VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

IU and SSDI

Rate this question

Trapperx6

Question

I was just rated 70% for PTSD bringing my total disability to 90%.  I have worked very part-time as a bus driver but have been let go due to the meds I'm on and my PTSD.  I am planning on applying for IU and SSDI.  Is there one I should be applying for first or can they be applied for at the same time?   Any thoughts and comments are very much appreciated! 

I was 32 when I got my SSDI in 7 weeks back in 2014. I had the SSDI Physical and Mental exams, but did not have to go in front of the Judge. The SSDI Rep said I had so much going on Medically that they approved me solely on Mental Health and Bone issues. Didnt even look at the other stuff going on. Good luck in a few weeks. Keep us posted

I have a somewhat different perspective.

I received SSDI quickly, 2 months after applying at age 56.  If  I could have held out another 10 years before accepting the pay out,  the increase of pay is $500-$600 more a month. 

If you can get by on what you have I say wait till 62 at least.

But with the SSDI comes Medicare after a 2 year wait- that is also a consideration. the part A cost about $122 a month once it is implemented. ( Part A - Hospital) 

Once you are on TDIU - SSDI if you don't have substantial savings, you have essentially "flatlined" your income level. meaning this with only occasional raises will be your income. 

If you are young this is a big consideration. 

jmo..... crunch the numbers. 

I have never used a. iMO for my medical reasons the VA made me 100% Permanent and total on their own. I only paid for a voc assessment which is a lot less costly less then 500 for my SSA Voc assessment. Luckily since my initial claim was denied from SSA I went from IU 100 or 90% scheduler to 100% P and T my lawyer says I have a good chance because the judge assigned to my case was attorney for a view years before becoming a judge. I am just worried because I blank out on questions asked on the spot. Takes a second to get the answer...not trying to steal anyone’s question sorry I just saw someone was 32 and that’s my age my hearing is next Thursday so stressed of course...

Edited by jfrei

"Once you are on TDIU - SSDI if you don't have substantial savings, you have essentially "flatlined" your income level. meaning this with only occasional raises will be your income. 

If you are young this is a big consideration. 

jmo..... crunch the numbers. "

My opinion......

The average American lives off of 2k a month after taxes.  38k a year gets you maybe 2k a month..

If you collect tdiu and ssdi...on average thats-

Ssdi= 1500 or so

Tdiu= 3000 or so

Thats 4500 a month take home. Equivalent to someone who makes 80k a year.  80k divided by 12 months is aprox 6600 a month.  Minus 33% for taxes and medical and you are at 4400 a month take home.

SO IF YOU CANT LIVE OFF 4500 A MONTH (EQUIVALENT TO SOMEONE WITH AN 80K A YEAR JOB) SOMTHINGS WRONG.

And thats just for starters....my ssdi is 2300.  Because they give me an extra 800 for having kids.  At 70% disabled I get 1800 a month for being married with kids and a kid in college.  4100 a month.  If i was getting 100% from the VA it would be...

Ssdi=2300

Tdiu=3500

5800 a month after taxes.  Equivalent to someone making 100k per year.

I GUESS WHAT IM REALLY TRYING TO SAY IS THERE IS NO REAL CONSIDERATION RATHER YOUNG OR OLD....Your talking about 4500-6000 bucks a month in EARNED benifits.  Unless you have a doctors degree and think you can get a job making 180k a year (10k a month after taxes) all the while having yor significant disibilities........Other than that...Nothing to consider.

• HadIt.com Elder

It depends on where you live because no one in my neighborhood could live off $2000 a month or $4500 a month.   My wife and I live off about $6600 a month but this includes a disability insurance payment,  small OPM pension, TDIU plus SMC "S" and both our SSA pensions.  If you live in Iowa or Kansas in a small town where you can buy a house for $100,000 maybe you can live on $4500 a month if you don't over eat.  The wife and I just went to the store and came back with some bags of groceries and it was $160.  I only owe on a car and have no debts, but $6600 a month does not make me feel rich.  If I need a new roof that will be $7000.  New plumbing, God knows, or if a hurricane destroys my house the first $10,000 comes out of my pocket.  Who here has $100,000 in savings?  This is what you are supposed to have at your finger tips which is about two years income.

1 hour ago, john999 said:

It depends on where you live because no one in my neighborhood could live off $2000 a month or $4500 a month.   My wife and I live off about $6600 a month but this includes a disability insurance payment,  small OPM pension, TDIU plus SMC "S" and both our SSA pensions.  If you live in Iowa or Kansas in a small town where you can buy a house for $100,000 maybe you can live on $4500 a month if you don't over eat.  The wife and I just went to the store and came back with some bags of groceries and it was $160.  I only owe on a car and have no debts, but $6600 a month does not make me feel rich.  If I need a new roof that will be $7000.  New plumbing, God knows, or if a hurricane destroys my house the first $10,000 comes out of my pocket.  Who here has $100,000 in savings?  This is what you are supposed to have at your finger tips which is about two years income.

What is the qualifications for SMC (s)?  Is that pay in addition to what one would get for being 100% disabled, permanent and total for PTSD alone?  I am confused.