Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Social Security Questions

Rate this question

foreveryoung

Question

I thing i have seen several Vets awarded SSD or SSI in the past, , while rated 100%. Can that be done? or is there a dollar cap?

I called SS and as soon as I told them I was 100% they said I make to much money, plus I haven't paid in for over 5 years.

Reference The Social Security Administration website to ensure you'd meet the criteria for SSDI.  JMO your aren't entitled to SSI.  Which amounts to a $721 payment.

The crazy one here,  it really depends on the date you claim you became disabled.  The only thing you can do to be sure is to file a claim for SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance). It is true as to being paid 100% service connected you make too much money for SSI ( Supplemental Security Income).  SSDI is for people who paid in the social security system but SSI is for low income people and it is income based.  The key would be to prove you became disabled within five years of your last employment.  Your SSDI claim will  most likely be denied all the way up to the ALJ (Administration Law Judge) and the judge decision will either grant your SSDI claim or deny it.  You will need a law dog.  Don't listen to any SSA clerk over the phone.  File a claim and get a written denial and then get a lawyer.  Most lawyers have a you don't pay if you don't win clause.  You may have to really look for a good lawyer because some will take your case and some will reject your claim because of the five year gap but it can be done.

Don't go by Lay advice when deciding not to file a claim. Check in with a local SSDI Attorney. A large number of SSDI claims are awarded on appeal, usually within 1 year of filing the claim. If there is even a chance to get your Full Boat SS amount now by filing for SSDI, not a difficult decision, go for it.

Get back to us with what the SSDI Lawyer has to say.

Does your state have the 100% Disabled Vet Property Tax Exemption?

Semper Fi

They are correct above, but remember that to receive SSDI you had to worked within the last 5 years. I recently was helping a local Vet that missed the 5 yr mark by a few months. So he went back to work part time at a Hospital with patient services. After a year there, then he is going to resign and seek SSDI.