VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Personal Is The C+P?

Rate this question

Mikemmlj

Question

Next week I have an initial C+P for PTSD. Will Ihave to recount incidents in excruciating detail or are they looking more for symptoms and how they effect you?

Next week I have an initial C+P for PTSD. Will Ihave to recount incidents in excruciating detail or are they looking more for symptoms and how they effect you?

Yes, you will more likely than not need to discuss the stressor that resulted in your

diagnosis of PTSD and how PTSD effects your daily occupational and social functioning.

Don't try to "man-up" as some do during your C&P exam - tell it like it is.

This would be in your best interest.

jmho

Just go in there and be honest. The Doc will go thru a series of questions on a check list for PTSD. Tell the Doc who you are on your good days and your bad days. Be very detailed as to where you have been, and what you have been thru. Talk about your treatment thus far, and why you feel the PTSD has affected you enough, to be considered a disability. Good Luck, God Bless and keep us posted.

VA regulations require your PTSD C&P exam to be conducted by a VA Accredited (employee or contractor) Psychiatrist or PHD level Psychologist, with extensive experience diagnosing and treating PTSD.

With that said, most Vets I know that have attended a PTSD C&P, stumble in without a clue. That include me back in 2011, didn't get educated till long after C&P was completed. Started researching the VA regarding PTSD ratings. Stumbled on 38 CFR 4. Thought I was a lock on 30%SC and a strong possibility on 50%. My SC came back 70%SC! Note: exam took about 1 hour+, very personal in depth discussion of Nam combat stressors and how my current employment, financial and personal interactions with family and strangers had been affected. You must be prepared to open up, do not try to be what your not. The Dr must see you as you really are!! At the end of my exam, I asked the VA Staff Psychiatrist, if I had PTSD, he said yes but didn't offer a degree of severity. Remember that the examiner can only complete the PTSD Disability Questionnaire based on your medical records and your interview responses to the questions asked. If you have existing PTSD medical records, (Private Dr or VA,) at some point you should ask if they have been reviewed. How you present yourself has a great impact on you Diagnosis.

Sooooooo, I recommend you spend some time with 38 CFR 4. Look up on Google, info regarding PTSD DBQ and "The VA Clinicians guide for conducting PTSD C&P EXAM." BE PREPARED! And about a week after your C&P, go to the VA Hospital records dept and request a copy of your PTSD C&P exam including all clinicians notes. These docs will tell you ye or nee. You should be able to get close to your PTSD SC rating, even though I was way off on mine. Good Luck!

Semper Fi

Gastone

They'll also note your body language, eye contact or lack of it, tone of voice, things you won't necessarily be consciously aware of when you focus on discussing your stressors. You'll be asked about work history, ability to maintain friendships, and if your spouse if there is one is allowed in the room with you (I was), the spouse may be asked questions, too. (I was).

• HadIt.com Elder

They look at the way your dress and personal habits. Eye contact is something they always comment on and your orientation (time, place, date). If you start to cry during the exam all the better.