Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do I Qualify

Rate this question

diver

Question

Hello everyone. I am looking at filing for SSDI and I don’t know what I am facing. I have herd lots of nightmares from it. I will be leaving work this month and starting voc rehab. I am unable to continue to do the work that I have been doing for 9 years. I am only 41 and here is my list of service connected problems.

Depression 50%
Lumbar strain 40%
Tinnitus 10%
Right ankle sprain 20%
Left ankle sprain 10%
Left knee instability 10%
Left knee chrondromalacia 10%
Right knee chrondromalacia 10%
Left knee limitation of extention 10%
Right knee limitation of extention 10%

What would be my odds. Again I know nothing about this. I was never planning on this until I have been told by many friends and family to do it.

Thanks for your thoughts and any pointers on how to do it

Diver

Diver, I just noticed, we are about the same age. Not really funny but, at least we know, there are others out there in the same boat as we are. I'm sitting out here waiting for the functional capacity exam on my hands. This makes two now. One for my back and now the hands. Different agency though. This process stinks all to hell brother. Hang in there.

• HadIt.com Elder

Diver I don't know if this might be useful but this is what I have done to prepare for my cases. In order to file for disability retirement if you are still working. You are going to need an application submitted to SS office. Whether you get the claim approved or denied is irrelevant for your application for disability retirement you have to have an SSDI/SSI application in the works. I filed mine in anticipation for the evidence that the DOL, VA, and AFPC was ignoring. These agencies will require those records in order to process your application. With that high of a rating you should be on the more positive side of getting approved, however, I can tell you from experience, you think the VA is scandalous, you haven't seen nothing yet. I've seen some of your posts but I don't recall if you are working? Are you still employed?

ArNG11 - There is no SSDI retirement. SSDI is a disability insurance/income that you've paid into by working. SSI is Supplemental Security Income and is for people w/o enough work credits for SSDI but are disabled. It's kinda like welfare. SSR is social security retirement and requires the claimant to be a minimum of 62yo to receive a reduced retirement rate. SSDI pays the full retirement rate, now, you would receive at the currently full retirement age of 66yo.

pr

You're right PR. I have the work credits but since I'm still trying to hang in there and still working I'm going to get denied. For me I was trying to get my ducks in a row. I'm getting warnings at work and was trying to get things lined out. It's kind of weird and I get a lot of looks. I can't stand this predicament.

I just received the denial letter today for ssdi but yesterday I received notice that I have been determined to be 100 P&T from the VA. Happy and pissed all at the same time. I will file a disagreement and send them the new ratings from the VA for them to deny again but I am very lucky to have the VA money to cover the bills.

Diver that is good evidence to use for SSDI. Use the 100% P&T as evidence for SSDI Like you plan. So far I've gotten 3 offers for representation. all 3 want 25 % of retro winnings which seems to be the norm and not terrible. It depends how much time and energy you have. But heh you got the big 100. That should make things a little easier. Make sure you check into all the state and federal bennies. Good luck.