• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secure Message to Primary Care

Rate this question

RUREADY

Question

I have been using secure message to my PC all the time but now

all my messages goes to a nurse or somebody and then they send me a reply

we will forward this to your PC doctor.

1) why would I use a secure message to my doctor just to have someone else read it??

2) this got to some law for this right???

3) a secure message should be between you and the doctor and if anyone else read it is this secure???

4) it got to be a law for this kind of crap isn't it ??? I just cant find it

If you want you can always request a new PCP provider if yours is not fulfilling their duties to you.  However i dont think you are going to get a direct line to the doc, thats the procedure in every hospital, nurses do a overview of the requests from patients, they do what they can at their level, if not in their wheelhouse they push it up.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

The VA Patients Bill of Rights says you have the right to choose your provider. Tell them that you choose to have your secure messages responded to by the person you sent them to, not an intermediary.

The VA Patients Bill of Rights says you have the right to choose your provider. Tell them that you choose to have your secure messages responded to by the person you sent them to, not an intermediary.

I get he doesnt want nurses to be intermediaries or to see his medical information, but thats jsut not going to happen, your not going to be seeing a PCP and only the doc talks to you and looks at your medical information with no nurses seeing what is going on with you.  You might be able to get this going to a private medical doctor and explaining the situation, however you are going to pay for that privilege of having a very personal experience.  Im not saying its 100% impossible in this situation but with PCP handling upwards of tens or hundreds of patients to have no nurse/np/pa interaction and viewing of medical information is just not possible at the VA.

The VA established the secure messaging system.  It is a part of the team care concept now.  It is answered by the same RN normally, I had my PCP answer before, but not often.  It must be up to the PCP to do so, but most of the time the RN replies.

I can see how the situation pushes them into this.  One PCP can have up to 2500 Vets to deal with, and most of them are seen 2x per year.  That's 5,000 - 30 minute appointments a year, or an average of 96 per week.  Making the system work for me is my primary goal, and this is the framework that I have to work with, so if an RN answers, as long as it seems to be a competent reply to my situation, then I am ok with it.

End of game, either way, VA accountability is established.

I believe the term 'Secure Messaging" has to do with being more secure than Gmail etc, as opposed to going right to your doctor.

My bank also has secure messaging for mortgage transactions.

"VA offers Secure Messaging - a way to communicate with your VA health care team." https://www.myhealthevet.va.gov/mhv-portal-web/anonymous.portal?_nfpb=true&_nfto=false&_pageLabel=spotlightArchive&contentPage=spotlight/10162012_SecureMessaging.html

So, your interpretation of what Secure Messaging is differs from what's advertised.

As stated above there is now violation, I have been using Secure Messaging since the beginning, and I have never gotten thru to an Actual Dr, always the Nurse or PA.