VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

P & T Unemployability

Rate this question

Ralph1950

Question

I was awarded 70% PTSD, 10% Tinnitus, and P&T Unemployability June 2013. A couple days ago I get a VA Form 21-4140 (Employment Questionaire ) from the RO.

I did do some part time work last year which amounted to around $4000.00 total. I did this to help supplement my disability income so as to help pay the debtors . I did the work on the up and up and claimed the income on the IRS grab ("Render unto Caesar.......), so as not to get in any trouble with them.

Do I have anything to worry about? My wife says I should just quit locating and doing odd jobs. I don't want to jeopardy losing the benefit as it does help me to keep the wolves at bay.

Anxiously awaiting your advise.

Ralph

Just think about what that means to some VA employee. Total is Total.

I agree with what John999 said. Now, unfortunately you have to wait for VA to respond to your employment questionnaire. Also keep in mind that you could file for SSDI if you have not already.

One thing to remember - friends, family and neighbors don't like that you're being compensated, for not working, and will turn you in, in a New York minute.

I also agree with PR. Unfortunatley this is very sad true.

FYI-- you are not required by IRS to file a tax return at all unless you earn $10,000 during the year. The va uses the info they get from the IRS filing to try to ding you.

It's nice you are trying to help get your family out of debt, but please be careful.

A quick look at the IRS website will tell you when to file or not.

• HadIt.com Elder

Philip Rogers, That comment about "Greed" really stung. I am not greedy, I was just trying to benefit my family by trying to get out of debt (which was exerbated by my inability to maintain work because of my PTSD.) earlier .

Ralph - I'm sorry if you take offense w/my statement but roughly $3k a month for not working is a fairly good income and being paid for not working and then working is wrong. I know it's difficult but one just needs to live within their means and not overspend. jmo

pr

I've done a lot of research on TDIU over the past 3 yrs. Just awarded TDIU at DRO Hearing 6/27/14. My problem was self employment income. But that's another story.

You could have earned income, in any given year that is below the Federal Poverty Level for 1 person (aprox 12,000) this year, and you would still be consider as not being "Gainfully Employed." If you read the IU Regs in 38 CFR 4?, you'll see that once IU has been granted, less than "Gainful Employment" will not affect your status. With that said, if all of a sudden your earning in excess of poverty level, that won't automatically trigger a reduction. You get to continue receiving IU for 12 months. If after that period, your still bringing in more than the allowed income, you could be up for a reduction back to your pre-IU SC rating. The reduction isn't automatic and it doesn't happen over-nite. Depending what your SC rating was, you would have to pull in $20K+, to make up for the tax free IU Comp $. I don't that would be a tuff decision. Sleep easy, your 4K is nothing as far as the VA is concerned. Just be very sure that you are extremely accurate on any financial document that you sign and send into the VA. They compare notes with IRS and SS Administration.

Semper Fi

Gastone

Ralph: Sorry, I didn't read some of the other replys, especially regarding "Greed". As I said, I was just awarded TDIU at a DRO Hearing 6/27. Hopefully, what I'm about to say will clear up some misunderstanding regarding VA IU.

IU is for the SC Vet that is unable, due to SC conditions, to earn in excess of Poverty Level income for 1 person. The DRO hearing officer commended me for attempting to continue working, even though I've been at 90% since 2010. So don't worry about your neighbors turning you in, frack them, their jealous. Just keep your eye on your net earned income. The VA would love to see you start pulling down 25K+. When you got your IU award, there was info and an application for VA Vocational Rehab. If you aren't familiar with VocRehab, send me a note. It can help you maintain your IU status, and there are some very interesting "Independent Living" benefits available for SC Vets, IU or not.