VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Exactly Do Service Officer Do For Vets?

Rate this question

63SIERRA

Question

I am trying to find out what exactly the system is, that the service officers do/ Ok for instance. My claim is at the waco va, on re open.

The service officer is in the same building with the va. Somewhere in the va, lies my claim. I know my service officer has access to my c-file, because he has my power of retardee. So now what. I was told there are 15 service officers in waco for my service org. I would imagine they are assigned cases, based on whatever, such as complicated, or simple based on thier experience.

Im just trying to picture what is actually going on,. Im envisioning a service rep sitting at a desk in his office., And im envisioning the va personell on thier side of the building, , doing whatever it is they do. So what happens, does the Service officer basically wait around until the time comes that my case Is actively being worked by the ro, then get engaged and work with them to try and improve my position, or are they working on my case on thier own and doing research and confering amongst themselves, as to how best move forward.

ANYBODY KNOW?

Some letters I get from the service org say that my claim is with the " appeals team". So that sounds like people who would know what to do at that level.

When asking my service org how things work, they are very limited in what they will say. its very need to know type dialogue. real generic answers.

Im not trying to be critical but I just dont ;like following anyone but Jesus in blind faith., I dont think knowing how the process works is too much to ask.

There are a lot of older elderly vets in this area that should have a higher percentage but don't because they dont have access to the internet and wouldn't know how to use it if they did. They do things the only way they know how and thats through organizations. If workers really cared they would help more.

• HadIt.com Elder

It's all part of the VA's system. For decades they've advised us to use VSO's, they've trained. Would you take training from the enemy on how to beat the enemy?? That's basically what's been done. They fought us getting to use lawyers. Why would they do that?? They get paid win or lose. Lawyers mostly get paid based on winning. No win, no pay!

I took the same course Berta did, yrs ago. I was somewhat disappointed in it but then I saw the VA's training manual, for VSO's. If I recall correctly it's written by the DAV and taught to all VSO's, in all the orgs. Very basic. VSO's get literally no training except, maybe, how to fill out forms and they don't do that well. Average VSO claim filed looks something this: "Veteran claims hearing loss he feels happened whiled he was in the Army/Navy/Marines/etc.. Please handle his claim quickly. Thanks,

John Doe,

VSO, National Service Org."

jmo

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers

• HadIt.com Elder

A few yrs back I considered becoming a VVA VSO. I attended a National VVA conference and took a seminar, while there, for VVA VSO's. What a disappointment!!!!!!!!!!!! It turned me against any idea of being a VSO. I had previously thought they were better than most, but at the seminar I learned they were just as bad as the others.

I did walk away knowing that I knew more than anyone there regarding "claims." I now feel anyone who can read and is of average intelligence and has the LexisNexis Veterans Benefits Manual (VBM) can win most claims but they should get help if they need to go to the court. jmo

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

My VSO's opposed my asking for increases every time I talked to them. They told me I was lucky to have 30%. When I got 70% my DAV VSO advised me not to appeal for TDIU. When I got TDIU I was asked for money for DAV help. Since I got TDIU I have filed 7 other claims mostly CUE and AO claims. I have never used VSO's, and I won all the claims because I had the evidence. I have one CUE that is with my lawyer now waiting on a decision at CAVC. I took NVLSP training and found it to be so basic it was almost worthless. These are the guys who are learning OJT on your claim.....not good.

There are VSO's who post here and I exclude them from my remarks.

When I first filed in 2003 I joined the DAV for life. I felt I needed too. After a few years of appeals, I spoke with a SO on the state level. He told me to drop it and talk to my congressman. When I disagreed he started cussing at me. I complained to Headquarters in DC for DAV. Later I was told the SO was no longer there. Anyway my lawyer has won the claim at the court level. Now waiting on appeal.

vet12

And they don't just sit around on their side of the building. They often travel (collecting mileage) to their chapters, in their state, where they also spread VA misinformation and sign up more vets to get screwed by signing POA's, while having beers/cocktails, w/their cohorts and getting their photos, in the local newspapers.

They also play golf w/some of the VA employees, weekly or so, taking days off from the office. Actually, thinking about it, I think they could be congressional wannabees.

pr, I totally agree but you forgot that they love to have office lunches and holiday parties with their VA buddies. Besides their pay checks, I wonder what other kick backs they get.