Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Success - Va Does 180 On Reduction

Rate this topic

USMC_VET

USMC_VET, not sure what they doing, why they doing it, and my gut is telling me they are wrong; however, do you want to be right, or do you want the money to hit your bank account? lol

I would say, if it's not about the money then fight for your rights but if you need to get moving then take it now and fight later. My claim was denied and the other in remand. It don't look good for me. Take it from me, I would be singing out loud and doing the happy dance if I was rated 50% percent right now. So - take the deal and go! Once everything get steady and your checks are rolling in, then pursue other actions.

Congratulations on the 50% - trust me when I tell you, there are a whole lot of us, WISHING WE WERE WEARING YOUR SHOES RIGHT NOW!!! Especially me!!! :smile:

Thadine Q.

USMC_VET;

Congrats and my personal belief is to always to do the right thing, even if it's harder or more difficult to do. Generally, the smr evidence is the key, so make it easy for the rater to do their work ands give them whatever they need. As a Marine, I'm sure that you're just used to getting the tough things done right anyway...I have a couple issues right now that I've decided like TBI...that I waited to file for until my first regular claim was mostly finished....rootbeer22

So its almost official.

I have a friend in a different region who is a rater and htey looked up my file and the entry into the VA system is (and will be in the letter)

"In reply to this letter you provided our office with additional medical evidence and testimony speaking to your disability's current severity.

You requested that a new examination and a personal hearing be provided in regards to this issue. Since then, you have provided our office with a private DBQ which is sufficient for rating purposes and have withdrawn these requests. The cumulative evidence of record continues to reflect a disability picture similar to that shown at the time the 50 percent evaluation was previously established. Therefore our proposal to reduce this condition's evaluation is rescinded."

I will really really believe it when i get the letter

70% - PTSD

->50% - OSA (Secondary to PTSD)

30% - Bilateral Pes Planus w/Plantar Fasciitis

30% - Migraines

10% - Tinnitus

20% - Back

0% - bilateral shin splints

Since i had actually filed a NOD on both my migraine rating and the proposal to reduce and now the reduction has been dropped im going to refile a new NOD to make sure they know i am not dropping my request for a hearing for the migraine.

This is what i wrote.

--------------------------------

The XX VARO has formally dropped their proposal for reduction (50% to 30%) for my Service Connected PTSD. In response i dropped my request for a new compensation and pension examination and DRO Hearing for the case.

I wish for it to be known that this dismissal of hearing/exam for Proposal to reduce does not include my request for a hearing and to submit new evidence for my Claim for Migraines. I request that it be known that i still wish to be given a hearing for my request to present new and compelling evidence for my claim for migraines as i believe that the evidence shows that a rating higher than 0% is warranted. I request this hearing not take place within the XX VARO which is the Agency of Original Jurisdiction since i believe this in error as i have moved twice to two different states since my last contact with the XX VARO in early 2013. My Compensation and Pension Examinations took place at XX, XX at the VARO there however i live in XX, Wi and would like to have it take place near my Place of Residence. XX, WI is the closest VARO to myself. If this cannot be done I would request my hearing be conducted by Teleconference or By phone and that i be allowed to submit evidence to the DRO prior to the hearing and go over the evidence in full to make sure all evidence is present at my hearing. I request these options in the order presented as order of precedence. If none of these options are available, and by this i mean unable to be conducted due to legal requirements and not workload, backlog or efficiency for the VA, i request my evidence be submitted and taken to be reviewed by a VSR as a standard claim and considered under the adjudicated Effective date of 9/7/2012 as indicated in Awards letter Decision Date 1/13/2015.

----------------------------------------------------

I dont think i necessarily need a dro hearing to get this done. i have done my homework since the denial and have compiled private phsycian notes, prescription orders, prescriptions through va, headache log and have a consult with Neurologist to occur soon and i think submitting all this evidence is enough for the rater to see a 30%.

Should i wait another month for the neurology consult?

I want to send this out now so that my spot in line for a hearing isnt lost due to them maybe, kindof, possibly confusing the request to drop my hearing/new exam for reduction as a request to drop it all.

I think i will wait until i have the lette rin hand saying the proposal to reduce has been dropped, but wanted to know what everyones opinion was?

Also the 0% was granted as "headaches" and not migraines. is there a difference between the two?

Edited by USMC_VET

70% - PTSD

->50% - OSA (Secondary to PTSD)

30% - Bilateral Pes Planus w/Plantar Fasciitis

30% - Migraines

10% - Tinnitus

20% - Back

0% - bilateral shin splints

• HadIt.com Elder

I think VA uses fear of reduction Vets from asking for increases

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• spazbototto earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Paul Gretza earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Troy Spurlock went up a rank
      Community Regular
    • KMac1181 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • jERRYMCK earned a badge
      Week One Done
  • Our picks

• I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 4 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   
    • Welcome to hadit!  

There are certain rules about community care reimbursement, and I have no idea if you met them or not.  Try reading this:

https://www.va.gov/resources/getting-emergency-care-at-non-va-facilities/

However, (and I have no idea of knowing whether or not you would likely succeed) Im unsure of why you seem to be so adamant against getting an increase in disability compensation.  

When I buy stuff, say at Kroger, or pay bills, I have never had anyone say, "Wait!  Is this money from disability compensation, or did you earn it working at a regular job?"  Not once.  Thus, if you did get an increase, likely you would have no trouble paying this with the increase compensation.  

However, there are many false rumors out there that suggest if you apply for an increase, the VA will reduce your benefits instead.  

That rumor is false but I do hear people tell Veterans that a lot.  There are strict rules VA has to reduce you and, NOT ONE of those rules have anything to do with applying for an increase.  

Yes, the VA can reduce your benefits, but generally only when your condition has "actually improved" under ordinary conditions of life.  

Unless you contacted the VA within 72 hours of your medical treatment, you may not be eligible for reimbursement, or at least that is how I read the link, I posted above. Here are SOME of the rules the VA must comply with in order to reduce your compensation benefits:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.344

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use