Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

New Here, First Time Questions

Rate this question

DDuck

Question

Sorry I just found this forum, I sympathize with so many of you. So a little background I was med boarded out in '98 at 20%. I was very upset, I suffered a AGE (Air Gas Embolus) from a diving mishap upon successfully removing a distressed diver (I was 2nd Class Diver at the time). I suffered photosensitivity and migraines after a TT6 with two extensions. I was told to suck it up or lose my pin, so I did.

Later in the middle of Phase I EOD training a DUI driver drilled me going about 60-80 mph the cop estimated. Being young and stupid I sucked it up and went back into training for a week until I was urinating blood and my left leg went numb. Later they found a undiagnosed bone spur that shredded my urethra and I have to self cath to this day. (NEW add as of today 2/12/2014) My Creatine levels are 1.38 so the doctors think I may just be starting very early stage kidney failure. They are going to test monthly to see if it stablizes.

A year ago they re-evaluated me at 80% my breakdown is:

Right hip injury/pain (was dislocated in the accident) 10%

Neuropathy of right foot 10%

Urethral stricture and Bladder neck contracture/stricture 60%

DDD L4-L5 and L5-S1 (two surgeries) 10%

Vascular migraine 10%

Tinnitus 10%

My question is my upper back is starting to obtain a moderate curve and is starting to cause breathing problems and shoulder pain (which I have been complaining to the VA about).

How would I try to process this? Attached to a pre-existing back condition or as a separate claim?

Also starting this last year I have been on HCTZ for high blood pressure (over a year of 164+/100+) due to chronic pain my doc figured. Is it to much of a pain to fight for that (not overweight no family history of HBP)?

Last question is I have had flat feet since I was released (no records indicate this that I can find) but my QTC doc stated that with my training and job that I should put in for it, I have been out for 15 years, or is it too much hassle. I am really not able to jump through too many more hoops, I feel like I will choke a doctor out. I have spent my life since age 25 dealing with this and mentally I am shot at 42 now. I have held jobs up until five years ago, the pain/stress have been so bad my wife said I needed to quit or get a divorce. So I quit.

I apologize for the format and the shotgun style questions but I have received no help of significance from the Legion or the DAV.

Regards,

Dan

Edited by DDuck

First to Gator thanks for your posts.

Tons of new infomation I was introduced to me by my Nephrologist, and Urologist both of whom worked in the VA system.

Turns out I might not need it as of yet. I checked Ebennies a few hours ago and it states my claim has been closed. I went to the documentation section and check the letters under benefit summary:

You have one or more service-connected disabilities: Yes

Your combined service-connected evaluation is: 90%

Your current monthly award amount is: 3213.49

The effective date of the last change to your current award was: December, 01 2012

You are being paid at the 100 percent rate because you are unemployable due to your service-connected disabilities: Yes

You are considered to be totally and permanently disabled due to your service-connected disabilities: Yes

So unless they screwed up looks like my claim was given UI status.

I do not know if I am going to submit my kidney failure anytime soon as this has really taxed me in the emotional angry section of my being. I am currently seeing a two different VA pyschs both of whom have helped a great amount with dealing with my problems and being pretty compassionate about this process and my odyssey.

I will wait to post on the good news board until my BBE arrives but seems like this is a good sign. I do not know the difference between 100 schedular and UI from what I read in the past information is conflicting. If anyone has any insight into that, it would be helpful. If it is posted else where I can find it later after I get my conformation.

If this is a good conformation, over the next few months I will start to be more active to help others where I can.

This sounds great!

The BBE will tell more.

It does sound like TDIU P & T! That P & T is Golden!

Your dependents will get CHAMPVA and Chapter 35 eligibility.

"I do not know if I am going to submit my kidney failure anytime soon as this has really taxed me in the emotional angry section of my being. I am currently seeing a two different VA pyschs both of whom have helped a great amount with dealing with my problems and being pretty compassionate about this process and my odyssey."

I agree with what GatorNavy said here in April:

"I think it's time to put all of the cards on the table and play your hand. I would get the kidney disease filed pronto. Also file for the TBI/PTSD or secondary mental condition."

But I sure know how miserable the claims process can be and didnt even want to file a claim in 2003 until my daughter insisted I do that, for many months. She even wanted to get home (was in the Mil) to help me go over the med recs but I didnt want to even look at those records or my files on the past claims.

Glad I finally took her advise.. The DMII 2003 Claim award trumped my wrongful death by VA award and they finally rated and paid for my deceased husband's 1151 stroke, almost 20 years after his death.,under 2 more claims I filed around the same time. Lots popped out at me when I finally went through all the records again in 2003.

This DMII claim was the only claim I ever had that truly gave my husband's death the honor he deserved (direct SC death) and it finally gave me Peace of Mind.

Take some time to try to relax and enjoy your victory but every vet should certainly claim anything that could lend to eventual SMC comp or, hate to say this, but claim anything that could potentially lead to their death., if they have dependents.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Congrats Bro! I'm really happy for you and your family! :smile:

Berta gives you some sage advice.

From Jim Strickland's Site:

http://statesidelegal.org/difference-benefits-100-schedular-disabled-veteran-vs-100-tdiu-disabled

Some very knowledgeable people here at Hadit may chime in here

Berta thank you for all your efforts.

Yes my wife echoed this statement many times, and I will file for the Kidneys and Hypertension both are intertwined. My doctors tell me its a matter of time there is no doubt, and while this may not cause my death in the near future it will be a major factor when I do die. So I understand Gator and your advice, it strikes a deep chord.

This process is so..... I do not really know how to express it other than it is a constant reminder of what I cannot do; and how impacted my life is by these conditions. I constantly have to refuse to allow these conditions to define me. But this process forces me to define them into my life. It may sound silly but that is my biggest problem with this process. Every appointment thru the VA forces me to start a point A and wants me to hand walk them to point Z even though over 15 years of medical records are in their face. Regardless of this they want me to state every detail as if it is of the upmost importance, do they understand recounting these moments are so raw. Raw in the what was taken, not HOW it was taken I do not fear death but I dread these appointments.

Sorry about the rant I was going to delete it but hopefully someone will read it and understand there are others in this fun house that understands the rollercoaster.

Again thanks and I do feel much better (not by this rating) talking it out and urge any other vets to go and ask for a psych appt (at the VA) if for no other reason than to talk to someone about feelings you can't will not express at home.

We are always here for you. God Bless and good luck

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

It is difficult to deal with when you have so many appointments and you are doing internet research to find out what all of the tests and the test results mean. Then all of your energy is geared toward what is wrong with you. Find a way to shave back on those appointments and get involved with something you really want to do. Your stress level will go down. As long as you can get enough sleep and manage the pain. You may surprise yourself with what you can do and how much you enjoy life. The kids grow up so quick, that time is golden. It's not easy to do and the VA sure doesn't make it easy.