Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Social Security To Expedite Veteran Disability Claims

Rate this question

pacmanx1

Question

The Social Security Administration plans to streamline its review of disability claims for veterans starting next month, shaving weeks off the process by which it determines benefits, officials are set to announce Wednesday.

The Woodlawn-based agency says it will expedite claims for former service members who already have been deemed fully disabled by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, alleviating a bureaucratic nightmare for veterans who sometimes waited years to get a decision about their eligibility for benefits.

Carolyn W. Colvin, the acting commissioner of Social Security, is set to announce the policy change in Baltimore. The move would add disabled veterans to the list of high-priority groups — including service members wounded in combat — that are put at the head of the line for review.

"It's a very good result for veterans who obviously made a tremendous commitment to their country," said Rep. John Sarbanes, a Baltimore County Democrat who has pushed for the quicker review. "They're returning from overseas conflicts and they've suffered injuries that make it impossible for them to have gainful employment."

It's not clear exactly how many people would be affected by the policy, but the Social Security Administration estimates it could be tens of thousands of veterans over time.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-veterans-ssa-20140218,0,3719630,print.story

I know this has been posted somewhere on hadit but I feel more eyes will see it here.

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

Pete, thanks for the info bud. My SSDI was granted in less than 10 weeks as my claim was submitted under the Wounded Warrior Program. If the SSA stands true to their words, I believe this will be a great improvement for Vets.

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

Something that hurts is that unknowingly people *myself included* are effected by PTSD or other issues and they don't seek help until they've been out of work too long to apply for SSDI.

I'm in this group for I didn't seek help until I hadn't worked enough to qualify. My DLI was 12/31/12 and didn't get diagnosed and such until 2014.

Something that hurts is that unknowingly people *myself included* are effected by PTSD or other issues and they don't seek help until they've been out of work too long to apply for SSDI.

I'm in this group for I didn't seek help until I hadn't worked enough to qualify. My DLI was 12/31/12 and didn't get diagnosed and such until 2014.

If you were discharged in 2012 and filed for SSDI in 2014 - I believe you would meet the criteria

for work quarters.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

I agree with Carlie, you may still qualify. You need to get something in writing from SSA and get a lawyer.