 of all dependents getting DEA eligibility are eligible for CHAMPVA.There might be some reason some aren't so VA doesnt send the CHAMPVA app with 100% P & T awards.

Berta you hit the nail on the head in that situation exactly. I have been fighting with the VA for 19+ years so I am having a hard time indeed on dropping my guard or putting the weapons away as you stated earlier I find myself weary of the unknown at this point but I was reading over some old posts of ours and I am going to take some advice given earlier and pick up a hobby that I can throw myself into blush.png

I have had SSDI since 2006 Berta, Should I still update them on my percentage change and status ?

The insurance keeps throwing me off because the VA is offering me two types since the Award, It kind of confused me a bit.

Yes I was talking about the Medical for my dependents ( The award mentions DEA Chap 35 Benefits along with a Pamphlet in my award ) I will continue learn as much as I can about CHAMPVA and all other Benefits i'm able to apply for at this point. I am glad that you've been here all these years along with T-Bird & Pete Helping Guide us all. I would have been a lost cause had it not been for "hadit" seriously So again Thank You from my spirits. These messages from you really helped me out this morning !!!! happy.pngsmile.png

I don't think you would need to change anything at all re: the SSDI Tonio...as I understand it, Medicare kicks in for the SSDI recipient to purchase, after being on SSDI for 2 years.....but I am not sure pn that.

Everyone here helps...even if they just ask a question because it might get the answer a guest reader is looking for too.

Yes A Hobby can do wonders for all of us who deal with the VA.

And PLEASE dont leave us because you have so much to offer others here too.

19 years plus, gave you a vast education on the VA claims process!

"VA is offering me two types since the Award"

I think SDVL might be the better benefit ( and maybe less cost or be free) then regular VGLI.

My husband had VGLI and was only 30% in his lifetime and had to convert to private life insurance after a certain time frame (maybe 20 years after his discharge)

When VA finally awarded his 100% P & T he had already been dead for 3 years, so no SDLI for him .

Others will chime in here I am sure , who actually know what insurance would be best for you.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

SDVL was better. Plus, the VA will wave (if you apply) the premium.

Champ VA is another perhaps more complex issue.

With "ObamaCare" introducing some unknowns, it may be better to go ahead with it.

My problem is that few doctors in my area will accept Champ VA, due to late payment and general issues..

Tonio,

I fully understand your tension after receiving your rating. I've been 100% for almost 5 years, and still there are days that I wake up thinking it's all a dream and I'll wake up and not have it. You mentioned ChampVA.....I'll try to help fill you in a little on it. It pays 75% of the charge in most cases with a $50 single deductible and a $100 Family deductible per year. If you have other insurance, I believe it pays whatever your other doesn't pay after the annual deductible. There are several supplemental plans available for reasonable rates that pretty much cover whatever ChampVA doesn't cover. My wife retired about two years ago and had a choice of keeping her insurance at the time for almost $500 a month, or use a supplemental. We picked one thru AMRA (American Military Retirees Association), and it has worked out fine for us. You have to join the AMRA in order to get the supplemental insurance, and they have different rates for a lifetime membership, depending on your age. The rates for the supplemental insurance varies depending on the spouses age, starting at $27 a month for under 40 years old, up to $64 a month for ages 60-64. (Those rates may not be exact because I think my wifes rates went to about $75 a month this past January and she's 62).The supplemental insurance has a single deductible of $250 and a family annual deductible of $500. Those rates are off the AMRA site and may have changed a little. Once your wife hits Medicare age, it would become her primary insurance and ChampVA would become the secondary after the annual deductible was met. The AMRA supplemental wouldn't be required after turning 65. My wife and I are very happy with the ChampVA program. In a way, it's better than what the veteran has; a veteran has to go to the VA in most cases, and ChampVA allows the covered person to go to any doctor that accepts Medicare. The drug program is fairly decent, also. On Maintenance type drugs, they are available for free via mail-order. My wife's doctors just file with ChampVA and the supplemental at the same time, and we haven't had any issues with it. If any of this is incorrect, hopefully Bertha, or somebody will step in and help. Thanks again for your service and best of luck to you and your family.

Chuck

Edited by buckeye46

Thanks Berta I am going to keep focused and pushing forward your advice is appreciated smile.png @Chuck75 I was thinking something along those lines I have been just researching it as best I could before I signed up for anything pertaining to insurances thank you for that. @Buckeye46 I don't know how to shut off my thoughts you know ? Being inside your own head can be a lonely and very worrisome situation. Thank you for the information on the supplemental plans I will definitely look this up and do my research before I make that next move. I really think the AMRA is an absolute wonderful plan !!! I really appreciate the words and positive directions and wisdom passed along for us all. Thank you and continue to be the blessings that you all are. wub.png

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use