Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help With Dilemma

Rate this question

diver

Question

Ok everyone here is my dilemma. As some of you have read in the Vocational rehabilitation forum I am slated to start school on April 7th and I have turned in notice to quit work on March 20th. I cannot take back my notice so I am going to be unemployed whether I want to or not. I was scolded by my VA rep for letting the schools VA counselor get the requested information. Unknown to me the VA vocational rehab councilor wanted me to do all of this without help. This caused me to stress out so much and made me so angry that I wanted to drop the training and forget about it. I have been told by many people that I should put in for TDUI. I am 50% for depression and 40% for lumbar strain. I kept refusing because I wanted to be able to work if I want to. After getting so angry and stressed about it I am second thinking the TDUI. With everything that I have said about leaving my job and voc rehab should I put in for the TDUI and SSDI?

Thank you

Diver

diver just curious I read that you are 40% for lumbar strain? Your case appears to be like mine in many ways. How long ago did you injured your back? You do know that with a high rating like that does how that lumbar strain will eventually turn into DDD or DJD or both like mine. I have more DJD than anything. A few years ago my lumbar gave out for no reason and now I live in a lot of lower extremity pain. The VA would not tell me why even though their EMG showed lower bilateral radiculopathy.

Finally after a few years I had enough of the VA and went to a private surgeon. Just last week he sat down with me and told me exactly why. I had herniated a disc in my lumbar spine that healed itself but it damaged my nerves permanently. I asked if they will heal and he said after 2 1/2 years they should have healed if they were going to heal, so he said NOPE. NOPE? Seriously!!! After he walked out I actually teared up in the room. But hey it is what it is.

If I was you I would try for TDIU and SSDI, I have both and well I can say I am doing a lot better now than before I was granted both. Yes you will get bored at home not working but look for projects to do around your house. Trust me I know, if you don't it will haunt you big time like it did me. This past summer in 2014 was one of the rainiest summers I can remember here in Florida. I was stuck in BED the whole summer because of the rain. Its like a bad dream when your in severe pain but you can't do anything and the meds I take doesn't touch it. Up late hours in the night to get myself so tired I have no choice but to go to sleep.

Trust me, TDIU and SSDI are good financially but you best prepare yourself and really find projects you can do.

BTW I never met anybody with 40% rating for a lumbar strain, lumbar DDD yes but not for lumbar strain. If its that bad you better prepare yourself for the Osteoarthritis (DJD). Trust me bud it doesn't play games with you.

With you the best and hope you get approved for both.

rpowell01 thank you for the reply. Yes I do have 40% lumbar strain and also I was diagnosed with DDD of L5 S1 with a 4mm bulge. I have been having problems with what feels like pulled muscles in both butt cheeks along with my left leg tingling and going numb. This was all diagnosed the week after my QTC exam. My claim for sciatica was denied because the QTC examiner stated that lumbar strain does not cause sciatica and that there is no diagnosis of sciatica. I am in the process of rectifying that by getting the drs to make a diagnosis instead of just treating the problem. They denied my hips for the same problem no diagnosis. As for how I screwed up my back was through my injured knees from over 20 years ago now. the VA gave me lumbar strain about 10 years ago now. I think the knees is what caused my back however the va does not have it as secondary so there must be something in my service records that indicates an injury or its presumed from being a medic and always carrying extra and lifting people.

Diver

Edited by diver

• HadIt.com Elder

What you don't want is to be jobless, and not have TDIU or 100%. You should not think too much about getting 100% or TDIU and somehow working. It will get you in a bind. Your age is a big factor in the real world. If you are over 50 you will probably be unemployable even if you get ten degrees from voc rehab. I got TDIU when I was 51. I had been approved for Voc Rehab when I was 30%, but I was 47 years old and I was making 50K a year at the USPS. I knew I could not make it to regular retirement. I had a secure job, but due to undiagnosed chronic pain issues, depression and job harassment I put in for disability retirement and all the rest. Actually, I waited too long and got fired. No money for six months!!!! When you get over 40 it gets much harder to start a career if you have a disability and you have two severe ones. The best job for disabled person is self employment, however, if you get TDIU that goes away as well. These are hard decisions any way you look at it.

John

I would get a second opinion on the lumbar strain, you likely have a bigger problem, especially that they rated you 40 for it. The va likes to put the wrong diagnostic codes on ailments to deny you care and manipulate data.

It has been one of the hardest decisions that I have ever done. I am 41 and 90% disabled. I am in pain daily from the chest down. I know that I will hurt much less if I have the ability to recover for a day or two after doing something. I am over wait and am unable to do much to lose the wait because by the time I get off work I am hurting so bad that I just want to go to bed. I try to not take my pain meds because I am too young to kill my kidneys and liver. I want to have a bit of a life before I just can’t do anything. I want to be able to take out my boat and fish every once in a while and fish off a river bank for salmon a few times a month. As of now I spend the weekends in bed just trying to heal so I can work the next week. I will not be working after 3/20 so I can go to voc-rehab and that will give me 18 months to try to get the SSDI then TDUI. If I get the SSDI I will be able to pay my bills so I can stay home and not work. I hate the thought of not working because of how young I am but I don’t think I have a choice. If I was able to stop working when I was only 60% I don’t think that I would be at the 90% I am at now. I don’t know if I will make it but I think that it is definitely worth trying. All I can do is try and see what will happen. thanks