• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secure Message to Primary Care

Rate this question

RUREADY

Question

I have been using secure message to my PC all the time but now

all my messages goes to a nurse or somebody and then they send me a reply

we will forward this to your PC doctor.

1) why would I use a secure message to my doctor just to have someone else read it??

2) this got to some law for this right???

3) a secure message should be between you and the doctor and if anyone else read it is this secure???

4) it got to be a law for this kind of crap isn't it ??? I just cant find it

I agree, that there is no HIPAA violation as access to the data is limited to the VA. 

However, I think people need to understand that anything you put in writing, using a secure message,  becomes part of the notes in your file. 

And here lies the issue, I'm not sure veterans understand how this works, at least I didn't.  So, if you have something you feel is sensitive or embarrassing and you don't want everyone at the VA to know, you may want to discuss the issue face-to-face. 

I think it is important for us to respect the sensitivity of the veteran rather than suggesting its okay for all VA medical staff to know everything there is to know about their issues.

Just my $.02.

As stated above there is now violation, I have been using Secure Messaging since the beginning, and I have never gotten thru to an Actual Dr, always the Nurse or PA.

im wondering what violation this is?  Its not HIPPA because its only HIPPA if say the doc or nurse say showed a copy of this in a new interview or say left a copy of the message on the floor of the lobby etc. 

I agree, that there is no HIPAA violation as access to the data is limited to the VA. 

However, I think people need to understand that anything you put in writing, using a secure message,  becomes part of the notes in your file. 

And here lies the issue, I'm not sure veterans understand how this works, at least I didn't.  So, if you have something you feel is sensitive or embarrassing and you don't want everyone at the VA to know, you may want to discuss the issue face-to-face. 

I think it is important for us to respect the sensitivity of the veteran rather than suggesting its okay for all VA medical staff to know everything there is to know about their issues.

Just my $.02.

I do think this needs to be explained better to vets.

That what they send say or have recorded in their records is viewable to both Medical and COMP (although comp should only be looking at pertinent issues to a claim).

The real thing for vets to understand is that you are in a government system, privacy is a moot point really in terms of one to one communications about issues, once you mention something to the VA its going to not just be between you and him/her but you and the VA system as a whole.   Even face to face if its recorded in exam notes is going to be public.  It comes down to the shitty choice of treatment vs pride/privacy.  I would rather talk about something embarassing than letting it go untreated, but thats a personal choice.  there is no privacy in the VA system.  Could it be better? yeah, but so could a lot of things.  With the VA always assume the lowest standard possible and then you may still be dissapointed.

• HadIt.com Elder

And what makes anyone think that a "private" conversation with a VAPCP or nurse doesn't make it into the records in some manner or form?

Remember that bureaucratic entities such as the VA operate on the principle that "paper is everything", even when it's wrong or outdated.  

Personal privacy is something that bureaucrats don't like, unless it happens to be theirs.

One of the longstanding concerns has to do with what the government does with information. The classic VA bit concerning "competency" is just one well known example. Government employees are generally required to report things that the average person would not.

Decades ago, due to job duties, I had access to government secure and classified data networks. It, at the time, did not restrict access or prevent access to information that did not directly relate to duties and tasks.  In the Vietnam era, (long ago and far away) my job description included full access to crypto systems that are now totally obsolete, and a matter of history. Again, the level of access was such that virtually anything sent or received was available to me. For more than twenty years, my wife and family only knew loose generalities concerning what I did for a living.

Trust was the key. Today, too many cannot be trusted, due to various reasons, be it political, economic, belief, or just plain stupidity.  

Tid bit. --  In the far past, pre-satellite days, virtually every undersea cable overseas call was recorded. Post satellite, the number of calls increased such that the task was overwhelming. In many "modern" European countries, it was possible to direct dial virtually anyplace in the world that had a modern phone system in the late 70's. At the time I could direct dial Moscow, South American countries, and naturally, the US. But you could not call me from the US without going through an overseas operator. As long as the call was placed in this manner, it was potentially subject to recording.

In the 60's, when phone calls were still analog, some government lines/circuits had sensitive intrusion detectors that immediately terminated the call or modem connection if anything untoward was detected. Such lines often ran through normal phone company facilities, and were marked such that normal line maintenance activities left them alone.

Edited by Chuck75

• HadIt.com Elder

Not sure what to advise on PUREADY Question? Other than ask his PCP About it and tell him/her what he has told us.

However has anyone had any notes missing or taken out of the Myhealthvet notes?& not just an amendum added.but the note completely missing... if so what did you do to get it corrected?

..........Buck

Not sure what to advise on PUREADY Question? Other than ask his PCP About it and tell him/her what he has told us.

However has anyone had any notes missing or taken out of the Myhealthvet notes?& not just an amendum added.but the note completely missing... if so what did you do to get it corrected?

..........Buck

I think that the question has been answered here.  If your definition of privacy is only you and the Doc you dont have it.  If its that no one oustide the VA can see it, you have it...in a way.

There is no law or HIPPA violation for a nurse, who is part of your medical team, viewing and answering secure messages.

If you want things to be "private" between yourself and your doc you can wait until your face to face or request one.  However you have to understand that this conversation will probably be logged ANYWAYS in your exam notes and available for viewing.  There is no way for you to talk to your doc about an issue and be treated for it and for it to be "off the record".  For one this isnt 1920's medicine and this is also a government agency, paperwork is king.

I wish there was a 'fill out Form 45958598509230-2" and you can get a eyes only medical record between you and your PCP only.  There isnt. 

That being said you doc may be amenable to talking face to face for specific issues if you are embarrassed to speak about with a nurse.  However know this issue will be in your record.  Theres no way, that i am aware of that goes around that.

Edited by USMC_VET

Buck52

I haven't had any notes removed from myhealthevet, but I have asked them to amend notes that are clearly in error and they have done so.