Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Psychiatrist refuses to sign paperwork

Rate this question

seminoles

Question

My psychiatrist at the VA has refused to sign paperwork for me to obtain a service dog from an organization that provides them for for disabled veterans with panic disorders, etc.  She states the VA precludes her from doing so.  I then asked her if she would submit the necessary paperwork for me to be a part of the new pilot program which the VA just announced that is for mental health that impacts mobility.  I am diagnosed (by her) with agoraphobia with panic disorder.  She mumbled that she knew nothing about it and would "look into it".  She sent me a message through secure messaging today after I reminded her and sent a message to the patient advocate because I am tired of them just increasing my klonopin every few months along with every other medication.  At this point, if I take all the klonopin she recommends I won't have a panic attack because I will be on my couch drooling all day long or asleep.  So, my question is if I can't get my worthless psychiatrist to do anything, the patient advocate seems to think that the VA doesn't pay for service dogs...........which I wasn't even asking them to do.  Sign paperwork was what I was asking for initially but with the pilot program honestly I am a perfect candidate. Who is above them?  I am not post 9/11 and have no other health insurance so just going to see someone else isn't really an option but getting drugged into addiction is not something that is something that a think is "treatment" either.  So drug me, of course, sign paperwork for a service dog....hell no?  Someone suggested I contact my congressperson, Bob whoever that is, the head of the women's clinic (not sure why that matters) and news stations (I have agoraphobia so that probably wouldn't be good for me honestly).  I just want to be able to get a service dog so I can take less drugs hopefully and go to my doctor's appoinments without my hubby or adults kids having to take me because I turn into a panic attack mess, I don't think that is so much to ask.  If anyone knows about this mysterious regulation the VA has that prevents them from signing paperwork from all of these organizations that provide service dogs for any reason, not just psychiatric I would love to know what it is! 

• HadIt.com Elder
On 8/31/2016 at 4:09 PM, seminoles said:

My psychiatrist at the VA has refused to sign paperwork for me to obtain a service dog from an organization that provides them for for disabled veterans with panic disorders, etc.  She states the VA precludes her from doing so.  I then asked her if she would submit the necessary paperwork for me to be a part of the new pilot program which the VA just announced that is for mental health that impacts mobility.  I am diagnosed (by her) with agoraphobia with panic disorder.  She mumbled that she knew nothing about it and would "look into it".  She sent me a message through secure messaging today after I reminded her and sent a message to the patient advocate because I am tired of them just increasing my klonopin every few months along with every other medication.  At this point, if I take all the klonopin she recommends I won't have a panic attack because I will be on my couch drooling all day long or asleep.  So, my question is if I can't get my worthless psychiatrist to do anything, the patient advocate seems to think that the VA doesn't pay for service dogs...........which I wasn't even asking them to do.  Sign paperwork was what I was asking for initially but with the pilot program honestly I am a perfect candidate. Who is above them?  I am not post 9/11 and have no other health insurance so just going to see someone else isn't really an option but getting drugged into addiction is not something that is something that a think is "treatment" either.  So drug me, of course, sign paperwork for a service dog....hell no?  Someone suggested I contact my congressperson, Bob whoever that is, the head of the women's clinic (not sure why that matters) and news stations (I have agoraphobia so that probably wouldn't be good for me honestly).  I just want to be able to get a service dog so I can take less drugs hopefully and go to my doctor's appoinments without my hubby or adults kids having to take me because I turn into a panic attack mess, I don't think that is so much to ask.  If anyone knows about this mysterious regulation the VA has that prevents them from signing paperwork from all of these organizations that provide service dogs for any reason, not just psychiatric I would love to know what it is! 

I know what you mean I did the same thing..it even says on the DBQ a VA Dr or Phyistrist can fill out this form.

I tried to show my VAMH Phyistrist and all she would say  ''I need to go see  the DAV they help with claims    she said'' that was not her job'', I said even when the form says you can fill it out ? she refuse to fill it out..so I got through my PTSD Claim without the DBQ

....................Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Most VA shrinks I have had over the years have a main concern which is CYA.  To me they sell their oath when they join the VA.  I had one good shrink over the last 45 years and I knew him as a private doctor before he joined the VA circus.  He did it to complete his 30 years as a federal/military employee to get the pension.  I would go see him and he would spend 30 minutes telling me the VA was worthless and laughing.  He came through for me once when I was locked up at the VA for a few days going cold turkey from opiates.   These VA shrinks have no guts by and large.  They will not stick their necks out one inch for their clients.  If you really want help you have to get a private therapist to talk to about things.  People with PTSD and all other mental health issues have the same sorts of problems other people have except their reactions to these problems may be extreme.  I used my private psychologist to help me see myself as others saw me.   He held a mirror up to me so I could see how I came across to others and to untangle some of my paranoid ideas.  That helped more than a ton of pills.  The thing is that costs of care have gone up so much most of us cannot afford care and insurance will not pay much for outpatient care.  It is upside down where they pay for being in lockup for 30 days, but not for an hour a week care to keep you out of lockup.

