Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do I Qualify

Rate this question

diver

Question

Hello everyone. I am looking at filing for SSDI and I don’t know what I am facing. I have herd lots of nightmares from it. I will be leaving work this month and starting voc rehab. I am unable to continue to do the work that I have been doing for 9 years. I am only 41 and here is my list of service connected problems.

Depression 50%
Lumbar strain 40%
Tinnitus 10%
Right ankle sprain 20%
Left ankle sprain 10%
Left knee instability 10%
Left knee chrondromalacia 10%
Right knee chrondromalacia 10%
Left knee limitation of extention 10%
Right knee limitation of extention 10%

What would be my odds. Again I know nothing about this. I was never planning on this until I have been told by many friends and family to do it.

Thanks for your thoughts and any pointers on how to do it

Diver

You might to get other parents together and get on a School Board meeting roster, to bring this up to the school board.( at a public meeting)and contact the press  too.

The gunny Sergeant might well be a disabled veteran. If the school falls under the ADA, he might be able to sue them.There might be other laws that protect non disabled veterans,within the school system.

Someone needs to get a hold of the school's hiring and termination policy.

I have a feeling there is more to this than meets the eye here.If you mean by NJROTC, that he is affiliated with the ROTC in some way, then as you know, some schools do not want ROTC coming into their schools at all. If you google:

"school guilty of discriminating against ROTC instructor" you will be surprised at what pops up.

This could be an internal bias from the school maybe based on some of these google news articles.

BUT before you do anything, you should meet with this teacher and some of the parents to see what the teacher wants to do. Since he is a Marine, I am 100% sure he had begun to formulate a plan of action himself.

There certainly should be, by googling, some discrimination lawyers in the Seattle area because, from what you posted , this does sound like bias and discrimination against this veteran.

"The school board had a close door meeting and made the determination to fire him. "

Check with your state laws....if Washington is a "Sunshine state", you can make a stink about that closed meeting.

Here is the Washington State Attorney General's site....

you might find what you need there:

http://www.atg.wa.gov/Open-Government-Training

Also you can google the school this happened at and find their anti-discrimination policy.

Edited by Berta

Thank you Berta.  We are actually working with master gunny on this. He has asked that we do what we can but before we do anything we contact him for permission.  He is in the middle of moving back where he came from because can't afford to stay. The real sad part of this to me is that 25 years ago I was in this school and in the ROTC program here. We are walking a fine line because the last thing we want is to cause any problems for the kids. I will definitely Google what you suggested.