Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VSO uses VA email Address!

Rate this question

pen

Question

I noticed that VSOs use @va.gov VA email addresses. This includes many from VVA, MOPH, and AMVETS.

This means the VA has access to the messages between the claimant and the so-called "advocate." This is how close the VSO and the VA work. The owner of an email system owns all messages on that system. So the VA can read all the correspondence the veteran sends. These VSOs are puppets. The VSO is creature of the VA.

VSO's are trained and accredited by the US Department of Veterans Affairs to provide assistance to veterans

http://www.military.com/benefits/veteran-benefits/veteran-service-officers.html

Im well aware of that. I have a MS in InfoSec. But you also assume that the users of the computers (the VSO's) have no protections in place under the law for those computers, regardless of whether or not they are within the same domain. Don't make assumptions based on supposition- it just feeds the conspiracy theorist and ultimately creates noise and drama that don't need to be there. You don't KNOW how the VA has their rules set up for those users in the building, and you don't KNOW that the VSOs don't have their own sub domain. Ultimately, you assume the worst of us, the IT people, to have no scruples or knowledge of our own protections over whether or not to hand over information. Ive lost jobs before because I would not circumvent IT policies for the whim of some manager or HR person. Many others of us in the profession have, and will continue to do so. Some of the certifications I hold require me to adhere to a code of conduct or face removal of those licenses. No licences/certifications, no job, for example. 

Does the VSO have your best interests in mind?

He/she does not personally have regard for you.

A VSO sees your claim number.

A VSO sees your Cfile and medical files.

A VSO knows VA regulations.

A VSO is subject to their own limitations or processes like

any other imperfect human being.

A VSO is trained to represent your claim at VA/BVA.

Can you trust your VSO with your private information and to apply it properly for benefits you seek?

Edited by sunnyh

Very Well, broken soldier, since you asked for citations of VARO shredding,  here are a few:  (6 out of 10 RO's checked, showed evidence of shredding..that is 60% of RO's checked).  

1.   We reviewed approximately 438,000 documents awaiting destruction in gray shredding bins at the 10 VAROs we inspected, and identified 155 claims-related documents requiring the initials of employees and supervisors. Examples of the remaining documents included scratch paper, envelopes, internally generated papers, draft or duplicate decisions and letters, and training materials. VARO staff incorrectly placed 69 of the 155 claims-related documents (45 percent) in the gray shredding bins at 6 of the VAROs. These documents were not available in the veterans’ claims folders or VBA’s electronic systems.

2. Source:  VAOIG  report:  http://www.va.gov/oig/pubs/VAOIG-15-04652-146.pdf

Need more?   

3.  Here is ANOTHER VOIG report documenting shredding at LA VARO:

http://www.va.gov/oig/pubs/VAOIG-15-04652-448.pdf

4. You say you dont trust VAOIG?  I dont either, but here is one from Fox News:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/18/va-accused-shredding-documents-needed-for-veterans-claims.html

I could do more, but I just dont have time to list them all.  But, I will do ONE more that did not get covered up by VA, at least not completely:

How about Cushman, as follows, where VA falsified records in order to deny benefits for Mr. Cushman:

The medical record before the Regional Office and Board, however, differed from the medical record on file at the DVA Outpatient Clinic.   Namely, one of the doctor's entries had been altered to change the language “Is worse + must stop present type of work” to instead read, “Is worse + must stop present type of work, or at least [ ] bend [ ] stoop lift.” (emphasis added, brackets indicate illegible or stray marks).   The altered record also contained the additional entry, “says he is applying for reevaluation of back condition,” which does not appear in the official record on file with the Outpatient Clinic.   The alterations appeared in the last, i.e., most recent, doctor's notes documenting Mr. Cushman's condition. "

Source:  http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-federal-circuit/1346393.html

NOTE:  These are NOT isolated cases, noting the VAOIG found evidence in 6 VARO's, and they didnt bother to check them all.  Of course, these are all AFTER the 2008 shredding incident which involved multiple Regional Offices.  

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

broncovet

I heard about shredgate. & what a mess

ok question  if the veterans C-File was all shredded  how then will he prove his claims  if all his records were shredded by the VA? 

Since its the veteran responsibility to prove his/her medical evidence  How will the VA help with that?

if that many Claims Folders were destroyed How can Veterans  that needed medical files from his C-File make a claim and win it?

Don't forget about redacted medical terms on actual medical reports/records.

The problem is not the VA claims system, its some of the lazy workers.

Most VA regional workers are wonderful and judge solely on evidence available; however there appear to be workers whom cut corners.

That ultimately hurts veterans confidence in the system.