• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secure Message to Primary Care

Rate this question

RUREADY

Question

I have been using secure message to my PC all the time but now

all my messages goes to a nurse or somebody and then they send me a reply

we will forward this to your PC doctor.

1) why would I use a secure message to my doctor just to have someone else read it??

2) this got to some law for this right???

3) a secure message should be between you and the doctor and if anyone else read it is this secure???

4) it got to be a law for this kind of crap isn't it ??? I just cant find it

• HadIt.com Elder

No one has to use it but instead of trying to call a message is easier. By the way you also have a reord something that can come in handy when you deal with VA

all conversation whether its a call or a secure message is included in your records

a secure message is suppose to be just that. They do have time to read them why not because it

takes less time to read a message than to make unnecessary appointment.  

tdubya82 I'm having that problem also what if she don't tell the doctor or forward the email

Its not the nurse job to read emails and if it is then the nurse don't have any work to do.

A lot of VA doctor can barely speak English so how can they read an email. Then she is a one finger typer

This could be the problem. MY messages has  the doctor name no one else. And if someone else reads it

than its an open message just like the forums anybody can read it. The doctor waste a lot of time typing the

notes in your file most private doctor have a recorder they speak and it types the notes.

Edited by RUREADY

Nurses are part of your primary care "circle of trust", its not as though they dont read your records anyways, since they always do the initial check ups and ask questions before you see the.  All of my messages go to the nurses as well then to the doc if he needs to answer it personally. 
As stated above this is because every doctor may have 20-30 patients or more, while there are 3x as many nurses as every doctor, its just a matter of efficiency. 

If you message your doc and the nurse responds and you are not satisfied with the answer just respond and request that the doc respond back, etc.

Its a secure message in the sense that this is not a message on a VA forum or the like and is sent and received using cryptographic properties the same as any messaging in government systems, it does not denote EYES ONLY for your particular PCP but EYES ONLY for the VA.

If you have an issue just CALL your PCP, he wont answer but ask for him personally to call you back.  Dont abuse that or they just want call you anymore.  This is part of your record which is nice because you can control it.  I use secure messaging to my advantage in this way.

Often when you go to an appointment you may in that appointment talk about back pain as well as some other issues, however the back pain or something you are looking to claim later doesnt show up in the exam notes, which hurts you since you arent creating a record of your complaint about this issue.  its how the VA is hurting me with my headache claim, they said i only "complained" about it in january of 2015 while claiming it has been going on for 10 years since i was blown up in 2005.  That is not true i mentioned it in my post deployment paperwork, in my PCP visits in 2007 and 2011,12,13.  however they only start to show up in 2013.  Why? because it was never written down in the exam notes, it was overshadowed by other 'more important' issues at the time.

So what i do now is this.  Before every visit or when i want to schedule a visit (select "appointment" in the message to your PCP) i list out everything i want them to know about why im coming in for a visit. This way even if they forget to mention it in the exam notes I now have, as part of my record, a long message regarding symptoms, pain, etc.

Use the tools to your advantage when you can.  ITs a jacked up system for sure, but play their game the way they have designed it and bend it at the edges where your can.

My PC wont respond to me but she will order exams or xrays. Just last week I

had a CT scan of chest. I ask who order it was told my PC but I'm having back pain

I wrote her for why it was order and what the results are its been a week No response.

I will forward it to your doctor form Joan. Who the hell is Joan I never heard of her I don't even know

my darn nurse because everytime it be another taking information, than the doctor ask the same question

the nurse ask. A nurse is not require to read my message to my doctor. This was the whole ideal for having secure message

where you talk right with your doctor and not anybody who answer. A lot of things I don't tell the nurse because

its not her darn business. So if the doctor tell her what I ask than that's on the doctor. What I tell my doctor is

private between him and I. I also ask why was Joan answering my emails, you never know who you are talking

with but I suppose to tell Bob my business Now who is Bob, this is the kind of response I get from them that suppose to

go to the doctor and me. I don't like that and I will keep pushing the issue to the higher ups until they give me a reason

for why it is with anybody who answers.

They might screen the messages also because some doctors was getting treating messages

from patients about pain pills. I know a lot of that has been going on about pills and cutting

people off for a fail drug test patient has been taking them 10-15 years now no more. Just guessing

because it has not always been this way at Augusta VA just when I change to Atlanta VA. But seems

it everywhere now is that correct.

• HadIt.com Elder

PUREADY,

Just let your PCP know about all this  he/she may start reading your secure messages if they know...

also maybe you should be a little more understanding and try not to have that kind of attitude on your shoulders.

Don't make the VA Harder to deal with than it already is.

jmo

..............Buck

Edited by Buck52