VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Feeling Guilty

Rate this topic

toyotafan

Again, thank you all so much!

The members of this forum are incredibly supportive for all veterans. I guess my feelings come out of sense that there are a lot of veterans who are in much worse shape than me. Most of my injuries were the result of doing some PT. But, I often feel like if I wasn't in the military I would still be doing the exact same job, and so why do these conditions warrant compensation? In the end, this doesn't seem like a typical disability insurance policy to me in that for the most part, if you can continue to work, your disability pay is reduced by the income you make. Clearly, this is different, because I'm doing just fine from a financial standpoint, and still get the pay.

I don't want to sound conceited on an internet forum, and hope I'm not coming across as much. I guess we're all in the same boat in a way. I hope others fair as well in their disability claim process as I did.

Without those in the back, the people in the front couldn't accomplish their mission. People in BCT or AIT can get 10-20% for life and technically never get to serve. If you get hurt as a result of working, civilian or military, you are suppose to be compensated. Your pay is for the scars of your service to this country, less than 1% of us do it, so never, ever feel guilty.

toyotafan I felt the sameway as you did. I got out in 96 after 10 years 2 months and I didn't want the "handout"...Yep thats what I thought it was and I felt guilty that caused me to think that. Now that this mess in my spine has gotten worse I've realized its not a handout but a benefit. Then I realized we signed a contract and within all the policies and laws that contract is held liable to any injuries and/or diseases and other things that incur in service. Its not a handout and dont ever feel guilty. You earned it.

Congrats.

I'm a combat veteran and 80% of my 90% SC connected injury occurred during non combat training. I always feel pain,and today(like every month) the Government compensated me for my on going never ending suffering. I felt guilty at first, but I figured that this is what I deserve for a lifetime of pain. I actually deserve more money, so I picked up a lawyer. Don't feel guilty, cause the VA will do there best to take back that "guilty" money.

Edited by marine0816

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use