VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can a Veteran be "kicked out" of the VA health care system?

Rate this question

dakdrs

Question

I'm new to posting and didn't know where to post this, so I started a New Topic.

Hello, just looking for input from anyone who had a similar experience or any advice.

I retired from the Navy in 2004. I don't use the VA for any healthcare but recently found out I'm enrolled and don't remember enrolling.

I had a C & P exam at the Wilmington NC VA clinic 2 months ago. While I was there I noticed the Optometry clinic so I went in said to the staff "I didn't know the VA had different frames to choose from, I thought it was just BC glasses" The staff said "No, there's choices and we do eye exams too"  I said "I'm not registered in the VA healthcare system, so I can't" The staff said "Are you sure you're not registered? What's your name and last 4" She looked and I'm in the system unbeknownst to me. So I made an appointment for August 25th.

I got a message to call the Wilmington NC VA clinic. Naturally thinking it was in reference to my upcoming appointment, I returned the call. When I called back, I identified myself and the man on the phone said "What's your last 4" I told him and he said "I need to schedule you for an appointment with a General Physician"  I said "Why" the man said "You have to see a General Physician annually or you'll be kicked out of the VA healthcare system"  I told him "I don't use the VA for any healthcare" and he said "I'll let them know" and he hung up.

Since I don't use the VA for healthcare I shouldn't be concerned right? My concern is that other Veterans are being threatened with being "kicked out".

I can't believe that a Vet can be kicked out of the VA healthcare system but I wouldn't be surprised that the VA would do that.

So before I call someone in charge at the Wilmington NC VA clinic seeking answers for the "kicked out" threat, I wanted some feedback if the VA can kick a Vet out of the healthcare system for not using VA healthcare.  I did a quick google search to find a policy but didn't find anything.

Thank you for any assistance or guidance.

I am a 100% vet who gets all of my care outside the VA after my VA psychiatrist said I no longer needed controlled medications or care.  I still need to go to the VA once a year, it is for funding as GiRin says. 

As for getting kicked out of the VA it has been pretty difficult for me.  I was dealing with some severe problems at one time and I had a doctor become difficult with me saying multiple times I was not describing my pain to where he could understand it.  I made a statement to the doctor about giving him the same pain I have and he walked out.  I was asked to leave by a nurse and flagged.  I also had an incident with a VA volunteer who said I looked weird in the prosthetic I was using and I lost it.  I am not proud of this, I was flagged for years.  I had to do two weeks locked down in a psychiatric ward.  For at least a year I had to have a psychiatrist present for all of my appointments.

As I said I am not proud of this but it is what it is.

Edited by vetquest

DAJdrs, it  is normal SOP , as far as I know, for any vet in the VA health Care system to get a General Medical physical from the VA first-

before they get VA health care-for other appointments-I could be wrong but it just makes sense-

The Patient's advocate at this VAMC might have the policy on that.Or maybe they changed it.Best to find out.

The OP was a bit ago but to anyone else researching it I thought I would post. I would believe you misunderstood the phrase "kicked out", thinking it meant it was some kind of punitive action and you would be ineligible for future services. It has actually been stated a few times in roundabout ways, it seems, but you have to be seen once a year by your primary Dr. or you go into a kind of inactive status, where you have to go back and "reapply," to request to have VA healthcare services again. I would imagine this in necessary to keep openings available to veterans who are "actively" seeking care and so that providers would not have to care for caseloads 2x-3x-4x they already have, and pay mind and energy to folks who may not ever come seem them again for healthcare. I could be mistaken, but this is to my experience as a user of VA services and as a veterans service officer/advocate.

• HadIt.com Elder

If it was me I would at a minimum go for the yearly or sixth month exam at the VA.  This keeps you in the system and these dumb asses may actually discover some problem that you are not aware of in time to do something about it.  By using the VA I did get SMC housebound which adds a few more bucks.  The VA did it all for me by doing a CT scan of my leg that showed some blockage.  I had a lump on my leg and the VA did a CT scan on it.  I don't think many private doctors would have done this . I don't know if it was bad medicine or good medicine but it worked for me via my friendly PCP.  If it is free I am not turning it down, but I would not let VA operate on me.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
10 minutes ago, john999 said:

If it was me I would at a minimum go for the yearly or sixth month exam at the VA.  This keeps you in the system and these dumb asses may actually discover some problem that you are not aware of in time to do something about it.

This is very good advice. It makes getting prescription refills a lot easier because the VA will not refuse because you haven't visited them in a while.