Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu Pt 90% And Sheltered Employment At The Va As Medical Records Technician

Rate this question

Mingo

Question

OK long story

I am 90 SC% I was awarded TDIU in 2009 5 years ago. I was just recently awarded SC for a severe stroke that I suffered on active duty but was not diagnosed as such until 2010. The VA has lumped the Stroke in with my Sarcoidosis SC from being in Desert Storm the VA says that I do not have any symptoms from the stroke though I do, with dizziness, vertigo, some sort of seizures, anxiety, depression, forgetting, word searching,sometimes misspronounce words ect ect. bad tinnitus which I have 20% SC and have been told I have PTSD from military experiences by VA psychiatrists and am on Prazosin, Propranolo. Trazodone..but they keep denying SC for PTSD but anyway my point is I have residuals from a stroke but the VA c/p wil not give me credit.

I was declared disabled by SSA in 2010 diagnosed with cognitive disorder and other things...but the VA will not acknowledge any of the SSA diagnosisis

In the years following retiring from active duty I attended community college and with hard word and extra studying I completed an AAS Degree in Health Information Technology HIM and later pased the RHIT Exam. So, I was stuck in cleaveland ohio alone, divorced living like a hermit except for when I would go to the bars and drink several times a week. I was divorced from my Cental American Wife in 2008 due to PTSD and sleep disorders, I accidentally struck her with my elbow while I was having one of my nightly nightmares....I was deploying constantly to all parts of the world constantly. In my 40s I found myself totally and completely alone passing holidays, birthdays, summers, alone litterally not having any contact with other human beings except for people in the bars and Mexican restaurants so, I had to do something. I could no longer perform the work I did while on active duty due to problems with past back surgery, 2 herniated discs in my neck and a limp from sciatica..

So, I applied for a job at the VA as a Medical Coder reading electronic health records seated at computer all day which is sedentary, no lifting, but is hard on the back and neck....it is pretty high stress sitting at a very small cubicle on a productivy schedule.

I was hired at the VA in 2013 and I sent notice to the RO and was told I would have a 12 month trial period....during that time I suffered several severe anxiety attacks and was hospialized for a possible TIA/stroke. The environment at the VA is very dry, stressful and co workers are not nice almost seem like people from he movie Chidren of the Corn......many do not acknowlede fellow Veteran employees wih SC conditions and some even act as if they do not like Veterans working there....when I was still new some of my co-workers would not talk to me, I would ask questions about simple issues and would be totally ignored......so, not a warm place to work at all. But I needed to do something wih my life other than drinking in dark, gloomy bars all day.

During this time I had a C/p Claim in progress and it was completed this past August I was awarded SC for my stroke but it was combined with my already existing Sarcoidis SC diagnosis so no change in that raing I was also awarded 30 % increased for radiculopathy from neck/arms but my overalll combined rating remained at 90%.

The statement says "Your monthly benefit payment amount will continue unchanged" which I recieve amount for 100% TDIU P/T since 2009. The VA said in the SOC that they reviewed all of my statements that I sent about my TDIU but makes no mention of that issue. only that "Your monthly benefit payment amount will continue unchanged" It is possible that I am working in a Sheltered Environment. My case workload at work is adjusted due to me I belive not being able to concenrate, I have severe tinnitus and it is hard for me to read and focus especially if here is any noise from the disruptive employees.

I sent a question to the VA last week via IRIS in regards to my TDIU but have not heard back.

Edited by Mingo

MINGO: It appears that you just got possible "gainful employment" with the VA sometime in 2013. What was the primary issue/s that got you the TDIU Award?

I just recently got my IU award on appeal at a DRO Informal Hearing 06/27/14. 3 SC issues, 70,50 and 30. My past 3 years of research indicate that the VA gives you (12) months after you obtain "Gainful Employment" to maintain said employment. If you maintain the employment and earn in excess of current US Poverty level for 1 person, approximately $12K or so, watch out for the Knife. It might be cutting time. What does your VSO Rep advise? You can always appeal a cut, but why would you want to put yourself through that? Be proactive, get educated on your TDIU Award. Don't trip on your Jon---, copy that?

Semper Fi

Gastone

Marginal or Protected Employment/Sheltered Employment: The work I do could not be more sedentary than sitting and reading a computer screen, if that were not true just sitting at home surfing the internet would the same as that....or sitting and watching TV or playing video games all day could be just as strenous as reading electronic medical records. There is one example of Sheltered Employment of working on a family farm....I do not have family with a farm.

I have to get up and stretch a few times per hour due to neck, back, leg pain. My requirements have been adjusted for my condtions I suffered a severe stroke on active duty and I have constant, severe tinnitus and cognitive disorder.. I have a constant high pitch noise in both ears that really makes it hard to read and focus and my work does not allow for any mistakes and I am on a productivity schedule. Sometimes when I write with a pen/pencil I spell words backwards or begin with the second letter in a work. I can be looking at something right in front of my face on a comper screen or in a book and not see what I am looking for so it takes me longer to read and process sometimes.

Question is without having any family what other setting for disabled veterans would be more appropriate than reading medical records for the VETERANS ADMINISTRATION as far as a sheltered environment isn't that kind of one of the funtcions of the VA to help veterans that is? Better to be doing something of value than be ruining my liver in a bar all day wich later would require more VA medical care, right?

Again: I have submitted all the required forms and written statements my case was just reviewed and finished Aug 24, 2014.

It is not possible to be more upfront about this than I am, I submitted a question last week via IRIS and am still awaiting a response.

Edited by Mingo

Upfront or not...unless its in writing that your in a sheltered work environment. ...your gonna get screwed and loose your tdiu.

You have to make a decision and very fast!

Do you want to get reduced back down to 90% and make 2k a month plus lets say 2k a month from your job for a total of 4k a month.....

Or do you wanna keep your tdiu and make 3k a month not working?

You gotta decide quick because once they see that you have been working for a year...they WILL cut your tdiu...

And jeeze your ssdi too.

Man your playing with fire!!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Why would you want VA to cancel your TDIU? In the first place? I am missing something here?

Are you trying to get 100% rating with your TDIU?& still work?...Um your rated at 90% but there paying you at 100% TDIU and told you that will not change....It will change if you continue to work.

that's what everyone is telling you...be glad to get what the VA gives you.

The person you mention that works as a county commissioner getting TDIU ...is luckly the VA ain't caught on to him.

If you work like everyone has mention that's a good way to lose it...VA checks with SSD if you pay FICA taxes...then they know your working obviously...

TDIU to me is a previlage that you earn from medical problems occured while in the service & that keeps you from working.

& if your getting 20% for tinnitus your the first veteran I know that gets that 20 %?

US vets that get it deserve it.(not saying you don't) I just hate to see a veteran lose what the VA gives him /her after we all struggle to get what we can get ...I Know I'm very blessed to get it.. I don't know what in the world I would have did without it. it came in handy for this family.

Edited by britton

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Here is the think you must decide.

IU means no work. It doesnt state partial work. The reason for IU is your disabilities keep you from working and if you can work, even sheltered is considered employment.

I have seen greed ruin a lot of vets.

Bottom line.

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.