6 hours ago, john999 said:

Most VA shrinks I have had over the years have a main concern which is CYA.  To me they sell their oath when they join the VA.  I had one good shrink over the last 45 years and I knew him as a private doctor before he joined the VA circus.  He did it to complete his 30 years as a federal/military employee to get the pension.  I would go see him and he would spend 30 minutes telling me the VA was worthless and laughing.  He came through for me once when I was locked up at the VA for a few days going cold turkey from opiates.   These VA shrinks have no guts by and large.  They will not stick their necks out one inch for their clients.  If you really want help you have to get a private therapist to talk to about things.  People with PTSD and all other mental health issues have the same sorts of problems other people have except their reactions to these problems may be extreme.  I used my private psychologist to help me see myself as others saw me.   He held a mirror up to me so I could see how I came across to others and to untangle some of my paranoid ideas.  That helped more than a ton of pills.  The thing is that costs of care have gone up so much most of us cannot afford care and insurance will not pay much for outpatient care.  It is upside down where they pay for being in lockup for 30 days, but not for an hour a week care to keep you out of lockup.

I can't even find a psychiatrist or therapist around here that will see me as a cash patient, or a regular doctor for that matter.  It seems since the Affordable Care Act, no insurance means no cash patients at offices so I use the VA or nothing.  It kinda sucks honestly but it is what it is.  I have even tried to get my Psychiatrist to answer questions through secure messaging like my other providers, and she will just answer with we will talk about it at your next appointment so there is no record of what she says other than what she puts down in notes after an appointment.  Convenient.  I contacted my congresswoman last week, I am sick of just being drugged and the amount of meds isn't even okay at this point.

9 hours ago, Buck52 said:

I think or in  my opinion  it makes a world of difference if you click with your psychiatrist or therapist.

I have Chronic PTSD with unspecific panic disorders

I have Acrophobia bad bad

I been going to a  VA LCSW Male therapist for two years now  and he don't seem to be helping me any,  he uses stories to tell and ask me things like what will it hurt to go out & meet people  the people are not going to hurt you..(.I said IDK you tell me) and he ask a question with a question  and I really don't see this helping me at all & each therapy session seems to be the same old bore ...I do need a service Dog..I Seem to feel better and safe with a Dog.

I think I do better or listen better with a female, My older MD PCP is Male  he relocated to North Carolina  and was replace with a female MD PCP...Ever since I been using her as my PCP she has helped me with my health problems a lot better and gets me into the specialty clinics and listens to me about my health problems..I can talk to her better...I don't know why? but it seems I get along with women better than men..maybe a personal problem  but  this is just from my past experience.

And I just been using what the VA gives me...So Do we veterans have a choice who we see?

I'm not sure a female therapist would be any better than the male therapist I have now? 

I was talking with other veterans at MH and they mention I request a female therapist  They seem to help them better...I just don't won't to piss off my male therapist   they can make things hard for veteran..it seems they all pride them-self thinking their helping  when in all its making things a lot worse for me...if that makes a lick of sense?

sometimes change is a good thing!

............................Buck

I had a really great therapist from 2006-2010, she then transferred to another job within the VA.  I had the same psychiatrist from 2006-2015 and he and I also clicked, he got me, he knew that I had a very clear understanding of when I was and wasn't doing well.  He respected my views on medication and we discussed pros and cons, different meds and all the choices I had.  I am very sensitive to medications and have multiple mental health diagnosis which makes it very difficult to treat my anxiety and panic disorder because I have bipolar as well, he knew and understood the balance act but also knew that I was getting progressively worse.   She just wants to prescribe meds, more meds, new meds and not discuss them with me.  She is also not who he had wanted me to switch to when he transferred but after 8 months of waiting to see a new psychiatrist I took who they gave me because they didn't give me a choice.