Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denied Sleep Apnea Claim

Rate this question

paulstrgn

Question

I am new to this site and I will apologize ahead of time incase my question seems pretty basic. I was recently denied sleep apnea and hypertension as not being service connected. I will only ask about my sleep apnea at this time. I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea (I retired from the military in 1995). I use to snore very loud while in the military according to my ex-wife. My question is will a statement from my ex-wife be enough to justify my sleep apnea? I was also given a service connected rating for my scoliosis of 20%, I have read online that spine problems can cause sleep apnea. Do you feel that between a statement from my ex-wife and the problems I have had with my spine would be enough to receive a rating for sleep apnea? Any suggestions on anything else I should add to the appeal? Thanks in advance for your advice. 

Edited by paulstrgn

I am not an attorney or an a credited VA rep. These are my personal opinions and experiences, always remember what worked for me may not work for you.

You as the veteran are your own best advocate and no one knows your disabilities better than you. It is highly recommended that you as the veteran research and verify that any opinion given meets your specific situation.

I do have a sleep study which I had submitted with my initial claim. I will speak to my doctors to see what they say. Is it better to see a VA doctor for this or a military doctor? Just curious, I have never been to the VA as of yet.

I am not an attorney or an a credited VA rep. These are my personal opinions and experiences, always remember what worked for me may not work for you.

You as the veteran are your own best advocate and no one knows your disabilities better than you. It is highly recommended that you as the veteran research and verify that any opinion given meets your specific situation.

I am hoping that the military doctor will write it in my medical records that my SA is caused by my scoliosis. I have also read that hypertension also causes SA. I am lucky since I am retired Air Force and have the privilege to see military doctors. I have found that most are willing to help write the documentation (if it is truly connected). I appreciate the advice and input. 

I think it's the other way around. Sleep apnea causes hypertension. If you file as hypertension caused by sleep apnea it will be denied. I think you would first have to connect the sleep apnea then file for hypertension as a secondary. But you will need a nexus letter with out a doubt