VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Choice Cards

Rate this question

Berta

Question

About the Program

Many Veterans will now have the option to receive non-VA health care rather than waiting for a VA appointment or traveling to a VA facility.

Beginning November 5, 2014, the new Choice Program will begin to cover non-VA care for eligible Veterans enrolled in VA healthcare. Veterans are eligible if any of these situations apply to you:

You have been told by your local VA medical facility that you will need to wait more than 30 days from your preferred date or the date medically determined by your physician

Your current residence is more than 40 miles from the closest VA health care facility

You need to travel by plane or boat to the VA medical facility closest to your home

You face a geographic challenge, such as extensive distances around water or other geologic formations, such as mountains, which presents a significant travel hardship

More info at:

http://www.va.gov/opa/choiceact/

• HadIt.com Elder

All I can say is that, based upon recent experience, "Big Brother is watching"

seems to apply to how the area VARO handled the results of an email to "Bob".

I've never had faster VA action in the nine years I've had to deal with them.

Unfortunately, there are still things to fight about.

• HadIt.com Elder

I see many things to fight about. Why are only post 9/11 caregivers compensated. Are we Vietnam Era vets and First Gulf War vets crap on the VA's shoe? All vets should have choice about where they get care. I am sick to death of driving 25 miles to see some yoyo about PT. I only get to see my shrink once every ten weeks. I get no actual therapy just drugs. This is not psychiatric care on any acceptable level. Both dental and vision care I only got once every two years, so I was outsourced for at least the dental. I got an exam, but that is it so far. Soon I will have to drive to the VA 4 times a year just to get pain meds. I met some idiot old guy who had brain surgery at the VA. Who in their right mind would have brain surgery at the VA? This guy had insurance, and since he did not want to pay anything he let those ghouls operate on his tiny brain.

The VA should do a study on the sex lives of vets since they have been &^%$##$ them for decades.

John

I see many things to fight about. Why are only post 9/11 caregivers compensated. Are we Vietnam Era vets and First Gulf War vets crap on the VA's shoe? All vets should have choice about where they get care. I am sick to death of driving 25 miles to see some yoyo about PT. I only get to see my shrink once every ten weeks. I get no actual therapy just drugs. This is not psychiatric care on any acceptable level. Both dental and vision care I only got once every two years, so I was outsourced for at least the dental. I got an exam, but that is it so far. Soon I will have to drive to the VA 4 times a year just to get pain meds. I met some idiot old guy who had brain surgery at the VA. Who in their right mind would have brain surgery at the VA? This guy had insurance, and since he did not want to pay anything he let those ghouls operate on his tiny brain.

The VA should do a study on the sex lives of vets since they have been &^%$##$ them for decades.

John

That's why I like reading your posts John, you cut right to the chase.

• HadIt.com Elder

That's why I like reading your posts John, you cut right to the chase.

Money money money! is the answer to why the differences exist, plus a bit on the enlistment enticement side!

Always the green monster. I would like to disagree however, I can't, that is exactly how I perceive it to be as well. Heh it will work out I think. Persistence is the key and there are good medical professionals in the VA, there may not be many but those gems are out there.

arng11,

I know there are some good medical professionals at the VA but most veterans going to VAMCs are not receiving the best healthcare available as has been promised on many ocassions by numerous politicians. The only way for politicians to truly honor their promise is to give veterans full access to medical care in the private sector. JMO